European Ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petre 27 Dec 2019

Hi guys

Anyone know if there is any ice around in Europe at the moment? 

Many thanks in anticipation 

Petre 

JohnBson 27 Dec 2019
In reply to petre:

Couple of glaciers, frosty mornings, the further East and North you travel the more ice there will be. 

TheGeneralist 29 Dec 2019
In reply to petre:

Been skiing in Stubaital Last few days. Only got cold recently. Ice falls along the valley very thin

No idea if stubai is s recognised venue or not. If it is then it needs a few more days/weeks to come in.

HTH

PS. you'll get more response if you're a bit more specific about your destination. Your original post looks very lazy. If you're open to any suggestions then say so.  Asking about European ice is way too vague.

Cheers

LakesWinter 29 Dec 2019
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Have you got any pics? I've got a day out in stubaital just after new year and i'm wondering whether to ski or do an easy ice route?

Any help gratefully received thanks!

Post edited at 20:58
 LakesWinter 29 Dec 2019

By the way there's some stubai ice routes described here

https://www.stubai.at/en/activities/winter-activ/ice-climbing/

cragtyke 30 Dec 2019
In reply to petre:

The Eispark Osttirol is now open for the season and has a webcam to show the conditions, doesn't look fully formed yet though.

TheGeneralist 30 Dec 2019
In reply to LakesWinter:

Alas not. Been sooooo cold these last two days that I've not got the camera out. TBH,there was a marked difference in ice quality even from yesterday to today.  But still nothing that looked remotely climbable.

Skiing was excellent, still some freshish tracks to be had in some areas. Lovely.

Good luck

LakesWinter 30 Dec 2019

Thanks for the updates, enjoy the rest of your trip

beardy mike 31 Dec 2019
In reply to petre:

Went past Colfosco yesterday in the Dolomites and most of the falls there seem reasonably well formed, although this was from the distance. There have certainly be reports of routes being in good condition higher up. We saw at least one group on the falls below Torre Exner. The Serrai di Sottoguda has not yet formed - although the central Catedrale area is on the way - I didn’t get a good look at it but I think Cascata Attraversare is more or less there. And I am almost certain that the falls near Fedaia Dam will be there, although at the moment I haven’t been to check. And if anyone is looking to come to the area to climb, let me know - our accommodation is full until March more or less, but I have many contacts who may be able to help you with dates.

Post edited at 08:00
 LakesWinter 08 Jan 2020
In reply to petre:

Armentarola was in good fat nick on Monday. 

Toerag 09 Jan 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

People on it today:-

https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/eispark-osttirol/

Definitely not as much as as the same time last year though.

cragtyke 09 Jan 2020
In reply to Toerag:

Agreed, heading to Pitztal in a couple of weeks and waiting for the alpine-adventure.at news posts to be updated.

beardy mike 09 Jan 2020
In reply to petre:

The serrai is slowly getting there and I've seen streaks higher up - will be getting the tools out soon to go. Been seeing lots of higher altitude mixed and cascade fests going on...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...