Stob Coire An Laoigh approach advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Exile 19 Feb 2022

I've not yet climbed in Stob Corrie An Laoigh but would like to. There are various descriptions on how to get to the start of the walk in (tracks / dams / locked gates / bikes) and I'm not sure if the description of the walk in is as easy as it sounds or not. If you have been up there please can you share wisdom on how far you can drive, if a bike is useful, how long it takes, if the walk in description in the SMC Ben guide is adequate and anything else that could be helpful. Many thanks.

newtonmore 19 Feb 2022

don’t go when the snow is deep I have been turned back a couple of times about a lm hour into the walk, apart from that a bike is definitely recommend 

OP Exile 19 Feb 2022
In reply to newtonmore:

So driving to the dam is definitely a thing of the past now? 

Jeff Ingman 19 Feb 2022
In reply to Exile:

I was up there in late November 2017. We cycled (MTB) from the parking up to the dam on forestry roads passing a locked gate on the way, about 4 or 5km and quite tough with a 13kg pack. We then walked for 3.5 hrs to the base of Taliballan. The bike was worth it especially on the journey back! 

OP Exile 19 Feb 2022
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

Thanks Jeff. That makes for quite a long approach all in all then. Is the parking basically the end of the road at Corriechouille?

Drexciyan 19 Feb 2022
In reply to Exile:

Was there earlier this season and was able to drive to the dam - about 2hrs or so walk from there to the crag. The track is rough and very pot-holed in places, so allow for the extra time if you value your car's health, or get your friend to drive!

Jeff Ingman 19 Feb 2022
In reply to Exile:

Sounds like you can drive to the dam now (in your mate's car!) So that's good news for the approach - enjoy!

John Workman 22 Feb 2022
In reply to Jeff Ingman:

A note of caution. The locked gate at the entrance to the forest about a mile from the houses at Corriechoile may be open in the morning but can be locked again in the late afternoon which can cause problems [speaking from personal experience]. 

Best idea is to bike in to 'the dam' - preferably on an E bike which makes it a much more pleasant approach at least as far as the dam. The walk from there up to the crag is / used to be fairly trackless.

DaveHK 22 Feb 2022
In reply to Exile:

As John says driving to the dam is not to be relied upon. If you can't drive to the dam the quickest option is to cycle to it. If you don't have a bike, it's slightly quicker and significantly less boring to drive up to the higher car park and walk along the puggy line to the dam.

OP Exile 22 Feb 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks all. So basically cycle unless you feel like rolling the dice with the gate maybe being locked and the track maybe killing your car. 

arose 23 Feb 2022
In reply to Exile:

Hi Exile.  As others have mentioned you can drive to the dam if the gate is open.  You are just as quick on a bike and its fairly flat for the most part till the last wee uphill which is tough with a climbing sac on.  its an hour and half approach from the dam.  The easiest way for the walk is to come back 100m from the dam parking spot to a wee pull in (you could park or leave bikes here) and theres a bit between two fences that you can follow up to the "bench" noted in the SMC description.  This is a lot more pleasant than going over the overpass at the dam and slogging up to the bench.  Once there follow the descritiption from the guidebook - its a bit of a disheartning approach but pretty easy really.  Theres a good abseil spot from a pinnacle above blue rinse/ centrepoint which is worth taking tat for.  Works with 50m ropes.  Makes it easier to get a couple of routes in and not having to commit to the slopes at the ends of the crag.

arose 23 Feb 2022
In reply to arose:

and personally I wouldnt walk the old puggy line - its really boggy and you have to cross a lot of ravines

DaveHK 23 Feb 2022
In reply to arose:

> and personally I wouldnt walk the old puggy line - its really boggy and you have to cross a lot of ravines

There are several burn crossings but all are straightforward, definitely not what I'd describe as ravines and there's a decent path. It's a bit shorter than walking up the forest track and less soul destroying.

Post edited at 10:33

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...