Preemptive blister plaster ?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Joemullett24 25 Feb 2024

Doing the Grindleford gallop and wondering, after getting a blister on the winter half tour of Bradwell, if I should preemptively apply a blister plaster to that spot? Anyone got any experience with this technique ? 

Bog ninja 25 Feb 2024
In reply to Joemullett24:

I would not recommend it, pre-taping feet with kt tape to prevent blisters can work,  but compeed plasters don’t work the same as this and can actually increase your risk of skin damage when removing. Aside from well fitting shoes, Other methods folks use for blister prevention including anti chafing products like gurney goo/squirrels nut butter or toe socks. It’s worth checking out the book ‘Fixing Your Feet’ by Vonhof as well 

RM199 25 Feb 2024

For years I used zinc oxide tape to pre tape for mountain marathons. Worked a charm, but can’t buy it any more sadly. 

I would agree I don’t think compeeds would work very well

rsc 25 Feb 2024

I’ve used this stuff on my heels:

https://www.leukoplast.co.uk/products-professional-use/protecting-securing/...

Depends where you’re trying to protect, it might be tricky to fit around toes.

bruxist 25 Feb 2024
In reply to RM199:

> For years I used zinc oxide tape to pre tape for mountain marathons. Worked a charm, but can’t buy it any more sadly. 

I was about to recommend zinc oxide tape. I use it a lot; never any trouble buying it (£4 at Boots). How come you can't buy it anymore?

Dr.S at work 25 Feb 2024
In reply to RM199:

> For years I used zinc oxide tape to pre tape for mountain marathons. Worked a charm, but can’t buy it any more sadly. 

>  

> I would agree I don’t think compeeds would work very well

I use compreed’s preemptively and they seem to do ok for me, the only real issue is with them leaking goop into your socks. 

Basemetal 25 Feb 2024

A coat of Newskin might be a help?

Tom the tall 25 Feb 2024
In reply to Bog ninja:

I've had success with applying bodyglide to potential hotspots for long fell runs, with an n=1 it seems to work.

I used compeed sticks for pre-blister treatment ski touring when my feet weren't toughned up yet. Worked a treat. Just rub some on where you might get them - I put some on ona. 2000m+ day when I started to get a hot spot and it never turned into a full blister.

Probably just overpriced vaseline but I've not experimented with any cheaper home remedies. 

Jenny C 26 Feb 2024
In reply to bruxist:

Climbers finger tape here, husband swears by it and lasts a few days (even showering). 

munro 26 Feb 2024
In reply to Jenny C:

+1 for climbing tape. Used it for a trail marathon this weekend just gone on a couple of areas where I’ve developed blisters on shorter runs - no issues!

Hey there, my thoughts (informed by a number of ultras including multiple day events):

* use Engo blister prevention patches on your shoes - these allow movement without friction and also prolong the life of your shoes

* merino wool socks are great, especially toe socks - again, think movement without friction

* Slather on an anti-chafing cream. My preferred in most conditions is bepanthen nappy cream, though I use trenchfoot cream for long wet / snowy ultras

Enjoy the gallop and get ahead in the first section as the early pinch points across rivers and through narrow sections can really slow you down

NorthernGrit 26 Feb 2024

I use gaffer tape. Shiny surface slides under socks.

very unscientific. Probably terrible. Works for me.

rsc 26 Feb 2024
In reply to NorthernGrit:

Living up to the username!

tobykeep 26 Feb 2024
In reply to NorthernGrit:

Was about to suggest gaffer tape too. Works for me ski touring.

+1 for finger tape. Wide stuff. It will try to roll up if the ends are under your foot so use a longer piece than you need and bring it up over the top.

veteye 27 Feb 2024

Don't get deformed feet. I have bunions, and am wary of surgery, having heard many negative stories from numerous surgery patients. So I just have spacers. Nevertheless, the base of the first/big toe gets damaged when on a run sometimes, and on longer hill walks.

In addition, my longest toe is my second. Since getting older, my feet have lengthened (not uncommon), and I was slow to realize this, so my 2nd toes have been pushed back, and the distal joint(last before the end of the toe) is flexed much of the time, even when bare. Compression socks seem to make this worse, so I have stopped using them when running or in the outdoors. I may try the open-toed compression socks again, but they tend to move back and create a grove on narrower area behind the toes. 

I'm of mixed thoughts about compeed, but it helps when there is an actual blister.

I presume if zinc oxide is an issue, then Durapore is less good, as slightly less pliable? 

Zinc oxide "sets" if left on too long, and that can be a problem.

Nic Barber 28 Feb 2024

+1 for K/microporus/Zinc Oxide type tapes. I pre-taped on the Dragon's Back (2021 - hot) and  worked well.

The DB foot care page has lots of info and links: https://www.dragonsbackrace.com/guidance/2020/4/15/guidance-on-foot-care

Socks important as well - I try to use ones that are mostly wool. When fell running I really only use 1 type of sock (Running Bear's own brand - though these are now less wool by % as they used to be, but pretty cheap at £6/pair). Everyone will have their favoured socks though.

Post edited at 11:35

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...