My Favourite Map: The Swiss Valley That Became Home

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKH Articles 11 Mar 2024

For Richard Hartfield, the precisely-plotted lines of an Alpine map have come to represent cherished memories of a very special mountain region throughout the seasons, and the friendships he's made there.

Read more

Norman Hadley 12 Mar 2024
In reply to UKH Articles:

Looks a tremendous place, Richard. And beautiful cartography. 

In reply to Norman Hadley:

Makes me want to visit Glarnerland. I'd never heard of it

In reply to Norman Hadley:

It's a lovely region Norman, and the Swiss maps are works of art!

In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

It's a great place to visit in any season of the year. Really accessible from Zurich, and very quiet!

In reply to UKH Articles:

Just been looking up the geology - not 'strata' actually (which are, basically, successive layers of rock laid on a seabed or similar) - I think we're talking about the Glaurus Thrust, where a slice of landscape (a nappe) has been shoved sideways across the top by the tectonic movements – in this case Italy being shoved northwards by the arrival of Africa. Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glarus_thrust has a great pic of what I think is your 'magic line'. Equivalent in Scotland is the much older Moine Thrust shoving central Highland schist in over the top of the Torridonian. And while I'm being a know-it-all, the Tschingelhörner will be named after the dog Tschingel, climbing companion of English explorer William Coolidge.

In reply to Ronald Turnbull:

This is fascinating Ronald, thanks for the info! He must have been a special dog! And yes, from what I understand after talking to a local geologist in the region, the Glarus Thrust event is what revealed these strata in such spectacular fashion. There's some bolted routes on the Tschingelhörner which lead right over the magic line!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...