Climbing after the snip.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Jimmysmith1577 19 Apr 2024

What's people's experience for climbing after a vasectomy. 

Docs recommend 4 weeks. Just wondered what others experienced 

Lankyman 19 Apr 2024
In reply to Jimmysmith1577:

Might be wise to avoid this route?

One Arm Vasectomy Blues (VS 4c)

Schmiken 19 Apr 2024

It depends on you personally. I sat on the sofa with tight pants and a bag of frozen peas for two days and then was pretty much good to go (cycling/climbing/running etc). I'd probably avoid any moves where your feet are a decent distance away from each other though....

I'd advise some supportive underwear for optimum comfort - I used UnderArmour ones and even then I got the odd twinge for a week or two afterwards.

Michael Hood 19 Apr 2024

Take daily photos in case you get any colourful bruising because you could then make a fascinating time-lapse sequence 😁

Dave Garnett 19 Apr 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

> Take daily photos in case you get any colourful bruising because you could then make a fascinating time-lapse sequence 😁

Which you could send to selected Conservative MPs.

Martin Bennett 19 Apr 2024

Three weeks they told me, but it was a brilliant forecast for the next weekend so I only gave it three days. Went to Wales and had an easy first day then Sunday at Tremadoc thought "I've never done Barbarian" so had a go. Didn't bother fiddling the little nut on the lip of the overhang so when I fell off I went far enough to have time to worry about my privates, the more so since my partner was 3 stone lighter than me and I met him coming up!

I need not have worried however for I felt nothing in my nether regions, went back up and cracked it (the route, you understand!) next time. For information this was in 1986. 

65 19 Apr 2024
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> I felt nothing in my nether regions, 

One hopes this was not permanent.

wilkie14c 19 Apr 2024
In reply to Schmiken:

> a bag of frozen peas for two days 

My anaesthetic wore off the same day but everyone is different I guess

Tight britches, good conditions  and an only fans for ball pics I'll take from that. 

PaulJepson 19 Apr 2024

Rubberneck (HVS 5a) is a really good climb and I'd highly recommend it.

JamButty 19 Apr 2024

I made the mistake 7 days after the op, of driving a Landrover all day with a heavy clutch.

It put me back 2 weeks!!

Schmiken 19 Apr 2024
In reply to wilkie14c:

Anaesthetic wore off the same day, I just took some advice from a friend and used cold to ensure there was no swelling/bruising. It certainly worked!

Cake 20 Apr 2024

I don't remember how long it took, but I remember thinking I didn't want to jump off boulder problems for a while.

David Alcock 22 Apr 2024

Hard to say - people's experiences are so varied following the snip. Personally I had no trouble. We walked straight to a pub at the top of a steep hill, then a long walk to buy shopping, then - ahem - took them for a "test drive." All within three hours of the op. Apart from the stitches falling out (I don't know why they bother - the flesh-sizzling zapper thing had done its job) I had no problems bar a sensation of 'fullness' for a couple of weeks. Apparently it takes a little while for the tadpoles to learn to eat each other more efficiently. In summary it was pleasant afternoon. (And they were obliging when I asked for extra pillows so I could watch.)

BUT, I know some people who swelled up like a pair of grapefruits.

Basically, your body will tell you. Have fun! 

PaulJepson 22 Apr 2024
In reply to David Alcock:

I'm very much enjoying your surname in the context of this thread.

David Alcock 22 Apr 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

Didn't see that one coming. 

Michael Hood 22 Apr 2024
In reply to David Alcock:

(And they were obliging when I asked for extra pillows so I could watch.)

Rather a surreal experience isn't it? 😁✂️

sandrow 22 Apr 2024

I wouldn't fancy a lead fall into a harness for a few weeks... Think I demurred from leading for a month afterwards (1988).

I did some multi-pitch on Gimmer 5 weeks after a keyhole gall bladder removal. I almost punched my partner after his 5th lead fall...

Andypeak 22 Apr 2024

After 12 days I was back to being fully active. It's worth bearing in mind that the modern method is far less intrusive than the older method. It's just a tiny puncture of no more than 3mm and no stitches are needed. 

Well. 5 days post-op. 

It's a sore old sack. 

Albert Tatlock 24 Apr 2024

I had the old skool snip, ended up with a pair of space hoopers that burst out of the NHS nylon sack they normally put oranges in at Asda.

You will know when the time is right , I left it a good 6 weeks. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...