One of the island-like peaks so characteristic of Assynt and Coigach, Cul Beag may lack the spiky cuteness of neighbouring Stac Pollaidh, or the impressive scale of nearby Cul Mor, but nevertheless it's a bold sandstone lump that stands very much on its own merits, with a summit view as grand as any. There are shorter ways up, but the approach from the east described here feels less abrupt.
This has been viewed 641 times
DownloadOS maps and some other mapping apps don't allow waypoints
Distance: 6.34 miles (10.20 km)
Total ascent: 710m
Time: 3 – 4 hours (Walking)
to rate this walk.
SummitsCul Beag 769 m
Several laybys on the A835 just south of Knockan Crag, NC184081
Rough and frequently wet on the lower ground, and the trail is indistinct at times. Some steep ground done in both ascent and descent, but no scrambling.
The eastern flanks of Meall Dearg and Cul Beag could feel pretty steep in winter, and would need care in deep snow or icy conditions. Steer clear of the northern crags.
Weather and Hill Conditions: mwis: Northwest Highlands – Met Office: West Highlands
Infrequent bus service from Ullapool to Lochinver: alight about halfway between Strathcanaird and Elphin.
The Corbetts (SMC)
OS Explorer 439 (1:25,000), OS Landranger 15 (1:50,000) Directory Listings:
Find more Listings near this route Tourist info:
Ullapool (0845 22 55 121); Lochinver (0845 22 55 121)
by Dan Bailey UKH
- Beinn Dearg via the Northwest Ridge 1 Feb
- Beinn Liath Mhor a' Ghiubhais Li - small hill with a big name 11 Jan
- Dun da Ghaoithe, Mull 5 Jan
- Sgurr nan Conbhairean and Carn Ghluasaid 19 Dec, 2022
- Sgor na Diollaid 5 Dec, 2022
- Am Faochagach 31 Oct, 2022
- Carn Dearg, Carn Sgulain and A' Chailleach - the Newtonmore Trio 10 Oct, 2022
- Sgurr nan Eag, Sgurr Dubh Mor and Sgurr Alasdair 22 Sep, 2022
- Ben More via A'Chioch 16 Aug, 2022
- Dartmoor North to South 4 Aug, 2022