New tyres

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Philip 16 Apr 2024

The tyres that came on my xcaliber 9 are nearly worn, I've been adapting the bike (2020 COVID bike shortage purchase) for the riding I like doing. The tyres are the only thing left. I don't know where to start with picking some new ones. It's now halfway between an XC and gravel bike.

50% back roads, 40% easier trails, 10% blue trails. So looking for a bit less resistance on long rides but enough grip for the occasional proper off-road.

LastBoyScout 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Philip:

I've got Continental Cross King as fast-rolling but grippy on trails. You might prefer Race Kings for your split, or even the Traffic, if you can get them:

https://conti-tyres.co.uk/mtb

OP Philip 16 Apr 2024
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks. What's the difference between something like that and the Terra Speed they make for gravel? There's quite a difference in the weight - does that equate with durability.

magma 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Philip:

marathon greenguard has decent tread and low rolling resistance..

LastBoyScout 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Philip:

It'll be the size and width of the tyres - Terra Speed are for 650b/700c and ~40mm wide, the others will be 26"-29" and ~half as wide again, depending on model.

Terra Speed (probably) won't fit your mountain bike rims.

ChrisJD 16 Apr 2024
In reply to Philip:

Also have a look at the well proven Vittoria Barzo/Mezcal XC front/rear combo

I used these on my hardtail when I was in achilles rehab.

That said, I'm back on big Conti tyres on hardtail and FS bikes, so I'm also a fan of the newer conti tyres, but not used the Cross King.

On my X, I run Hutchinson Tundra 45/40mm; they've been awesome on all types of MTB trails.

So you could look at the 50mm variant, but may be a touch skinny.

Post edited at 17:48

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...