Getting good quality prints made from JPEGs

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 abcdefg 17 Apr 2024

I have some good quality 6000x4000 pixel JPEGs which were supplied to me by a professional photographer. Where is a good place to have studio quality prints made from these JPEGs? And what physical size of print is possible from such images?

Thanks.

Jesse Nagel 17 Apr 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

I can't recommend any printing studios as I'm not from the UK.

But regarding printing size, you have a 24 megapixel image. This is large enough to print to pretty much any size, taking into account that you will stand further away from a bigger print. For a really sharp print 300 DPI is a common standard. Which would be at approx. 50x30cm.

My camera takes pictures at the same 24 megapixel resolution, and I have prints ranging from postcard size to 50x70cm and all of them look great so I would be guided by how large would look nice on your wall instead of resolution.

Post edited at 15:29
 Luke Brisco 17 Apr 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

I've used Snapfish for a few prints and seems decent enough print quality and pretty cheap too. I've heard good things about Simlab, Whitewall, and Loxley if you're wanting higher quality but I've not tried them myself.

Post edited at 16:56
 Myfyr Tomos 17 Apr 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

Give this company a shout. I've found them to be very good. https://www.thepixelprinter.com/

And he didn't give you the RAW? Bloody professional photographers... 😂

Post edited at 17:20
 mrphilipoldham 17 Apr 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

DS Colour Labs. 

OP abcdefg 17 Apr 2024
In reply to thread:

Thanks for the comments so far.

In view of Jesse Nagel's helpful comment, I am now thinking of prints of size about 20x30cm or so.

The images are head-and-shoulder images of a very dear friend, and my final intention is to end up with high-quality, properly masked and framed portraits, which will look good on  peoples' walls.

I have now looked online at some of the print companies, and I am further confused. For example, what sort of paper would normally be used for this purpose? Matt? Gloss? I see references to 'giclee' and 'c-type' paper - but I have no idea what those actually are, or what would be best.

I appreciate that I might have to spend a bit of money iterating to a good final result, but any further advice from anybody who has done the same thing would be welcome.

Thanks again.

Robert Durran 17 Apr 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

I have been entirely satisfied with the quality and service from these people: https://picturegalleryuk.com/

Though it seems now that you have you van only get framed prints (what I have done) and I'm not sure that used to be the case.

jethro kiernan 18 Apr 2024
In reply to abcdefg:
I’ve used the company below for some large panoramic printing before I changed my printer, I was happy with their prints and delivery.

the Baryta paper is great with the right subject.

https://www.whitewall.com/uk/photo-prints/baryta-bw

Bellie 18 Apr 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

My preference for wall prints to be framed is a low sheen pearl finish paper.  But thats just me. Ignore the references to Giclee or c-type paper as the actual paper type will be dependant on what company/process is being used to print your image. More likely a Giclee print from a digital image, but not always. Digital c-type printing is available.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...