Fiacaill ridge east side

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alan.rodger 26 Jan 2018

Does anyone know the name of the chunky east facing buttress before you reach Fiacaill ridge buttress proper ? Have climbs been recorded on it ?

Andy Nisbet 26 Jan 2018
In reply to alan.rodger:

Folk have climbed there for many years, especially instructors. But the routes haven't been written up. Although I think there's one on UKC, but it had been done before. The rightmost ridge is a good scramble and Grade II in winter. Both good as a precursor to Fiacaill Ridge.

Iain Thow 27 Jan 2018
In reply to alan.rodger:

It's in Highland Scrambles South and on UKC as the Twin Ribs start to Fiacaill Ridge. Grade 2 up the grooves direct, with loads of choice of route. As Andy says, it's good, and not all that much harder than the more direct versions of Fiacaill Ridge.

DaveHK 27 Jan 2018
In reply to alan.rodger:

Did you ask me this at the bottom of the corrie yesterday?

OP alan.rodger 27 Jan 2018
In reply to DaveHK:was that as we were resting having T at the rescue box ?

DaveHK 27 Jan 2018
 DaveHK 27 Jan 2018
In reply to alan.rodger:

Yes, I was chatting to two guys from Edinburgh. Either you or your partner arrived and asked.

morsg 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

On Friday Alan and I climbed the Twin Ribs first and then we found another, larger buttress 60 m further south, just before the start of the steeper part of Fiacaill Ridge.

There we climbed a prominent 25m gully on its right flank, broad at first and then narrowing and steepening to maybe 70 degrees, and finishing on the top of the buttress and the path up Fiacaill Ridge. A nice, maybe grade III climb to access the Fiacaill Ridge.

OP alan.rodger 27 Jan 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Yes that's the one - prominent and chunky with deep parallel grooves. We did the Twin Rib route then moved down from the col to do a steep gully on the right flank of the buttress.

Iain Thow 27 Jan 2018
In reply to morsg:

Sounds fun. Will have to go and have a look sometime.

Andy Nisbet 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

I didn't mean the Twin Ribs. I meant the right edge of Fiacaill Buttress. I called it Fiacaill Rib. It will be in the new SMC app for the Northern Corries (winter). Twin Ribs is in too.

Iain Thow 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

What's it like in summer?

morsg 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Here are some pictures of the gully we climbed and the buttress it is part of.  We would like to put it into UKC.  Do you have a name for it?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ja2vsatjaza0quc/AAAvatwnjpZkmoi6XNrbCcwxa?dl=0

Post edited at 15:51
 Andy Nisbet 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Iain Thow:

> What's it like in summer?

I haven't done it in summer. But I met a couple who had done it several times and thought it was Twin Ribs. In fact I arranged to meet them at Twin Ribs base for a photographic trip. They went there and I went to the real Twin Ribs. So we never met. But they did it that day anyway. It's fairly vegetated but you might be able to take a cleaner line in summer.

Andy Nisbet 27 Jan 2018
In reply to morsg:

I can't tell from your pictures where it is. Is it on a completely separate buttress on the top before Fiacaill Ridge? If you send me your e-mail address, then I'll send you a picture of the buttress. But no, it doesn't have a name. Folk generally don't record winter routes of 25m, unless I misunderstand.

Iain Thow 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Cheers Andy, will go and have a look once the white stuff has gone.

morsg 27 Jan 2018
In reply to Andy Nisbet:

The climb is on the buttress just before the 5-10m descent to the col before the steep part of the ridge starts.  That buttress is more prominent from the floor of Coire an t'Snechda than the one Twin Ribs is on. My photo 4604 shows the buttress and Fiacaill Ridge in the background.

Only a routelet then? It felt about the same length as Twin Ribs.

I can be contacted though UKC or on hgfahrrad@talktalk.net.  Thanks for your help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...