Raeburns, SCnL, Ne'er Day

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Many thanks to the strong team (who, they?) who broke trail all the way into and up Raeburn's Route yesterday, though I'd have preferred the easier option of traversing right to the arete rather than the hard direct way that you went to the tower.  Cheers.

A cracking day but rubbish climbing conditions, I'd say.

 Michael Gordon 03 Jan 2021
In reply to Jim at Craigdhu:

I'm happy to read news articles for some reason (maybe because at least they only relate to significant ascents), but I don't think many of us want to read folk blowing their own trumpets in the forums about getting out.

 mike123 03 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon: as I often think , I'm clearly not " one of us " then . I'm put in mind of an old mate of mine who would have said in a very thick Geordie  accent , often hammed upm for effect : " who put you in charge like "  . To OP : glad you had a good day . Some people can still get out some can't . Some people like to post about it . Some don't . Personal choice ? 

In reply to mike123:

Many thanks Mike, you're a gentleman.

You need only check the number of times that I've used this forum to appreciate that I'm not one to blow my trumpet. 

However I was curious to know who it was ahead of us because they did a superb job of breaking trail and leading the route.  Despite the modern social media age of posts, blogs, blags, brags, etc, they have been commendable quiet.  I'm also interested to know how they would grade that corner, which I found ruddy 'ard.

Long may this forum continue to have posts from active climbers.

In reply to Jim at Craigdhu:

> Many thanks Mike, you're a gentleman.

> You need only check the number of times that I've used this forum to appreciate that I'm not one to blow my trumpet. 

> However I was curious to know who it was ahead of us because they did a superb job of breaking trail and leading the route.  Despite the modern social media age of posts, blogs, blags, brags, etc, they have been commendable quiet.  I'm also interested to know how they would grade that corner, which I found ruddy 'ard.

> Long may this forum continue to have posts from active climbers.

I wouldn't say you are blowing your own trumpet.

I would however say quite a few folk are stuck in their tiers and would love to get out and the first question I would ask...Where are you travelling from to climb Raeburn's?

Then we can enjoy your day together...😉

In reply to mike123:

> as I often think , I'm clearly not " one of us " then . I'm put in mind of an old mate of mine who would have said in a very thick Geordie  accent , often hammed upm for effect : " who put you in charge like "  . To OP : glad you had a good day . Some people can still get out some can't . Some people like to post about it . Some don't . Personal choice ? 

Why can't some people get out?

No one has explained it to me...

 ianstevens 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

Because people who can’t (due to different restrictions, living in places they can’t get out from whilst complying etc) are envious. Because they can’t get out, this of course means nobody should be able to.

(to be clear here, my opinion is the opposite - if you can get out and about within the guidance, all power to you) 

In reply to ianstevens:

Sorry but are you mike123?

In reply to ianstevens:

> Because people who can’t (due to different restrictions, living in places they can’t get out from whilst complying etc) are envious. Because they can’t get out, this of course means nobody should be able to.

> (to be clear here, my opinion is the opposite - if you can get out and about within the guidance, all power to you) 

Personally.. I've always found envy to be a bad trait...

I don't have a problem with climbers obeying travel restrictions and posting.

I have a problem with climber disobeying travel restrictions and posting,logging climbs.

Sorry but I'm doing my bit,I expect others to do theirs.

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

> Sorry but are you mike123?

No . I am .

In reply to mike123:

That's a relief.....

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

> Why can't some people get out?

> No one has explained it to me...

Ok . Let’s try .

There were two very good and very keen climbers . Let’s call then Emma and Eve . Emma , despite growing up in by far the best climbing area in Britain for some unknown reason choose to live in a terrace house in a large ( somewhat smelly ) large tnorthern city and as such felt that due to various restrictions placed on the city by the ( rather bumbling and incompetent )leader of her country  that she could  no longer go outside climbing ( “out”)  . Instead she choose to hone her already considerable skills  in what the inhabitants of her city referred to as her “cellar “. (Of course she chuckled at this because where she was from the activities that took place in cellars were., how to put it , erm , somewhat different ) . 
eve however  lived in an altogether different place , despite once having lived in the very same city had now seen the light and returned to her home county . Outside her door were fields and trees and snow capped mountains as far as the eye could see and the only smelly smells were those created by the local farmer on spreading day . Eve loved where she lived as a very short drive from her home were more crags of every description than she could shake a worn out clips stick at  ( belonging of course to one of her  slightly overweight , balding but still extremely handsome occasional climbing partners .) and enough world standard Boulder problems to keep busy for , erm , hours . Eve despite the restrictions imposed by the bumbling buffoon  s could still get “ out “.

hope this helps Shaun . Have a nice day . 

 ianstevens 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

Wasn’t aimed at you personally, was a general observation.

I’m envious of people who can get out and about in Scotland, as I wish I could be. However, restrictions don’t allow me to be.

I’m sure people in tier 4 are envious of me being a) in tier 3 and b) living on the edge of the North York Moors, meaning I can walk to nice places to exercise.

People are bad at admitting this IMO, and use “are you following the restrictions” and “I don’t want to see this” as sticks to beat people in a (relatively) better situation than them. If you (again, the royal you) don’t want to see reports of people getting out because you wish you could and are sad you can’t, don’t look at the relevant bits of social media. E.g. turn off the winter forum here for a bit.

Of course, people should not be breaking the restrictions and I’m sure they are (but that’s for another thread) but it’s not up to people “stuck” in cities to be policing on every single trip report people post.

In reply to mike123:

> No . I am .

Give Jim a prod and get him to answer the question.....

In reply to mike123:

Bullshit baffles....have a good day

In reply to ianstevens:

Sorry Ian but I lost interest half way through that...

If people post on a Public Forum then they should have the balls to admit they are breaking rules/guidelines.

I'll use you're excuse next time I'm pissing in the the street....avert your eyes if you take offence.

Post edited at 10:08
 ianstevens 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

No, what you're doing is asking the 99% of people not pissing in the street if they are in fact pissing in the street, once they have shared with you that they have had a piss, because you don't have a toilet.

To use your analogy. 

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

> I'll use you're excuse next time I'm pissing in the the street....avert your eyes if you take offence.

what excuse to you normally use ?

In reply to mike123:

> what excuse to you normally use ?

It's a bit early to be drinking.....sorry touchy subject.

In reply to ianstevens:

Why would I ask someone who isn't pissing in the street..Are pissing in the street?

Doesn't make sense.

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

> That's a relief.....

 

is that what you normally say to the policeman ?

 ianstevens 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

You have actually understood my point. Why would you ask. So to put it even more simply:

What are you asking locals why they’re breaking travel restrictions when they are, in fact, staying local?
 

A: because you’re envious they can get out and you can’t, so you’re trying to show they’ve done something “wrong”

Post edited at 12:42
In reply to mike123:

🤣...I try not to get too clever with the Police.

Last time I did that,nearly got arrested

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

> That's a relief.....

Is that what you normally say to the police ?

In reply to ianstevens:

Just to make it clear...I check the profile of the person posting,if it's clear they are local I don't ask.

If however it's not clear,as in this case...can't work out if he's in Paisley??......I ask the question.

I honestly believe we should be acting collectively, I'll high five to people getting out.

I think my mtb is calling...I'll lay off the blacks this after....

Post edited at 12:58
 ianstevens 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

> I think my mtb is calling...I'll lay off the blacks this after....

As long as you stay local, or the UKC police will get you

In reply to ianstevens:

We are watching you....😉

 Michael Gordon 04 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123:

Ah well, it's all a bit academic now anyway.

 04hscott 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Jim at Craigdhu:

Jim pleased you enjoyed the tracks, the snow was a bit cruddy and crusty. Pleased you were out to enjoy the amazing views. What a way to start the new year! I trust you took all the Covid precautions you thought necessary, besides there was little chance of transmission up there. No point arguing now as we all have to stay at home and do our bit! Local or not.

In reply to 04hscott:

🤣🤣 .....no point arguing now....🤣🤣

In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Ah well, it's all a bit academic now anyway.

You took a bit of drivel from mike123 in the process...but yes you are right 

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough: sounds like you are happy about this  and feel In Some way vindicated ? How strange . 

Post edited at 20:50
 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

You might want to look at those little numbers below the posts . Some are green . some are grey.  The green ones ..... 

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123: I was preparing to write a placatory , let’s try to be big boys , post .  Changed my mind . 

Post edited at 20:53
 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Ah well, it's all a bit academic now anyway.

How so ?

Everybody is still allowed to go out and exercise .
I’m not sure climbing On the Ben would be in the spirt of Scottish rules but wether or not it’s specifically not allowed / banned I’m not sure . I’m also not sure what i d be doing  if I lived in fort bill . My gut says probably not but also if my mates / neighbours / work colleagues decided to go I would not be questioning them or judgeing  them and certainly wouldn’t be dobbing them in   .  I’d respect their decision . 
I have to say I find it vaguely distasteful that the pair of you seem to be amused by this . It’s really not nice . 

In reply to mike123:

> I was preparing to write a placatory , let’s try to be big boys , post .  Changed my mind . 

Stop taking one for Jim...I'm starting to feel sorry for you...

Local or not....

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to 04hscott:

Stand corrected . Sorry 

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:: do you have a violin ?  I quite like mornfull aly Bain dirges . If you wouldn’t mind .....

In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

Just an observation but you come across as a bit pompous and arrogant. What's it to you where someone has travelled from in order to do a winter climb? 

In reply to mike123:

> How so ?

> Everybody is still allowed to go out and exercise .

> I’m not sure climbing On the Ben would be in the spirt of Scottish rules but wether or not it’s specifically not allowed / banned I’m not sure . I’m also not sure what i d be doing  if I lived in fort bill . My gut says probably not but also if my mates / neighbours / work colleagues decided to go I would not be questioning them or judgeing  them and certainly wouldn’t be dobbing them in   .  I’d respect their decision . 

> I have to say I find it vaguely distasteful that the pair of you seem to be amused by this . It’s really not nice . 

👍...never dob a friend in....commendable and something I agree with.

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough: any news on the fiddle ? 

In reply to Wanderer100:

> Just an observation but you come across as a bit pompous and arrogant. What's it to you where someone has travelled from in order to do a winter climb? 

Really....so you are happy with climbers flouting travel restrictions?

Yes or no is sufficient..

#...I asked Jim where he had travelled from,nothing else....can't be that hard a question.

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to mike123: this is the kind of thing  I was hoping for ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUw9vinntGE&

In reply to mike123:

Haven't got a fiddle but I want that quill pen that you have...

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough: sorry you can’t have it .  it to belonged to my great uncle crispin , a mighty ox of a man  in many repects , it was often thought that the Lowry picture of a very large man in an ermine cape swiging brandy from a large earthen ware flask atop napes needle whilst howling gat the moon was based on one of his many exploits in the fells of the western lakes .

Post edited at 21:47
In reply to mike123:

Ha ha..you got me to a t.....might treat myself to a Scotch now and toast you.

Can you imagine living with me 😉

 mike123 04 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

in the spirit of being big boys We should do it . Brandy. Check . Flask . Check . Now where did I put my ermine cape .....

Post edited at 22:15
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

> Really....so you are happy with climbers flouting travel restrictions?

> Yes or no is sufficient..

> #...I asked Jim where he had travelled from,nothing else....can't be that hard a question.

I really couldn't care if a person I don't know decides to go for a climb that is located nowhere near me. Their choice, their risk. 

In reply to Wanderer100:

> I really couldn't care if a person I don't know decides to go for a climb that is located nowhere near me. Their choice, their risk. 

That's the spirit....Happy Mountain leading..👍

In reply to mike123:

> in the spirit of being big boys We should do it . Brandy. Check . Flask . Check . Now where did I put my ermine cape .....

🥃....Dalwhinnie...👍

In reply to 04hscott:

Many thanks 04hscott; I'm too old to break trail (or regulations).

I was on my limit on that first pitch so am keen to know how you graded it.

Cheers,

Jim & Eve.


Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...