beinn udlaidh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pipmccarthy 07 Dec 2022

does anyone know if beinn udlaidh is in condition or likely to be in condition by the middle of next week please.

In reply to pipmccarthy:

Brilliant, you made me laugh!

TechnoJim 07 Dec 2022
In reply to pipmccarthy:

I think it needs a good few days of hard (sea-level) freeze. It's looking like a really promising spell this month for setting up winter conditions though.

I've managed to book my only week of work between now and March for next week, so that'll probably be the extent of winter :/

Post edited at 19:23
 Exile 07 Dec 2022
In reply to pipmccarthy:

A week of present temps and it would be worth a look. 

Duncan Beard 07 Dec 2022
In reply to pipmccarthy:

mountain-forecast.com have a forecast for Beinn Chuirn summit, similar alt, just to the south.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Beinn-Chuirn/forecasts/880

Temperatures expected to be -4 to -5 all day consistently for at least a week.

I don't know how long it takes for the Udlaidh falls to freeze up but the sustained low temp sounds promising.

Webster 07 Dec 2022
In reply to pipmccarthy:

given the current forecast i would be amazed if something WASN'T in condition by the middle of next week!

In reply to pipmccarthy:

Something to consider, with these cold temps and no snow lying, springs most likely freeze at source.

I have found the best condition are after snow has been lying, then the prolonged freezing temperatures. Springs underneath snow remains flowing, snow melt adds to ice formation.

​​​​​​It wouldn't be on my radar to visit, just saying....

​​​​​​Stuart 

​​

TobyA 08 Dec 2022
In reply to Stuart the postie:

> Something to consider, with these cold temps and no snow lying, springs most likely freeze at source.

I've little experience of Udlaidh (it was wonderful when I went there) but I've seen exactly this elsewhere - often the best ice comes from seeps rather than actual flowing streams/waterfalls as to much velocity makes it hard to freeze, whilst seeping water freezes more readily. But no snow and cold temperatures and it can freeze at source and not really have time to seep down the rock before freezing.

If it stays cold, I guess actual streams/waterfalls might be worth a look first. Now, down here in Derbyshire, can anyone think of an actual waterfall that has a reasonable flow rate, perhaps fed by a small river above that is unlikely to freeze before the fall...?   youtube.com/watch?v=zGq-3TlswZs& 

morpcat 08 Dec 2022
In reply to pipmccarthy:

Possibly. Temps certainly low enough for long enough if the forecast for the next 7 days pans out. Question will be if there's been enough precip to feed the springs, and if they'll freeze up the right way given the overall lack of snow. I'd venture they are more likely to just freeze at source and not continue to seep, as they don't have the insulating effect of the snow.

-7 on my thermometer today, a good way to the south and by the sea. Ground frozen solid for a couple of days.

Post edited at 22:12
 Mike-W-99 09 Dec 2022
In reply to pipmccarthy:

Might be of use. Eas Anie was clearly visible from the a82 this afternoon. Whether it’s actually climbable is another matter of course.

Beinn Dorain and that side of Beinn Dothaidh were both black. Other bridge of orchy hills whiter.

Post edited at 15:55
 Webster 09 Dec 2022
In reply to pipmccarthy:

somebody just shared photos on facebook from (presumably) today. it looked very dry still, but they suggested sunshine gully could be climbeable soon...

given the dry year and the prolonged cold spell i would be checking out the various waterfalls in the area towards the end of next week, even the relatively low lying ones. as others have said, the seepage lines may be too dry. 

Webster 09 Dec 2022
In reply to pipmccarthy:

if eas anie is looking like it is forming then this will definitely be worth checking out very soon

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/creag_coire_an_dothaidh-622/highwa...

and give it another week and this might be worth checking out!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/drover_falls-25059/[climb(475407,

OP pipmccarthy 10 Dec 2022
In reply to pipmccarthy:

Thanks for feedback. Useful.

LakesWinter 12 Dec 2022
In reply to duncan b:

Well, 2 routes are maybe in, that's not the same as the crag being in generally good condition.

duncan b 12 Dec 2022
In reply to LakesWinter:

> Well, 2 routes are maybe in, that's not the same as the crag being in generally good condition.

Sure, but I didn't say it was in 'good' condition. Nor did the OP specify 'good' when enquiring about conditions last week. 

Jack Frost 12 Dec 2022
 JLS 12 Dec 2022
In reply to Jack Frost:

Look great! If you like your drytooling.

morpcat 13 Dec 2022
In reply to duncan b:

Please can you share the relevant text rather than linking to a non-public page and assuming people have access.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...