Watch pointless NOW bbc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 31 Jan 2024

Now !

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Here you go, ‘From the UK Climbing website, which of these are pointless climbing routes’…..

I’ve photoed the answers if anyone wants to guess….

Answers…

UKB Shark 31 Jan 2024

Tough! Not heard of two of them but done one of the other two. 

Billhook 01 Feb 2024

I watched it.  Hopelessly difficult if you're in your 70s.

magma 01 Feb 2024

strange options. wouldn't be surprised if the pointless team use AI to save their brains..

Michael Hood 01 Feb 2024

What exactly were they asking? What's a pointless route?

Or did they just mean which ones are routes?

broken spectre 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

> What exactly were they asking? What's a pointless route?

> Or did they just mean which ones are routes?

Which ARE the routes that ARE routes that their sample failed to identify.

I think...

In reply to broken spectre:

> Which ARE the routes that ARE routes that their sample failed to identify.

> I think...

Yup. They got 4 actual route names from the UKC database, and two made up routes (not actual climbs). Two of the actual routes no one guessed from the sample as being an actual route. Better explanations are available! There can’t be many times that this actual website is mentioned on bbc.  

Martin W 01 Feb 2024

> Yup. They got 4 actual route names from the UKC database, and two made up routes (not actual climbs). Two of the actual routes no one guessed from the sample as being an actual route. Better explanations are available! There can’t be many times that this actual website is mentioned on bbc.  

I've not watched Pointless in ages* but my recollection is that they supposedly ask a number people (which I believe you can apply to be part of) to name as many things in a given category as they can, in fixed period of time. From memory it's 100 people in 100 seconds, and I'm pretty sure it's done on an individual basis i.e. none of the 100 are aware of anyone else's answers. On that basis, I'd be quite surprised that they managed to find anyone out of a random sample of 100 people who knew any route names.

* Actually, I had an idea that I'd seen that episode back when I did used to watch it, although it's not listed as a repeat in Radio Times 

Post edited at 20:24
In reply to Martin W:

That specific round has a different purpose: if a pair of contestants score a zero, then an extra pile of money is added to the total prize fund. No one is eliminated. So two of the answers score zero, the other two score score very low, and two score an ‘X’. Don’t know any more than that. 

Post edited at 20:46
 Fat Bumbly 2.0 01 Feb 2024

New routers - you know what to do,

Pedro50 01 Feb 2024

> That specific round has a different purpose: if a pair of contestants score a zero, then an extra pile of money is added to the total prize fund. No one is eliminated. So two of the answers score zero, the other two score score very low, and two score an ‘X’. Don’t know any more than that. 

Most confusing post on UKC I've ever read. My elderly mother used to watch with zero understanding before retuning to Hearbeat before the denouement. I loath Alexander Armstrong (have you heard his simpering delivery on Classic FM?) I'm still non the wiser which was the pointless answer. Sorry, a grumpy old man.

freeflyer 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

> Alexander Armstrong Classic FM.

It's difficult to describe just how awful he is. I have the radio on in the kitchen then I can hear the music but not the announcer where I'm working, but I have to stick my fingers in my ears and scream when I make a coffee.

Odd that the only one I knew (conan) was a pointless.

Offwidth 02 Feb 2024

Odd choices...two routes reasonably well known by UK climbers and two most climbers will never have heard of.

Scabby Buttress is obscure but at least sounds plausible.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/upper_cove-1159/sullivan-87469

Sullivan is super obscure, even for 100 guidebook writers!?

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/upper_cove-1159/sullivan-87469

I think 100 people are asked to name as many climbing routes as they can in 100 seconds. They make the list from two false entries,  two pointless and two low scorers. As such nearly all route names would be pointless.

Post edited at 10:55
 Martin W 02 Feb 2024

I know what the purpose of the round is.  It was added a couple of years back as a prelude to the actual head-to-head round.  At the start of the round Alexander Armstrong states that: "We gave 100 people 100 seconds to name as many <subject of the round> as they could".  I still reckon you'd struggle to get even one valid answer in the climbing routes category from a random selection of 100 people.

I too was surprised that Conan the Librarian was pointless.  I suspect they had very slim pickings in that category of answers from their 100 people (and I also suspect that Sullivan might have been a mis-pronunciation or mis-hearing - or even a crow-barring in using that as an excuse! - of Suilven).

Rob Exile Ward 02 Feb 2024

'There can’t be many times that this actual website is mentioned on bbc. '

Should be though. Most of the solutions to the world's problems can be found here.

SDM 02 Feb 2024
In reply to Martin W:

I'm not at all surprised that Conan the Librarian was pointless, given the wording of the question.

I think most climbers these days would view Conan primarily as a boulder problem, but I think "UK Climbing Routes" automatically makes you think of route climbing (i.e. trad or sport). 

So I would expect any climbers in the survey to spend their 100 seconds reeling off trad routes and sport routes, rather than boulder problems. I wouldn't expect any non-climbers to have heard of Conan.

My suspicion is that they must have chosen a cohort with some climbing knowledge, otherwise I I'd expect the only things that would score score anything would be things like Ben Nevis or Pyg Track.

JLS 02 Feb 2024
In reply to SDM:

I too think of Conan the Librarian as a Peak boulder problem but it's also a highly rated E6/7 at Gogarth...

Post edited at 14:22
In reply to Offwidth:

> I think 100 people are asked to name as many climbing routes as they can in 100 seconds

I suspect in this case, they are given the names, and asked to say which they think are real.

FactorXXX 02 Feb 2024
In reply to JLS:

> I too think of Conan the Librarian as a Peak boulder problem but it's also a highly rated E6/7 at Gogarth...

I immediately thought of the route on Gogarth.

FactorXXX 02 Feb 2024
In reply to UKB Shark:

> Tough! Not heard of two of them but done one of the other two. 

They should have used some of Redhead's route names as that would have totally bewildered them.

In reply to captain paranoia:

> I suspect in this case, they are given the names, and asked to say which they think are real.

Agree. And then the researchers choose two that scored zero, two very low scorers (eg not Striding Edge), and throw in two total red herring wrong answers that were not even on the questionnaire because they are not even climbing routes. I think. Who knows. It’s the beeb. Could all be rigged

Dave Garnett 03 Feb 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I immediately thought of the route on Gogarth.

Me too.  I’d never heard of the boulder problem (either of them!)

Offwidth 03 Feb 2024
In reply to captain paranoia:

No way. People would be guessing. Maybe they could be asked if they are certain the names are a real route name but I've never seen,that indicated.

pencilled in 03 Feb 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

> I immediately thought of the route on Gogarth.

Me too. I had no idea it shared its name with a boulder problem.

In reply to Offwidth:

> No way. People would be guessing

And...?

I think you're making too much of a light entertainment programme... I cannot see the BBC going to the trouble of finding 100 climbers, and asking them for route names (from, what, tens of thousands?), and then finding enough common ground to come up with five or six they could present. I mean, no TPS...?

Rupert Woods 03 Feb 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

And there was me thinking bouldering has come on a long way!

Lankyman 03 Feb 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

> They should have used some of Redhead's route names as that would have totally bewildered them.

Yes, they could have been a lot more adventurous. An Alabuse (E2 5c) or Muff Divers (VS 4b) anyone?

Post edited at 12:25
In reply to JLS:

> I too think of Conan the Librarian as a Peak boulder problem but it's also a highly rated E6/7 at Gogarth...

It's the Gogarth Route I was thinking of.

UKB Shark 03 Feb 2024
In reply to JLS:

Fun fact. Both are first ascents by Johnny Dawes but the boulder problem came first. My theory is that after the event he realised it was too good a name to ‘waste’ on a boulder problem so also used it for his epic trad adventure in Wen Zawn.

JLS 03 Feb 2024
In reply to UKB Shark:

I hadn’t realised Dawes had done the Gogarth route too. The grade probably limited my interest. That said, I guess when I first heard of the great name Conan the Librarian it may have been the route people were referring to as I was left with the impression they were referring to something hard… It came as a surprise when I found it to be a relatively modesty graded boulder in a guide.

Without having any Dawes like talent and usually finding even 6a boulders pretty hard, it came as a surprise to nearly flash the boulder. Had I flashed the boulder (rather than 2nd try) I think I would have been tempted to top out for the E3 on-sight tick which could have got messy. Probably a bullet dodged.

Michael Hood 03 Feb 2024
In reply to JLS:

I hadn't realised there was a Dawes boulder problem in the Peak of that name; but I knew that he was the architect of the Gogarth route; "builder" might be more appropriate because IIRC from the account at the time there was a wee bit of cleaning during the first ascent on the second pitch - although I might be remembering from one of his other expeditions on this part of the cliff.

JLS 04 Feb 2024

Oh, Johnny Dawes the chipper you say! I didn’t think he had a reputation for that. When cleaning routes, sometimes you have to remove flakes and the like that you are pretty certain would explode off the wall if pulled the wrong way. The resulting scar can look a lot like chipping. Some people are a bit more heavy handed than others with the “cleaning”, it’s always a judgement call that can sometimes stray a bit close to the edge of acceptability.

Michael Hood 04 Feb 2024
In reply to JLS:

Ah, I can see what's happened there - you've interpreted my post as implying he was chipping - not at all what I was getting at.

IIRC there was a description of him having to clean off loads of loose stuff as he went along on a traversing style pitch - either because it wasn't amenable to abseil cleaning or he was unaware of the exact nature of the rock - I think that was the second pitch of Conan but it might have been one of his other excursions.

"Builder" rather than architect because they don't get their hands dirty (I'm sure some actually do), "and wee bit of cleaning" was just British understatement because I believe there was a rather large amount of cleaning required.

Post edited at 09:56
 UKB Shark 04 Feb 2024

Somebody I know recently told me that as teenager on an early repeat he had a cavalier approach to gear and loose rock and took an immense pendulum fall off that pitch when a pillar of rock he was holding on to came away. Following that pitch having read Johnny’s article I treated every hold with great care and total suspicion.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...