Bouldering mat

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roboto13 22 Jan 2024

Hi all,

I am venturing into outdoor bouldering for the first time and I am wondering which mat would be best to purchase around £100. Something cheap and cheerful that doesn't make me feel guilty if I only use it a few times or something that makes me carry on if I really like it!

So much to choose from; I just want something to give it a go and advice would be welcomed!

Thanks.  

midgen 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Roboto13:

You'll need to look around for something second hand at that price. Cheapest proper (i.e. not a sit mat) pads around seem to be the Snap and Moon options at around 130 quid from bananafingers.

petegunn 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Roboto13:

Alpkit and even Decathlon do quite reasonably priced pads and are well made for the money, although 

For that price point many of the pads will be quite a bit smaller in both thickness and surface area, (roughly 100cm by 100cm and probably no thicker than 8cm) bigger pads do pop up quite regularly second hand so you'll maybe get a bigger mat for your money second hand.

wbo2 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Roboto13: Banana fingers also have the Metolius basic pad at £120, and that's a decent price.  I'd be a bit wary of the Simond at 1m2 as that starts to look small, fast, and if you like it, you'll very soon be looking to replace it

Second hand will open up a lot of options - people are always keen to move these on if unused as they're a bit big for just leaving lying around

OP Roboto13 22 Jan 2024

Thanks guys!

Second hand seems the way; Banana fingers if not.

sxrxg 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Roboto13:

You could take a look at Psychi pads, I haven't personally used them however they look decent value at £124.99 for a 120cm x 90cm x 12.5cm pad. Also seems that you will get 10% off when signing up to the newsletter. Currently only hot pink avialable, I wouldn't worry though as bouldering in the UK it will be filthy in no time! 

Gooutdoors currently have a sale on... Black Diamond circuit pad is available for £119.97. 89cm x 120cm x 10cm. Also could aviod the expected hefty delivery charge if you get it delivered to a local store and pick it up. 

Post edited at 18:17
 Andypeak 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Roboto13:

Beemats are also quite good. Although fairly unknown/new in the climbing world they have been making gymnastics mats for years so do have some expertise. 

petegunn 22 Jan 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

> Beermats are also quite good. Although fairly old school/old in the climbing world they have been serving gymnastics as mats for years so do need some expertise. 😉

Nick1812P 24 Jan 2024
In reply to Roboto13:

Psychi pads are cheap but they're pretty crap in quality and design. You'd be much better looking around online for a second hand one from snap/moon/organic for a similar price to a new cheap mat. 

With the rise in popularity of bouldering over lockdown lots of people invested in a pad that doesn't see much action, and often get flogged on FB marketplace for a reasonable price. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...