Linn of Dee road in snow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rubisco 08 Dec 2022

Hi 

I'm hoping for a multi-day trip into the Cairngorms next week. With the recent spell of snow, does anyone have any insights about whether the road from Braemar to Linn of Dee is gritted or ploughed? I suspect it might not be.

Thanks!

doz 10 Dec 2022
In reply to rubisco:

You'll be fine ..plenty people live up the road...

Winter tyres always a good idea but if your car makes it to Braemar you'll get to Linn of Dee!

OwenM 10 Dec 2022
In reply to rubisco:

The snow gates are closed this morning. 

Kimberley 10 Dec 2022
In reply to OwenM:

I guess you mean the snow gates on the the A93 between Braemar and Spital of Glenshee, there are no snow gates on the Linn of Dee road

OwenM 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Kimberley:

Yes, but if you can't get to Braemar you can't get to the Linn of Dee Road.

Kimberley 10 Dec 2022
In reply to OwenM:

When the gates are closed you can get to Braemar from the east eg Ballater, Aberdeen...

Gates are open now.  https://www.snowgatecameras.co.uk/ 

In reply to rubisco:

The trickiest bit is probably the steepish section of road heading back towards Braemar from Inverey, just after the Victoria bridge. That can be difficult when snow’s been compacted by traffic.

OP rubisco 10 Dec 2022
In reply to rubisco:

Thanks for everyone's replies. I actually did mean the road between Braemar and Linn of Dee. I'm aware of the snowgates and the webcams and also the alternative route via Ballater. Getting to Braemer isn't the concern - it's the last stage to the Linn that concerns me.

OP rubisco 10 Dec 2022
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Thanks - I know that steep section and it's the bit that concerns me the most. Thanks for your advice!

In reply to rubisco:

I see on Facebook that Mar Lodge has a snowman today. 

Fiona Reid 11 Dec 2022
In reply to rubisco:

If you do head there in the next week please can you post back with an update re the road, thank you

Post edited at 06:26

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...