Weather watch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 16 Jan 2024

In the hilly northern regions of Wigan, we’ve had a few hours of blizzard. Most snow in a good few years. Pity I’m stuck in bed with a lurgy, most likely caught from spending hours on Ward Corridor with my mum (who is now out of hospital and recovering, entered her third day in a corridor, and thanks for folks kind words).  Anyway, I appear to have gotten myself ‘bunged up’, still don’t fancy risking a fart (I did last night, epic fail),  but may stroll out later. 

Lankyman 16 Jan 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

It's stopped snowing here on the frozen tundra of the north Lancashire plain. I think it might thaw and make the ground muddy. Much prefer it like yesterday - no snow but sunny and hard underfoot. Glad to to hear your mum is out of A&E. Spoke to my mum down in the deep south (Crosby) and she said no snow and the sun shining.

Bulls Crack 16 Jan 2024

In Hebden Bridge it's stopped snowing and hummus is now being spread on remaining icy patches. 

felt 16 Jan 2024

Still a steady fall in Kendal, maybe two inches so far.

Stichtplate 16 Jan 2024

> In the hilly northern regions of Wigan, we’ve had a few hours of blizzard. Most snow in a good few years. Pity I’m stuck in bed with a lurgy, most likely caught from spending hours on Ward Corridor with my mum (who is now out of hospital and recovering, entered her third day in a corridor, and thanks for folks kind words).  Anyway, I appear to have gotten myself ‘bunged up’, still don’t fancy risking a fart (I did last night, epic fail),  but may stroll out later. 

Would’ve been nice to get into the hills but my stupid RWD car doesn’t do snow. Still, the normal dog walk was particularly pretty today and the dog got to try out her new coat.😀

abr1966 16 Jan 2024

About 2 inches of pretty looking snow over here in Kettleshulme....melting though now!

Darron 16 Jan 2024

A591 thro Windermere a nightmare!!

Kalna_kaza 16 Jan 2024

I thought this thread was going to be about Garmin watch recommendations. Silly me.

Billhook 16 Jan 2024

>  I appear to have gotten myself ‘bunged up’, still don’t fancy risking a fart (I did last night, epic fail),  but may stroll out later. 

Thanks for sharing.

Michael Hood 16 Jan 2024

Here's a couple of piccies to cheer you up, on "my" lunchtime stretch of the Irwell in the middle of Salford (Broughton road bridge to Adelphi bridge, near the Lidl) less than an hour ago.

Also 22 Goldeneye, numbers gradually going up.

In reply to Michael Hood:

Nice. Managed a stroll: the usual stonechat and tawny owls, plenty fieldfare, kestrel and Sparrowhawk. Best of all was the number of snipe. Large flock of 30 or so flying around. Think they’ve been moved on from their now frozen regular. 

In reply to Billhook:

> Thanks for sharing.

My pleasure. Update: no failures on my stroll, all dry and clean. 

Fat Bumbly 2.0 16 Jan 2024

Bit of drizzle in East Lothian. There are reports of a snowflake landing near Haddington.

Michael Hood 16 Jan 2024

That's twice in the last few days that I've come across a lone pink-foot amongst other geese.

Last Friday in Grasmere, 12 Greylag + 1 PF which I wasn't expecting when I scanned the Greylags.

Today in Salford amongst the Canadas, but someone had reported this a couple of days ago 4 miles upstream (1.5 as the goose flies) so I suspect it's the same bird.

Only used to seeing PFs in flocks or stragglers trying to get to a flock.

Very approachable, I was within 6' of it. Being a flock bird, I wonder if it was taking its lead from the flock "around" it (Canada geese which you almost have to step over), but when in a flock of its own kind, none of them are semi-tame so they all take off from the smallest disturbance.

In reply to Michael Hood:

Was reading an online debate between birders ID’ing vagrant Canada geese. And I thought winter waders was hard !  

ThunderCat 16 Jan 2024

> Anyway, I appear to have gotten myself ‘bunged up’, still don’t fancy risking a fart (I did last night, epic fail),  but may stroll out later. 

In the spirit of disclosure, Ive had a gripey stomach all day. Went for a walk towards the hills to see the snowy view, farted after the first mile, gambled, lost, and then waddled home. 

BusyLizzie 16 Jan 2024

Just cold in Berkshire. Neither snow nor interesting birds to be seen.

babymoac 17 Jan 2024

When will someone ask if Kinder is in ?

In reply to babymoac:

> When will someone ask if Kinder is in ?

Is Kinder in?

Brass Nipples 17 Jan 2024
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Is Kinder in?

Yes, but only till about 2am. You’d best crack on 😁

felt 17 Jan 2024

Beautiful day above Kentmere, -8C at 9.30. Ice and neve lower down, then softer as you got higher. Only had a few hours so went up Sallows, giving this view towards Bowfell. Promises to be the same on Thurs and Fri, then the deluge returns.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...