July Mont Blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ryan_ID 03 Jul 2018

Hi All,

I have been preparing for a solo ascent of Mont Blanc for a while now. I am looking at flying out to Cham on Saturday 21st July.

My plan is to head up the Aiguille Du Midi, trek across to the Cosmiques hut and stay there the night. See if I can get a bed, but if not, Bivvy below after sundown.

Next day would be heading back up to the Midi, heading down and look to head up to Tete Rousse and camp/bivvy on the glacier for the night. I'll set off early from Cosmiques to give myself time to get down and up to Tete Rousse.

Next day would be a summit push to Mont Blanc up the Gouter route and back down to Tete Rousse for the night.

The following day would be a relaxed decent and head back to Cham/Geneva.

Questions are;

- Does this sound sensible? I know it's a quick acclimatisation, but I have not had issues before.

- Is anyone about that would like some company at various points?

Cheers all

Misha 03 Jul 2018
In reply to Ryan_ID:

Everyone is different when it comes to acclimatising. For some people this may be sufficient. For me this wouldn’t be enough - I would probably have a dreadful night and then grind to a halt somewhere above the Gouter, if I even muster the motivation to go that high (it’s a bit of a slog). It takes time to get acclimatised properly - I’ve walked over the top of Mont Blanc without any problems after doing a technical route but that was after a couple of weeks out there and having been to the top of the Tacul and the Jorasses (and having bivvied at 4k on the Jorasses).

Only you know how your body will react but conventional wisdom is to do a 4k peak first before attempting Mont Blanc. It’s all about increasing your chances of success and enjoyment of the route. 

Good luck. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...