Krukonogi Warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Just Will 27 Mar 2018

I had both of my Krukonogi armour steel modular front points (for Petzl Lynx crampons in mono point configuration) snap on me a few days ago on a long alpine route.  Luckily it was on the first pitch and I was seconding - I dread to think what the result could have been if I had been soloing. I had used them without issue in Scotland this winter, but presumably the colder temperatures (we bivvied the night before - it was maybe between -10 and -15 Celsius so not crazy cold) made the metal more brittle. I sent pictures to Krukonogi and they replied saying 'the construction and design is very weak' for these and said they were bringing out a new version. They gave me a full refund when I said I wasn't remotely interested in a replacement. I think it is absolutely shameless that they are aware it is very weak and have still been selling them regardless - surely there is a huge risk someone might get seriously hurt or killed if they were run out or soloing when their kit failed. It makes you wonder if any of their other products are similarly sh**e and they aren't letting on. Presumably super hard metal is a pretty bad idea anyway because it makes it far more liable to break...

planetmarshall 27 Mar 2018
In reply to Just Will:

I have a pair of their picks but keep them only for dry tooling use on bolted routes or indoors. I don't believe they have any kind of strength rating, so it may be unfair to compare with products that do.

Tricadam 27 Mar 2018
In reply to Just Will:

Yikes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...