Is Kinder Downfall in?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nigel n 01 Dec 2023

Went for a walk on Axe Edge this afternoon and saw some icicles in a grough.  Also slipped on a frozen puddle or two.  I'm off to sharpen my tools!

CantClimbTom 01 Dec 2023
In reply to nigel n:

Don't forget the crampons too, if there are more puddles like that

OP nigel n 01 Dec 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

F**** me, of course yes.  Will I need the B2 or the B3 boots do you think/

George Ormerod 02 Dec 2023
In reply to nigel n:

> F**** me, of course yes.  Will I need the B2 or the B3 boots do you think/

Get on it, it’s fat. I did trainers with a pair of fruit knives in lieu of ice tools. Cutting the steps was a bit of a faff, but the spirit of Raeburn possessed me and I pushed on through. 

In reply to nigel n:

Someone call Filip Babicz

Gwinn512 02 Dec 2023

No Kinder downfall would be complete without this:

youtube.com/watch?v=zGq-3TlswZs&

Marek 02 Dec 2023
In reply to nigel n:

There's an old adage in journalism that if there's a headline with a question then the answer is almost always "No!"

The same applies here, I think.

Either it's not frozen at all, or if it was frozen then the locals will have blitzed it in the small hours of the night and there will be nothing left by the time you've asked the question.

raussmf 02 Dec 2023
In reply to nigel n:

This morning

BRILLBRUM 02 Dec 2023
In reply to nigel n:

I’m on the approach now, kitted out with B2 flipflops and a pair of DMM butter knives, it’s going to be epic! Have brought bin-lid for the descent.

PaulJepson 03 Dec 2023
In reply to nigel n:

On the walk up to Owler Tor yesterday, I noted that the stream down little moor was frozen solid (probably up to 6 inches deep of ice). I was surprised as the groundwater should be too warm to freeze like that and the river next to the road was running as normal. 

Is it just to do with the pace of the water as to what will or won't freeze? 

Brass Nipples 03 Dec 2023
In reply to nigel n:

Got my fish knives ready and going to swim up it like a Salmon

BRILLBRUM 03 Dec 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

Urgh! I think I’ve just encountered my very first ‘very non-U’ climber. 

I shall be writing to the Times, fish knives, whatever next????

Darron 03 Dec 2023
In reply to Gwinn512:

> No Kinder downfall would be complete without this:

Thank you that was a very informative documentary.

Pedro50 03 Dec 2023
In reply to Darron:

> Thank you that was a very informative documentary.

He does make some valid points.

JdotP 03 Dec 2023
In reply to nigel n:

The climbing community's obsession with wondering / hoping if Kinder downfall might be "in" is great as it ensures that the other ice climbing venues in the peak district that come into condition more readily remain the preserve of the illuminati.

But yes, Kinder downfall is in...

The peak district.

Misha 03 Dec 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Looking at the photo, I reckon it’s too white and icy for him. Not rad enough!

Darron 04 Dec 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

Perhaps the lack of emoji like has confused my post. It WAS an informative doc🙂. No criticism intended.

Pedro50 04 Dec 2023
In reply to Darron:

No I quite agree I was agreeing with Adolf, (never thought I would!)

toad 04 Dec 2023
In reply to nigel n:

serious question - Is there still significant snow on the Kinder Plateau? I'm supposed to be working up there on wednesday, but there's no point if it's still very snowy, and I dont want to drive up from nottm to turn round and drive home again. 

Ta

raussmf 04 Dec 2023
In reply to toad:

No real snow on Saturday just a bit of frost!

Iain Thow 04 Dec 2023
In reply to toad:

Pissing down at 400m nearby now, and for the last few hours. All the snow has gone at this level except where it was banked up (and even there it's sludge)

ste_d 05 Dec 2023
In reply to toad:

I'm just out for a run in the South Pennines and can still see some snow lingering on the north aspect of black hill, though not huge amounts, I'm due to do survey work on bleaklow on Thursday so be interested to know if you got out on Wednesday!

Post edited at 14:51
 tonyg9241 05 Dec 2023
In reply to Gwinn512:

That time of year lol

toad 05 Dec 2023
In reply to ste_d:

going next week, now. its probably ok, but i need to be able to see the ground!

Brass Nipples 06 Dec 2023
In reply to toad:

> serious question - Is there still significant snow on the Kinder Plateau? I'm supposed to be working up there on wednesday, but there's no point if it's still very snowy, and I dont want to drive up from nottm to turn round and drive home again. 

> Ta

Where abouts on the plateau were you working ?

Brass Nipples 06 Dec 2023
In reply to toad:

> serious question - Is there still significant snow on the Kinder Plateau? I'm supposed to be working up there on wednesday, but there's no point if it's still very snowy, and I dont want to drive up from nottm to turn round and drive home again. 

> Ta

Where abouts on the plateau were you working ?

wilkesley 07 Dec 2023
In reply to nigel n:

Did you try knocking on the door or ringing the bell

pasbury 07 Dec 2023
In reply to Gwinn512:

> No Kinder downfall would be complete without this:

that is effing brilliant😁

toad 07 Dec 2023
In reply to Brass Nipples:

I've been all over it - peat depth and habitat assessment. I've just got a corner near Crowden left to do,  but I need, dry, non foggy weather with no snow cover for one element

Brass Nipples 07 Dec 2023
In reply to toad:

> I've been all over it - peat depth and habitat assessment. I've just got a corner near Crowden left to do,  but I need, dry, non foggy weather with no snow cover for one element

Kinder and Bleaklow used to be my weekly Sunday outing after my paper round as a kid.

Doug 08 Dec 2023
In reply to toad:

reminds me of the last quadrat I recorded for a 'summer' long, UK wide project for the old Institute for Ecology. We had a site somewhere on Donside where we couldn't get access till they stopped killing grouse, unfortunately it snowed a bit just before we got there so we had to brush snow of the vegetation, I suspect we missed a few spp but as it was heather with a few mosses probably not many. Was good to get back to Banchory & celebrate the end of the field season.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...