Ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 topee 28 Dec 2022

Looking at getting to get away end of Jan, either Briançon or Rjukan. Where do think conditions will be best. Alternative suggestions welcome.

olddirtydoggy 28 Dec 2022
In reply to topee:

There's a Rjukan group on Facebook for route conditions. If current posts are anything to go by it's shaping up well. We're off to Hemsedal a month after for a change.

OP topee 28 Dec 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Thanks, Will keep an eye on it.

French Erick 28 Dec 2022
In reply to topee:

I am hearing that the autumn has been mild and wet in the southern Alps (at least in the Ubaye) and there are suggestions that the ice should come along nicely. This should work for ceillac as well as l’argentière if fully accurate.
I should be there by next week so could let you know if nobody else pipes up on here.

Some UKCers live/guide in that area.

Doug 29 Dec 2022
In reply to French Erick:

Here in the Champsaur we had a warm period, with rain up to >2000m, just before Christmas & lots of snow melted (see https://www.ledauphine.com/societe/2022/12/28/manque-de-neige-en-stations-d... ). There's an icefall close to my local XC area which was starting to form nicely but is now a waterfall. And the forecast for the next few days is for warm & wet, with 12° & rain forecast for New Year's Eve for my village which is at 1250m. 

But could, hopefully will, change by the end of January.

Webster 29 Dec 2022
In reply to topee:

There is no ice in the northern alps, somehow there does still appear to be stuff getting done further south, but i cant see how it will last given the current forecast i wouldnt be commiting any money to an alpine ice climbing holliday this year, it will take a mega freeze to turn this season around...

OP topee 30 Dec 2022

thanks French Eric. Would be good if you post a conditions report in a week to 10 days?

Enjoy.

OP topee 30 Dec 2022
In reply to Webster:thanks for the replies everyone. Suspect we will end up in Rjukan  it would prefer the Alps if conditions allow.

aln 03 Jan 2023

I have nothing to add about ice but your name sounds familiar. Did you used to post on ScottishClimbs?

OP topee 04 Jan 2023
In reply to stew:

Thanks Stew, looks like an excellent resource, hadn’t seen that one before.

French Erick 05 Jan 2023
In reply to topee:

So there’s snow still compared to most places. It freezes every night ( though not hard) but highs of up to low teens most days. I haven’t ventured out yet to check ice but it doesn’t fill me with hope so far. 
things can change but end of January being only 3 weeks away I would check Norway.

OP topee 05 Jan 2023

Thanks French Erik. Will making decision today but safest bet looks like Norway. Have a good winter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...