Humans, History and the Hill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH Articles 02 Jun 2011
The grimmest of the border fortresses, Hermitage Castle below Cauldcleuch Head, Liddesdale, 3 kbAward-winning outdoor writer and photographer Ronald Turnball explores man's impact on the hills and the echoes of the past we see when out walking. Ranging over the UK, he discusses Bronze Age clearance, hill forts, settlements, transhumance and shielings, hillfarming and lazybeds, the clearances, mining, forestry, hydroelectricity and windfarms.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=3216
 KeithAlexander 02 Jun 2011
Where is that in the top picture? Ben Venue?
 fhuaran 03 Jun 2011
In reply to UKH Articles: Nicely written article - very informative, though I think the author got confused about whether they were offering objective history or subjective opinion towards the end. Not saying I disagree, mind you, but there's no universal quantitative measure of beauty/lack of!
 Sarah Stirling 03 Jun 2011
In reply to KeithAlexander: More or less. It's a bit east of Ben Venue, looking south from near the head of Loch Achray.
 Sharp 03 Jun 2011
In reply to UKH Articles:
> "Loch Lomond and Loch Ness, only a few metres above the sea, were both spared. Almost every other Scottish loch is now a reservoir"

There's a lot of lochs in scotland, I'd have thought more than a few aren't reservoirs. And surely not in the way that the article implies with "vast concrete dams" and "rubble edged reservoirs".
Yes, you'd think that – until you actually start looking at them (on the map or from the mountaintop). Loch Maree is another unmolested one – indeed, claims to be the only full sized loch with neither hydroelectricity damming nor forestry plantations. "Almost every other" means getting on for 50%, and if we're only counting largeish lochs (ie not Loch Avon downwards) I'll stand by that estimate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...