NEWS: Caledonian Pinewood Restored in Alladale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKH News 10 Nov 2023

A fragement of rare Caledonian pinewood has been returned from 'declining' to 'favourable' condition, following work to plant roughly one million new trees and protect the site from deer. But with nearly one quarter of Scotland's remaining native pinewoods considered to be critically threatened, the need to restore woodland across the Highlands is pressing.

Read more

J72 10 Nov 2023
In reply to UKH News:

Enjoyed reading this Dan, thanks - always good to hear some good news about ‘rewilding’ success! 

Mal Grey 10 Nov 2023
In reply to UKH News:

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I recently traversed some of the fenced in bit of the Affric forest, and completely sympathise with the effort required to get through heather and bilberry (and bog) compared with many woodland areas where deer do graze. Very reminiscent of being off path in Scandinavia. Its hard work, but satisfying to experience.

In reply to Mal Grey:

Wonderful. There is something so special about Scotland's Caledonian pine woods - I always feel a sense of peace descending upon me as I walk into them.

And I love to see young pines re-inhabiting a glen, and spilling out onto the hillsides above. Recently walked from the Lairig Ghru to Glen Derry - the contrast between the stark and bare upper reaches of Glen Dee and wooded Gleann Laorig Bheag, where young pines and willows are recolonising the head of the glen, was most striking - felt as though I was descending into paradise.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...