Hiking Backpack for a photographer/hiker/climber

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RichBas 26 Jan 2024

Hi All,

So here is my issue. I enjoy hiking, climbing etc so need a hiking bag for this.

Pretty easy as there are lots.

However I’m also a keen photographer and more often than not leave the main camera behind when I’m on a hike as there is nowhere to store it safely in a dedicated hiking pack.

i have more camera bags and backpacks than I know what to do with but even my favourite (lowepro flip side trek) is too camera dedicated with not enough space for other stuff and is also uncomfortable and clunky when doing anything other than a light walk.

My ideal scenario is having a twin compartment pack where I can put a camera insert or peakdesign camera cube in the lower compartment which frees the top up for normal gear.

For this bag I’m looking at 1 camera and 1 lens without taking all my camera kit with me (so just a Sony A7iii + 24-70 f2.8) 

Ive tested out an Osprey Stratos 36 today and love the pack. But the lower compartment is a bit tight for my needs.

Can anyone recommend anything? 

larger lower compartment (and wider opening) than the osprey stratos 36)

I love the padding In the lower compartment on the osprey. Will I get similar with Lowe alpine etc.

thoughts folks as I’m at a loss.

chiroshi 26 Jan 2024
In reply to RichBas:

Have you looked at Shimoda? I have a photographer friend who uses one of their bags skiing and hiking. It's heavy but the features are very well thought out in general.

65 26 Jan 2024
In reply to RichBas:

Try Aiguille Alpine, they will make whatever you want. It won’t be cheap but it will be worth it.

I have a gigantic POD rucksack which fulfills this role but the pack itself is heavy before you put anything in it, so I tend to just suffer having to excavate the camera bag from the top of my normal day pack.

smbnji 26 Jan 2024
In reply to RichBas:

Not exactly what you asked, and you have mentioned Peak Design, so maybe you're already familiar with it - but have you seen the capture clip? I've found it's pretty good for hikes/scrambles. Climbing less so.

Will Rupp 26 Jan 2024
In reply to RichBas:

A bag like a Lowepro Toploader Photo Active TLZ 50 AW, with a belt loop big enough to put a waistband of a rucksack through. Camera bag then sits separately on hip, and easy to use without having to take the bag off. Or just the camera bag on a separate waistband.

storm-petrel 26 Jan 2024
In reply to RichBas:

I'm not sure I understand what you are wanting here but if you are carrying just one lens and camera why would you want to put it in a "dedicated hiking pack"?

My usual hillwalking camera is a Nikon D500 with the 16-80 Nikkor zoom. It fits nicely in a Lowepro Toploader Zoom 45 AW II. The front pocket takes a spare battery, spare card and cleaning stuff. The camera is always ready for use in seconds.

I put the Lowepro bag on first using a shoulder strap, then put my normal hiking rucksack on, feeding the waist belt through the loop on the back of the camera bag. This helps to distribute the weight a bit more evenly.

It wouldn't be ideal for climbing as the camera bag would get in the way but for hillwalking it works very well.

greg_may_ 26 Jan 2024
In reply to RichBas:

F-Stop - I've two of their bags, one about 9 years old, the other maybe 7 and they've been great. 

https://fstopgear.com/

I am aware they went through some design issues a few years ago. But from what I'm aware most of that was resolved?

FWIW, Not a fan of the Peak Designes capture clip, fine if you want to stash a camera in a set place for a short duration, but a pain in the butt to actually move with a camera clipped to for any duration. 

In reply to RichBas:

I suppose in my mind it partly depends on how much photography you want to do when hiking for example. If it is take the camera out once or twice in a day then a regular walking pack with a small camera/lens bag within would probably be best if it was me.

On the other hand however, if the camera will be in and out frequently, then as others suggest separate bags would be my first choice.

However, there are, or were, rucksacks that really are principally photographic designs but for other things including hiking also. Some were pretty spacious iirc.

An example I recall was Thinktank* who do or did mindset rucksacks with the rotational one designed for very frequent in/out use of the camera, and might give the best protection for that equipment. They weren’t cheap that I recall, but did get good reviews when I looked online at them years ago. Not sure if they are still available in UK anymore, but might be an option if you are USA based or can source one relatively easily/cheaply otherwise.

Edit: * Wow they are expensive now looking at their website. https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/mindshift-gear

Post edited at 17:22
OP RichBas 26 Jan 2024
In reply to RichBas:

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

I have a capture clip and the camera stays on that most of the time. Unless it rains. 

Also have a couple of the Lowepro top loaders of varying sizes.

i guess my main thing is that obviously it rains a lot and I only want 1 bag when I’m hiking and if I’m climbing or scrambling I want to be able to keep the gear safe.

i did consider just putting the top loader in the main compartment. 

I guess I have it in my head that the lower compartment of a good hiking bag would be perfect. I think it’s just something I have in my head now as being my perfect solution. 

I’ve even considered getting something like a Stratos 36 and building my own camera compartment into the lower compartment.

Jon Read 26 Jan 2024
In reply to RichBas:

> i did consider just putting the top loader in the main compartment. 

^^^ Just do this. It's what I do. If I really need to take extra lenses + filters when backpacking they go in a small insert bag in the main compartment too. All rucksacks designed for photography and hiking/climbing are either overdesigned and heavy, expensive. or with terrible carrying design, or all three!

OP RichBas 26 Jan 2024
In reply to Jon Read:

yeah I think that’s probably what I’ll do. Seems the best way forwards. 

just liked the idea of keeping it separate in that lower compartment. I’ll probably still try to rig a permanent camera insert into it so it’s fixed and I can just unzip the compartment and get the camera out. But that can be thought of over time 

yeah agreed. I have a Lowepro flip side trek but it leaves little space for other gear and is uncomfortable for anything long. And I definitely wouldn’t climb in it 😂

Si Withington 26 Jan 2024
In reply to RichBas:

I use a ski touring pack for this with a PD Cube in. Gives me 50% of the main pack compartment for photo gear and the rest for hill kit. Also lots of space elsewhere on the pack etc for other stuff. They tend to have quite a square design so work well with the Cube and also open from the back like a dedicated photo bag which is nice for accessing your camera kit. 

Mine is a Haute Route 32 or something like that and I fit a Nikon mirrorless, couple of lenses, filters, some filming kit and other junk + hill kit. Carries a tripod well and PD clip on the shoulder strap.

No issue with the clip getting in the way. Climb in summer and winter with the clip and a Z7 with a 26mm 2.8 on it and it’s a non issue   

Si

Post edited at 22:33

I wonder if something like the Deuter Guide 40l packs might help with its suitcase style opening? Very definitely not waterproof though.

Mal Grey 27 Jan 2024
In reply to RichBas:

I'm another who uses a Toploader on the waist. I agree, it is not waterproof even with the pull out cover (OK for showers). However I prefer to have the camera to hand or I take far fewer shots and annoy companions waiting for me to get stuff in and pack away. I just stuff it in the top of my daysack when it rains properly, a bit of a squeeze when I have winter spare clothing though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...