Blue Ice: The Art of Ice Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chiroshi 23 Jan 2024

Just picked up this book, only had a quick flick through so far but it looks great. Covers winter climbing history, equipment development, important figures and seems to have quite detailed technical drawings and discussions concerning geometry of modern tools and screws. Most valuable might be the description of different kinds of ice and how to read a fall. As an ice beginner who enjoys understanding the technicality of a sport as much as doing it, then I think it should be an invaluable source of info. 

https://uk.blueice.com/products/the-art-of-ice-climbing

Mr. Lee 23 Jan 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

Yes, I bought this years ago. Great book. Really useful section on reading conditions as you say. Particularly when evaluating the safety of more vulnerable ice structures.

Message Removed 25 Jan 2024
Reason: AI Content
 barry donovan 25 Jan 2024
In reply to chiroshi:

It’s fifty five quid 

MisterPiggy 25 Jan 2024
In reply to barry donovan:

Or £42 if you buy in euros. Plus shipping, taxes etc if destined for UK.

OP chiroshi 26 Jan 2024

Congratulations, you can read numbers. I think you might struggle with the full book though. 

It's a self-published book on a very niche topic that is extremely well researched and executed. It's a very nice book which holds (in my opinion) some valuable information. Much more value to me than a new ice screw or upgrading my crampons...

DizzyVizion 26 Jan 2024

Google the book and you'll find it cheaper elsewhere.

It looks beautiful.

I wish I could afford to climb ice enough to warrant this book...

Anyone know when Ice Factor in Kinlochleven will be reopened?

Post edited at 08:21
 morpcat 26 Jan 2024
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Here's the latest I could find: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66795586

Someone local will likely have closer knowledge

DizzyVizion 26 Jan 2024
In reply to morpcat:

Thanks morpcat 👍

Since that article came out I've been doing frequent checks on google, facebook etc for further updates. 

But no joy so far.

timparkin 26 Jan 2024
In reply to DizzyVizion:

Looking like March earliest at the moment. but things are changing rapidly so who knows.. 

DizzyVizion 01 Feb 2024
In reply to timparkin:

Thanks Tim

Looking forward to it 🙂

65 01 Feb 2024
In reply to DizzyVizion:

> I wish I could afford to climb ice enough to warrant this book...

> Anyone know when Ice Factor in Kinlochleven will be reopened?

There's some irony there. A day on the Ben or Hells Lum will be much better value than going to the Ice Factor. I'm glad it's reopening though.

DizzyVizion 02 Feb 2024
In reply to 65:

> There's some irony there. A day on the Ben or Hells Lum will be much better value than going to the Ice Factor. I'm glad it's reopening though.

Hells Lum has been on my radar for quite some time... I'll be in Aviemore next Friday to Sunday... and I've just purchased 3 more ice screws (second hand of course)... plus, more wintery weather is predicted soon...

Probably not soon enough though ☹️

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...