Trekking in Nepal with kids - recommendations please.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Raitt 18 Jan 2024

I’m thinking of taking my kids (8 and 10) to Nepal in April. 
Any recommendations for family friendly treks gratefully received. I’d like to stay away from the super popular areas like Annapurna sanctuary and was thinking of somewhere like Langtang.  

Also any recommendations for a good trekking guidebook?  

Thanks 

stuartby 22 Jan 2024
In reply to James Raitt:

Having done a number of the classic Nepal treks with kids of that sort of age I would def agree about avoiding Annapurna Sanctuary - its busy and most of the days are  through the trees so it lacks variety of terrain. Plus base camp itself is  high, cold and busy so whilst its a spectacular place your kids are likely to not be in great form. If you want to go to Pokhara/the Annapurna region then take a look at the Mardi Himal trek which runs next door to the Sanctuary trek (its not that difficult to combine the two over the course of 7 or 8 days trekking but perhaps ambitious for a first trip). 

I'd suggest you consider  either the Tamang Heritage Trail (easiest and with  some proper culture but few really good views and a pretty  long drive in and out), the Langtang valley, or  Gosainkund/Lauribina Pass. They are all in the same area - north of Kathmandu  -  and benefit from relatively easy access by road, less crowds, decent tea houses, good proper himalayan mountain  views but without being too high and cold. For my money the Lantang valley is the best.

Robin Boustead's book on the Great Himalaya Trail is geared towards big blokes with unruly beards and huge rucksacks rather than families with kids but I'd recommend it, you'll find it very helpful.

If you are with kids, hire a jeep to get you there and back so that you can keep the driver sensible. The shared jeeps and busses  are cheap but the drivers can be young and crazy.

Lots to consider such as whether to get a guide. Drop me a line and I can happily bore you to death on all this. 

OP James Raitt 22 Jan 2024
In reply to James Raitt:

Thanks, very useful! 

Godwin 23 Jan 2024
In reply to James Raitt:

Is this something they actually want to do? Nepal is marvelous, and my son and daughter always walked, my son now hates it, and looks back on the walking days with less than joy, my daughter loved it and still does, and is gently introducing our grandchildren, but I am interested at what age children can physically walk distances and if they enjoy it.

I think now, a guide is not optional.

Tom Briggs 23 Jan 2024
In reply to James Raitt:

Some good resources on the UIAA website when considering taking children to high altitude:

https://www.theuiaa.org/children-at-altitude-essential-advice/

Leonard Tedd 23 Jan 2024
In reply to James Raitt:

Hi James,

I'd second what Stuart says with recommending Langtang. There's a lot of variety and interest on the way up the valley, it's not too far from Kathmandu, and once at Kanjin Gompa there are some nearby hills that can give kids that age the feeling of getting to the top of something (eg Kanjin Ri, but there's also Tserko Ri), while looking up at bigger mountains with a lot of history. You can tell kids that they may see a red panda in the wild.

We lived in Nepal as a family 2016-2019 and had a chance to do several treks. If you're looking to trek from Pokhara (and it is nice to go to Pokhara) then Poon hill is popular but a great viewpoint across to Dhaulagiri. 

For guide companies - I'd recommend Three Sisters in Pokhara.

The other big lesson we found is that kids are much more motivated if trekking with other children around their age (ie planning an itinerary with another family).

Len

OP James Raitt 23 Jan 2024
In reply to Leonard Tedd:

Thanks Len, great to hear from you and thanks for the advice! 

PeakTrekker 24 Jan 2024
In reply to James Raitt:

Langtang could be a great option for you and the kids. The views are amazing but it doesn't get too high or crowded. Definitely worth checking out that UIAA site too for tips on altitude with kids. Have an awesome trip!

stuartby 25 Jan 2024
In reply to Godwin:

Langtang wasnt enforcing the new(ish) guide rule last year - there were lots of unguided trekkers wandering around. From what I hear they are unlikely to be doing so this year. Same for Annapurna region from what I hear. But obviously best to check at the time (dont ask the guides!). 

andrewm1000 26 Jan 2024
In reply to James Raitt:

I’m currently in Nepal full time (since Nov 2022). Would agree with the Langtang recommendation. Plenty of lodges to keep daily distances short and nice views. Langur monkeys and deer on the route. Mardi Himal now gets very busy. 

As of today, no one is enforcing the new Tourism Ministry compulsory guide rule. Single trekking is fine. With children you’d be able to go with just a Porter who can assist in some guide functions if you really don’t want a guide. For me though, I’d take a guide and Porter and you’ll be able to focus on the trek and children and have help if anyone has any problems (health etc).

regards Andrew

OP James Raitt 26 Jan 2024
In reply to andrewm1000:

Thanks very useful.  Langtang is looking good!!

Godwin 27 Jan 2024
In reply to stuartby:

> Langtang wasnt enforcing the new(ish) guide rule last year - there were lots of unguided trekkers wandering around. From what I hear they are unlikely to be doing so this year. Same for Annapurna region from what I hear. But obviously best to check at the time (dont ask the guides!). 

As a guest in the country, and as the idea behind the rule is that tourist money goes to more local people and if you are breaking a law in the country, it may invalidate your travel insurance, and a guide costs bugger all, probably best just to do as asked. Of course, once enrolled you could just use as a porter.

stuartby 27 Jan 2024
In reply to andrewm1000:

Thanks Andrew. When you say nobody is enforcing the compulsory guide rule are you referring just to Langtang or more generally across Nepal?

andrewm1000 27 Jan 2024
In reply to stuartby: In reply to stuartby:  Across Nepal, except in the special regions such as Kanchenjunga region where different rules have always applied eg must have guides and minimum two trekkers on a permit etc. The Khumbu region (Sagamartha national park) and the Gaurishankar region issues tourism 3000 Rupees permit and a national park permit 2000 Rupees (5000 Rupees or around 30 pounds total) and no longer need the trekking permits TIMS as issued before and accept solo visitors local and foreign. Same for Langtang but fees are lower. Both permits for Khumbu can be bought either in Lukla if flying in, or in Jorsale/Monjo on the trail after Lukla if walking in from Jiri. Gaurishankar park offices for Rowling valley, for the Jiri to EBC trail (needs permits for both Gaurishankar and Sagamartha regions because you walk through both parks so 60 pounds) also issue the permits in a few places. Basically the regions/national parks collect the fees now. regards Andrew

andrewm1000 27 Jan 2024
In reply to Godwin: Not sure it’s breaking the law as it’s legal to buy the permits at the entrance to the national parks and those don’t have any rule on needing a guide etc. which was something issued by the Ministry of Tourism which doesn’t have jurisdiction over the regions. I don’t think insurance would be able to challenge it but who knows, so I agree it may come up as an issue at some point. Grey area. Regards Andrew

Godwin 27 Jan 2024
In reply to andrewm1000:

Possibly something for the BMC to clarify, but the FCO does link to the page that says about the charges, so leaving any other issues aside, travelling to Nepal with insurance that maybe voided is not the best plan.

andrewm1000 27 Jan 2024
In reply to Godwin: Thanks, I hadn’t seen the updated gov.uk site and the FCDO-specific reference to a) must have a guide or Porter ie not trekking alone and, b) must have a TIMS. I know many companies in KTM who don’t bother getting the TIMS for their clients but provide Porter/guide and obtain the permits at the national park entry checkpoints/offices rather than TIMS in KTM. Until several years ago everyone had to get a TIMS in KTM (long queues in high season) but gradually permit offices opened in the regions, first issuing TIMS and now only issuing national park entry permits and a tourism permit, no TIMS. There are offices on almost all trails now issuing permits, but not TIMS. 
On the basis of the FCDO site, all trekkers need to have a Porter or guide and should insist that their organising agency obtain the TIMS in KTM before leaving to start the trek or risk an invalid insurance cover. Most of my permits are climbing permits issued in KTM  and include trekking approval to get to the peak. I then pay the National Park entry fee but not the tourism fee, although a couple of times I paid both, even though I should have only been charged the Park entry fee. This month I did trek (no climb) from Jiri to Namche without the TIMS and only paid at the two Park Gaurishankar and Sagamartha) entry offices. Something for me to think about. 

In reply to andrewm1000:

> For me though, I’d take a guide and Porter and you’ll be able to focus on the trek and children and have help if anyone has any problems (health etc).

I'd agree with that. Remember to factor in (your budget) the Guide and porter tips at the end.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...