Grivel New Matic failure

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

So my Grivel G12 New-Matic's plastic toe bail/strap has completely failed after only a handful of uses: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iUNScddcMXNG1Ygr9

I think it should be an easy fix to rivet a new retainer on but Grivel will not supply one, insisting I should pay 50 plus postage to italy to repair it. If I'm going to pay upwards of 70bucks I'd rather get something else that will last.

Has anyone on here had any luck fashioning an alternative? ... I'm thinking just drill holes for a wire bail or use dyneema through the retainer lugs...

lanky 13 Jan 2023
In reply to Mark MacPherson:

Have you contacted mountain boot company? They sorted my G14s for free.

Dave Cundy 13 Jan 2023

If you repair it successfully, will you still have confidence in the remaining part of the bail?   I wouldn't.  I think I'd take it straight back to the shop where i bought it and ask for a replacement.  This pair is clearly either 'not fit for purpose' and 'not of merchantable quality'.  I think any reputable retailer can see that.

If the retailer plays hardball, buy a new pair somewhere else (for this season) and then threaten to open a case against them at moneyclaimonline.  It's not worth them defending, so they ought to see sense at that point.

Run_Ross_Run 13 Jan 2023

Did the same on my Monta Rosa's a few years back after just a few uses. Took them back to cotswold for a refund. 

In reply to Dave Cundy:

Dave, I’d have enough confidence to use them for easy grades and switch to the G14’s for anything else.

I bought them from the big Tiso in Glasgow a short while before lockdown but unfortunately have no record of the purchase (in shop and no longer have the receipt) so that leaves me out of luck on the return front.

I’m happy to repair but if anyone has pointers from previous experience it would be useful.

TobyA 13 Jan 2023
In reply to lanky:

Yep, are mountain boot not still the distributors in the UK? 

I had the first gen of new matics and they broke (various others had the same failure). I had bought mine in Chamonix so emailed Mountain Boot Company to ask if I could pay them to fix them and they said basically, don't be silly send them in and we'll replace with the newer design front basket. They didn't even want payment for posting them back to me. 

But having said that, this has to be over 15 years ago though.

If it's genuinely a handful of uses, it's a warranty issue and they should be giving you the piece for free. 

In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

I'm not sure how I would go about showing evidence of that - other than pointing out the points are hardly worn. It's extremely frustrating but if I could get a functional repair I'd be happy with just being able to use them.

In reply to lanky:

I contacted The Mountain Boot Company this morning. They were not sure they could source the parts so am awaiting a call back.

In reply to TobyA:

I also bought a pair of G12s in Cham, very cheap back in 98!

One of my plastic toe baskets broke, I just ran 4mm cord through the hole, knotted it, wrapped in duct tape. It served me well for a few years after, tension is held between posts on front of boot and heel lever, never concerned me safety wise.

Having now experienced 4 dealings with Mountain Boot Co, in more recent times, would be surprised if they don't come through with a suitable alternative.

Stuart 

wercat 13 Jan 2023

I have not repaired a pair of these but I have replaced neoprene strap and ring front attachments on crampons fitting my own rivets for the ring and strap attachments,  These work in a similar way to the G12 Newmatic in that the strap comes forward and passes back through the central (ring) part of what fits over the front of the boot.  Good enough for soloing grade III ice pitches anyway without problems.

I'm sure I would do something similar if mine failed but with little used crampons you should get it fixed replaced free unless they are very old.

Post edited at 16:59
 Graeme Hammond 13 Jan 2023

> I bought them from the big Tiso in Glasgow a short while before lockdown but unfortunately have no record of the purchase (in shop and no longer have the receipt) so that leaves me out of luck on the return front.

Do you have a bank statement. At the company I work for we can then cross reference with purchases that day if required and is good enough for most manufacturers for proof of purchase.

nufkin 14 Jan 2023
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

>  good enough for most manufacturers for proof of purchase.

In my experience the manufacturers don't care about proof of purchase - it's more for the specific shop to demonstrate that they were the point of purchase, and thus liable for dealing with their customer's issues

>  I bought them from the big Tiso in Glasgow a short while before lockdown

Which, however, might put you (the OP) in a less favourable position, as that puts things past the time (six months from purchase, I think) where the onus shifts from the seller having to demonstrate that something isn't faulty to the buyer demonstrating that it is.
Hopefully, though, that would all be academic with a shop worth its salt and with sympathetic staff

So to conclude to this post. For want of a cheap plastic replacement part, I’ve had to fashion my own repair.

Grivel will not sell the part so either I send the crampon to them in Italy for repair (70bucks) or claim the warranty from the vendor (somehow, with no receipt) and there’s been no response at all from the Mountain Boot Company – apparently the UK distributor. I've not got the will to grovel further to Grivel so have had to develop a more robust solution:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Aaud8vvJEYEaiLyA6

Dyneema through the old restrainer lugs doesn’t seem like it will hold up well to abrasion.

So the toe bail hole locations have been copied from my G14’s [4.5mm hole, 3mm bit to oval] and the same toe restraint from my G14’s is used.

I’ll try them out like this and then probably chop off the lugs to match the G14’s

Then I’ll do the other crampon too.

Obviously I wouldn’t recommend these plastic toe restraints on Grivel crampons. Or their customer service.

Mine failed while walking – never mind the PITA repair - others might be unlucky enough to lose a crampon while leading.

ExiledScot 21 Jan 2023

I'd ask on their facebook page, add in your photo, they might just suddenly improve their customer service. You can tell looking at any pair of crampons how little use they've had. 

As an aside, is the fit right for your boots? If the front strap /bar etc of crampons is too much towards the middle of the toe, then they get much more of pounding than if they were just a little to either side. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...