SKILLS: Barefoot Walking - Dipping a Toe in the Water

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 UKH Articles 06 Feb 2024

Barefoot running has been a thing for years, but what about taking this approach into the hills? Do rocks hurt more, are bogs that bit wetter, and do your feet get tired over a long Munro day? Fliss Freeborn examines the pros and corns of swapping the usual chunky and supportive walking footwear for something modishly minimalist. 

Read more

Norman Hadley 06 Feb 2024
In reply to UKH Articles:

Interesting stuff, Fliss. I was raised on tales of Gwen Moffatt climbing and scree-running shoeless, so I did quite a bit of barefoot (properly barefoot) running on roads when I was a teen full of ludicrous imagined invulnerability. I did it to harden the skin rather than strengthen the feet and I guess it worked - I could handle pretty gnarly grit back then. Barefoot in snow I wouldn't recommend. Grass can be surprisingly slippy. 

Renate 08 Feb 2024

nice to see others walk in minimalist in the hills. Lovely write up. ive been tromping around the Scottish hills for 12 years in bf, including lots of scrambling. I wrote an article for professional mountaineer last year about my experience. I’ve also just set up a fb group to share adventures and experience in Scotland. 

I’m a Freet lover! 

In reply to Renate:

That's really interesting. In terms of literal bare feet I've been thinking it might be nice for five mins on the South Downs in July but somewhat less fun in the Cuillin in November. Not sure I'd fancy literal BF scrambling, but soft/minimalist footwear might actually be nice and sensitive and good for slabby smeary stuff. Is that your experience?

Alex8584 08 Feb 2024

I love walking in minimalist barefoot shoes and my barefoot hiking boots, they’re incredibly comfortable and have really strengthened my feet and lower legs. I still run in conventional shoes and don’t intend to switch to barefoot shoes. I do think walking barefoot really refines your walking and definitely teaches you to walk in a more conscious and sympathetic manner.

johnford 05 Mar 2024

I've lived in Vibram Five Finger shoes for years, gave my knees & back a new lease of life!

Best footwear ever, 6 pairs on the go! The forefoot plant is what evolution intended!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...