Any good deals on 80m ropes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TonyB 05 Feb 2024

I need to buy an 80m sport rope for a trip to Chulilla. My number one priority is that it has to handle nicely with a grigri. I recently used a friend's Edelrid Swift with Aramid and found it horrible. It was full of kinks and twists and felt really stiff. A second wish would be a reasonable balance between being hardwearing and not too heavy. I currently have a 70m Eidelweiss Energy 9.5mm and am very happy with it, but don't want the same rope (I can only see it in one colour) in two sizes. I've looked at the usual places, but given the price of an 80m,  if anyone knows any current deals that would be very useful.

Luke01 05 Feb 2024
In reply to TonyB:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/climbing-rope-9-5-mm-x-80-m-cliff-green/_/R-p...

I've heard good things about the handling of these, and the durability surprisingly enough. And they're cheap. They do an 8.9mm single as well if you're feeling brave. 

OP TonyB 05 Feb 2024
In reply to Luke01:

That is a very good price. I think 9.5mm would suit me. I'm not so brave. 

jezb1 05 Feb 2024
In reply to TonyB:

Good ropes for the money. Not as nice as more expensive ropes but a bargain, I find they last well too.

spidermonkey09 06 Feb 2024
In reply to TonyB:

The vast majority of climbers simply wouldn't get any benefit from a thinner or thicker rope. That's before you get onto the fact that measurement of diameter is not controlled properly so manufacturers can near enough say its a thick or thin as they want.

There don't seem to be many deals around lately for 80m ropes, I was looking around Christmas and ended up going for a green  decathlon one. I've had several over the years and they're fine, and I've always bought the cheapest I could find.

jon 06 Feb 2024
In reply to Luke01:

> I've heard good things about the handling of these, and the durability surprisingly enough. And they're cheap. They do an 8.9mm single as well if you're feeling brave. 

I have a 70m version of the green it's excellent. Quite heavy though and obviously heavier in 80m. If by the 8.9mm you mean the pink one, I was after one of those for ages but it seems is only sold as a 50m (or maybe 60?) now (at least in France). It was replaced by the 9mm Edge which I found was a great rope... until it was recalled ! 

Simon King 07 Feb 2024
In reply to TonyB:

Good deals on Dark Ventures website!

midgen 07 Feb 2024
In reply to Simon King:

Definitely worth checking. I picked up a 50m single for 40 quid recently so I didn't have to wreck any decent ropes dragging them through the mud in the Masson Lees tooling cave. 

PaulW 10 Feb 2024

In reply to BAZ_86:

More AI stuff? How long till we teach you so much that we can't tell the difference.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...