Great End, anyone been up there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ardo 17 Feb 2018

Thinking of heading there tomorrow, after reviewing MWIS of course, though wondered if there's any feet on the ground info.

OP Ardo 17 Feb 2018
In reply to Ross McGibbon:

I have no idea whether you're trying to be helpful or taking the piss.

I'm trying to be a better person, so I'll assume the former.

Ross McGibbon 17 Feb 2018
In reply to Ardo:

I am trying to be helpful by pointing you to all the information people have offered up and helping to prevent the plethora of confusing cross-posts we used to have.

If you think that pointing you to sources that have Great End info on is taking the piss, then please keep on trying to be a better person.

Post edited at 21:33
OP Ardo 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Ross McGibbon:

Having already checked both of those sources and there being no info, I was hoping that a location specific post might elicit some info, but no luck.

As your post just contained links to places I'd already looked with no additional comment, it appeared quite curt, ergo dismissive. It can be very hard to understand someone's posting intention when nothing is explicitly said, which is why I replied to that effect. I will continue in my endeavour to be a better person.

Post edited at 06:43
 John Kelly 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Ardo:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/lake-district-winter-conditions

Not 'feet on the ground' so please hold on to that 'better person' stuff

Mike Conlon 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Ardo:

For what it is worth now, we went there on Thursday with an open mind. We approached Central but there was some avalanche debris at the bottom and it was very sugary beneath a thin crust. We took a line further to the right (NW aspect ?) and enjoyed good conditions. We looked into the top of Central and it was very steep and corniced. It seems like someone took a tumble there on Friday, trust he is ok.

ERB 18 Feb 2018
In reply to Mike Conlon:

Went up there today did window gully upper ice fall and central gully LH a lot of soft snow and hollow ice about and thawing in the rain as we left. Some large cornices at the top of Custs , Central Rh and SE Gully, we didn’t use Custs as a descent route today.

Post edited at 20:56
OP Ardo 19 Feb 2018
In reply to ERB:

Headed to St Sunday to have a look at Pinnacle Ridge and bag the summit. Couldn't find PR in the clag, summited and went through three different descent plans.

Sounds similar conditions to your experience of GE, though could be good if there's another freeze coming.

ERB 19 Feb 2018
In reply to Ardo:

If the thaw hasn’t spoiled Window Gully lower ice fall it would be well worth a visit when it does re-freeze it was looking fat on Sunday.

wercat 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Ardo:

I put some comments in the V Corner thread about Great End yesterday.   My comments about Window gully were made after descending a bit from the top to overlook the finish, (normal and lower icefall) which did not look good - a lot of poor ice round generally and the normal finish was just rock and vegetation below the exit snow

ERB 24 Feb 2018
In reply to wercat:

Have a look on Facebook,  Great End posts on there from today from prolific poster who used to do the same on here.

wercat 25 Feb 2018
In reply to ERB:

Has it improved with the temperature drop?  Not being lazy but I'm a dinosaur who doesn't have Facebook

quirky 25 Feb 2018
In reply to wercat:

The neve is bomber, left hand central is complete but thin. Window gully is ok but upper icefall is not complete. All turf on routes is frozen but no need to use the turf. 

wercat 25 Feb 2018
In reply to quirky:

Thanks, might have a look in the week - Still enjoyed my exploratory escape from the gully over unfamiliar ground last week though and an excellent day on Helvellyn yesterday - if Nethermost is in the same condition it would be good

quirky 25 Feb 2018
In reply to wercat:

We did similar  yesterday on window gully... Was a que at the final pitch so we climbed through the window and went on a little adventure. 

Post edited at 11:01
 wercat 25 Feb 2018
In reply to quirky:

yes, the window exit, it's a useful thing to remember - in the event of the upper route not being what was hoped for.  I discovered it a few years back in a rope of 3 where one of us was a beginner who had simply become too knackered with all of the unfamiliar kind of effort so we decided to curtail the day rather than press on regardless.

Post edited at 11:06
 ERB 25 Feb 2018
In reply to wercat:

c

Climbed Window Gully lower ice fall bomber neve ice was a bit brittle dinner plating on first placements front points a bit unreliable  but a cracking route. The snow pack was really stable with cornices firm brilliant day to be out on the fells.

stratandrew 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Ardo:

I solo'd central gully right hand on Saturday 24th in under 30 minutes with two axes. One tricky step which will more likely than not have formed some better ice by now. The Neve is super bomber. The Cornice not worth mentioning and frozen like concrete. I dropped by down and walked up Custs - again, bomber Neve all the way, no issues with the exit.

wercat 27 Feb 2018
In reply to ERB:

yes, was there yesterday, brilliant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...