NEWS: New National Park for Ireland

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKC/UKH News 22 Apr 2024

The Irish Government today announced the creation of a new National Park, the country's eighth. Located on the Dingle Peninsula, Páírc Náisiúnta na Mara, Ciarraí includes the rugged Conor Pass, the unique island of Sceilg Mhichíl, and Mount Brandon, one of the most spectacular of Ireland's 3000-foot mountains.

Read more

In reply to UKC/UKH News:

I am incredibly excited for this development as a local(ish) walker, climber & all round mountain fan. While we have some reason to doubt the government's wildlife strategy I think this is an amazing step forward to starting to get serious about protecting our incredibly valuable uplands & marine life. One of the large benefits being that the obvious desire the state will have to make it contiguous will likely convince landowners to sell the uplands on an ongoing basis.

Regarding the lack of faith in rewilding efforts, I think that criticism is well grounded & reasonable. However, I firmly believe that the National Parks & Wildlife Service is on the rebound and with a stronger legal framework coming down the pipeline things can only get better.

Tom Valentine 26 Apr 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Anything that makes Ireland's mountains more user friendly than they are at the moment is to be welcomed.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...