Does anyone else find their photos turning a bit green on the website?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 markryle 01 Feb 2024

Straw-colour grass gets a green tint

make it a bit red and it turns out right colour. I guess it all depends on your screen and eye-sight though

Dan Arkle 02 Feb 2024
In reply to markryle:

Does it look different before you upload it? 

If so, look up 'colour spaces' and make sure your camera/system is working in sRGB

OP markryle 02 Feb 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks Dan, Sorry my question wasn’t clear 

colours look good  viewed  directly in any desktop viewing/editing app, but they get a green tint when I upload to website

camera colour space is sRGB

I also get a choice of colour space when exporting to jpeg from editing app. Recently I’ve tried using ProphotoRGB, but can’t see any difference when viewed in Mac Photos for example.

is there any technical reason that these ones in particular should get a green tint in website version?

Mark

Marek 02 Feb 2024
In reply to markryle:

> I also get a choice of colour space when exporting to jpeg from editing app. Recently I’ve tried using ProphotoRGB, but can’t see any difference when viewed in Mac Photos for example.

Colour management is quite messy unfortunately. The above case looks 'normal' in that I would expect Mac Photos to read and understand ProPhoto RGB colour space and apply your monitor's profile correctly. Browser are a mess though. Depending on which you use you may have to explicitly enable colour management and even then it may not be able to apply the monitor colour profile. The safest thing to do it to stick to using sRGB as your output profile* in that browser will either support sRBG or blindly assume sRGB. Anything else requires more understanding of the colour management capabilities of your tool-chain.

* It's OK to use a wider gamut working profile (like Pro Photo RGB) in your image editor, just make sure you output as sRGB.

Having said all that, I'm not sure what exact colour management issue would cause an obvious green cast in your browser-viewed image. Usually the more obvious symptom is over/under saturated colours. Differences in colour spaces are actually pretty subtle.

Another thought: If you view the picture directly on you PC/Mac with the browser (as opposed to via the website), are the colours OK? If so it points the finger at something not quite right in how the website modifies the picture for display.

Post edited at 17:56
 storm-petrel 02 Feb 2024
In reply to markryle:

I'm not entirely sure I am understanding the issue correctly but here are a couple of test shots. Both are low resolution compared to the originals and are in sRGB. I normally use Windows Photos to view my pictures on an ASUS ProArt 27" monitor. I'll go away and compare the website versions with the Windows Photos versions to see if they look the same. As I said I may be misunderstanding the issue. Digital colour matching makes my head hurt at times.

storm-petrel 02 Feb 2024
In reply to storm-petrel:

Ok, the website versions have a lot less contrast and dynamic range compared to Windows Photos which is perhaps to be expected. There is a slight difference in the colour cast - they look very slighly warmer (magenta) on my monitor using Windows Photos but not significantly so.

OP markryle 04 Feb 2024
In reply to Marek:

Thanks Marek you solved it

I exported as sRGB, instead of Pro Photo RGB and the colours are normal on website

cheers

Mark

The Lemming 05 Feb 2024
In reply to markryle:

> Thanks Marek you solved it

> I exported as sRGB, instead of Pro Photo RGB and the colours are normal on website

> cheers

> Mark

I'd guess that Pro Photo RGB is a bigger colour space that sRGB and because of this, your monitor had to guess what the missing information was. Its like trying to poor a pint of water into a teacup. Some of that water is going to spill away as it cant be captured.

When I started video editing, I had to try and get my head around Colour Management. And my head still hurts.

As far as I can understand the Colour Space of sRGB is practically the same as your monitor, phone, laptop, TV and Tablet Colour Space which is REC709. Apple puts a spanner in the works with their own flavour, because...they can and do.

The next bit that confuses me is the Gamma of your monitor, phone, laptop, TV and Tablet. Some use a Gamma 2.2 for photo editing and video editing while others use Gamma 2.4 for displaying video on stuff like your TV or YouTube.

The way that I've learned to keep things consistent is to calibrate my computer monitor with a device that rests on the screen while specific colours and tones are flashed onto the screen. The device then reads those colours and tones and then adjusts the monitor so that it recreates those colours and tones as faithfully to the originals as it can.

This way I know something I'm working on will be as accurate as I can afford with a consumer monitor and consumer calibration tool. And then when I export my movie projects or photos, I try to export to the Colour Profile that it will be viewed on.

For printing I use a bog standard online printer who uses sRGB and for YouTube I export to REC709. And because my monitor is calibrated I'm sure of a very close end result.

Other people's TVs, monitors, phones and laptops will see it differently, but at least I can provide consistency of my colours so that the greens or whites are mostly as they should be.

Apple screws things up even further by having a Colour Space of REC709A, but they would.

If you've never calibrated your monitor before you may be shocked at how much it can either have a blue tint or an orange tint without you realising and this could have implications on your end result with prints made or how your videos look on YouTube or TVs.

OP markryle 05 Feb 2024
In reply to The Lemming:

Thank you😀

above my pay grade though!

The Lemming 05 Feb 2024
In reply to markryle:

Long story short, buy a calibrating device for your monitor and you won't get any scary results.

And find out how the website Printer company likes your images to be formatted for printing. I'm just a hobbyist and to stay out of problems I set my cameras to sRGB. That way they are in the correct colour space for most domestic printers and websites.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...