New garmin - FR955 vs Epix 2

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Philip 09 Apr 2024

I was looking at the FR955 as a replacement for my FR645 - I want the better battery life, some more activity profiles, wrist based HR for swimming, workouts for more activities,  and the better training plans.

I've seen it for £333, but then just found the Epic 2 for £375.

Any negatives about the Epic 2 - or FR 955.

inboard 09 Apr 2024
In reply to Philip:

Where have you seen Epix for £375?

OP Philip 09 Apr 2024
In reply to inboard:

H Samuels have had it at that for a while but it goes in and out of stock.

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/garmin-epix-gen-2-black-silicone-strap-smartwatch...

Post edited at 14:13
 George Ormerod 09 Apr 2024
In reply to Philip:

I've got a FR 955, it's excellent, but if you can get a Epix 2 for that price it's a better spec (Amoled screen, more rugged construction), I would buy that one.  Also if you have smaller wrist and can't get away with the Arnie in Predator look, then FR 955 is lighter and lower profile.

OP Philip 09 Apr 2024
In reply to George Ormerod:

Ah! another mixed review :-D 

I am torn. The FR955 offers everything I want extra to my FR645, the chunky appearance of the Epix put me off. But it is a higher spec for about the same money. I couldn't find anything on the garmin spec comparison that would make me prefer it though.

Update - looks like the Epix has gone out of stock again, so that will probably make up my mind.

George Ormerod 09 Apr 2024
In reply to Philip:

Another advantage of the FR 955 is that it's lighter and more compact, which makes for a more reliable optical heart rate measurement as it doesn't move around too much on your wrist.

DC Rainmaker is your man for detailed reviews.

OP Philip 09 Apr 2024
In reply to George Ormerod:

Thanks. I think it's already bigger than my FR645, so probably will go with the FR955.

LastBoyScout 09 Apr 2024
In reply to Philip:

I have an Epix 2 Sapphire and have been very pleased with it so far.

Worth noting that the Amoled screen on the Epix (or FR965) is power-hungry. If battery life is really a concern for you, then consider the Fenix 7 (of FR955) instead - lower resolution display, but much longer battery life. Otherwise, much the same watch in both cases.

Good reviews/comparisons on DCRainmaker:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/06/the-complete-list-of-all-epix-fenix-pro...
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/01/garmin-epix-vs-fenix-7-detailed-compari...

Post edited at 23:39
In reply to Philip:

I've got the 955 and 965. 965 is a much nicer screen and battery life for my use has never been an issue. I wear it constantly,  for walks, long golf days (the shot distance feature is great) and recharge time v.quick.

955 is nice - my wife uses this now - but the amoled on the 965 is lovely. 

abcdef 10 Apr 2024
In reply to Philip:

Got the Epix 2 Sapphire and it is pretty light, given that version has titanium rather than steel around the glass.

If you are looking at the E2 for 375 it will likely be the non-sapphire version so heavier and without storage so no music and not the toughest glass. Maybe not important, but I wouldn't want to not have these features.

Only downside is the battery life as needs charged every 5 days or so with my settings/use. Next upgrade I will get the E2 Pro in large size - the weight isn't a concern and the battery life is far better.

LastBoyScout 10 Apr 2024
In reply to abcdef:

Should also mention that the Sapphire version has multi-band GPS - the standard edition does not.

You do get storage, just not as much, 16Gb -v- 32Gb - and the Sapphire comes with a lot more pre-loaded maps. See my second link above.

ianstevens 10 Apr 2024
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Should also mention that the Sapphire version has multi-band GPS - the standard edition does not.

> You do get storage, just not as much, 16Gb -v- 32Gb - and the Sapphire comes with a lot more pre-loaded maps. See my second link above.

Multiband GNSS is absolute overkill on a wrist watch!! Good for surveyors for sure, but for recreation you simply don't need it. Sounds cool though I guess.

In reply to ianstevens:

I dunno, it seems to make a very noticeable difference to the usability of current pace data. On my previous watch I had long given up on that and only used lap average pace, and that often jumped about pretty wildly for the first minute or so of each lap. For shorter intervals having a more reliable measure of current pace adds some value for me. 

It’s not necessary for sure, but nor is 99% (arguably even 100%) of the functionality these watches offer. But I do think it adds a little something beyond just sounding cool. 

ianstevens 11 Apr 2024
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Interesting. I can’t say pace data is something I have ever really struggled with being noisy (except in the very early days)! What was the watch you upgraded from? I suspect you are actually noticing the improvement of a new GNSS sensor in general (which probably uses more systems, more satellites and is often at the max precision for single band) rather than multi band specifically. Multi band with just one sensor only really bumps you from +- 2.5m to +-1.5m precision - it’s real best use is with a differential setup and a survey grade antenna. 

In reply to ianstevens:

I upgraded from a 735xt to a 255, so a bit of a jump but the old one wasn’t a relic.

I might try setting the 255 to “all systems” rather than multi-band and see if it makes any noticeable difference (I think I was actually conflating these options in my mind anyway and misunderstanding what multi-band referred to.)

It’s also possible that there was just something about my local area that was causing issues with data reliability - I used to get 100s of metres of ascent recorded per km on my usual weekday route along a flat seafront promenade with no nearby hills, so something wasn’t happy! I’ve since moved house but presume that would be resolved now one way or another, even if just because the 255 has a barometer.

ianstevens 11 Apr 2024
In reply to Stuart Williams:

> I upgraded from a 735xt to a 255, so a bit of a jump but the old one wasn’t a relic.

Yeah that's still quite a big leap though in terms of GNSS chip! 

> I might try setting the 255 to “all systems” rather than multi-band and see if it makes any noticeable difference (I think I was actually conflating these options in my mind anyway and misunderstanding what multi-band referred to.)

Maybe but the epix 2 pro actually does have multi-band for some reason! Honestly I was just interested in your experience as I can't quite work out what multi-band would add to a recreational device, so was wondering if you had some insight I'd missed. 

> It’s also possible that there was just something about my local area that was causing issues with data reliability - I used to get 100s of metres of ascent recorded per km on my usual weekday route along a flat seafront promenade with no nearby hills, so something wasn’t happy! I’ve since moved house but presume that would be resolved now one way or another, even if just because the 255 has a barometer.

Yeah I used to have similar issues with older watches - glad that it's fixed now though!

OP Philip 11 Apr 2024

I went for the FR955 in the end. And found, by chance, that the benefits provider we use for childcare vouchers has a 25% off deal on Garmin. It's off the RRP and with Garmin, but that still made it only £330. Now I have to reach an agreement with my wife on when I get my birthday present, if I have to wait the 7 or so weeks.

In reply to ianstevens:

> Maybe but the epix 2 pro actually does have multi-band for some reason! Honestly I was just interested in your experience as I can't quite work out what multi-band would add to a recreational device, so was wondering if you had some insight I'd missed. 

The 255 has multi-band as well, which is what I currently have it set to use. I’m going to try dropping it down to the single band “all systems” option instead and see how I go. If it doesn’t make a noticeable difference then I should get a bit more battery life which will be a bonus.

I had a look earlier at some of DC Rainmakers thoughts and he seems to agree with you that in almost all cases the benefits of multi-band are negligible when compared to the all systems or auto-select options. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...