Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 Survival

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 montyjohn 09 Jan 2024

I just watched the new film on this story, Society of the Snow (I assume we all know this story, but if not, spoilers).

Whenever I watch anything like this, I always think, what would I do in that situation?

Always a hard question as it's hard to unknow what you know in hindsight and it's hard to know how your body and mind would react under those strains. But I find it a fun exercise regardless.

The one decision that I find really interesting to think about is the direction to hike out of the mountains.

They chose to hike West, over a ridge 700m higher than them on the basis they they believed they were on the western edge of the Andes and over the ridge they would see lights from towns. And any other direction would have meant crossing the entire Andes.

I think (caveats above) I would have argued to go East regardless. My rational would be, if we are on the West side of the Andes, then the valley will likely bend round in the direction we want to go. If we're in the middle of the Andes, then East or West is equally desirable so pick the easier route (i.e. downhill). 

Worst case, we're on the West of the Andes, and the East direction valley crosses the entire mountain range, it's going to be downhill all the way and every meter you loose in elevation, everything apart form food refrigeration improves quickly.

Now even with the benefit of hindsight, I'm not sure if East would have been better. For reference the crash location is here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Santuario+y+monumento+de+la+tragedia+de+A...

It would have been an easier and safer walk to go East, but if they had to walk all the way to El Sosneado to get help, then West may have been the right call.

But not knowing what we now know, would you have been persuaded by a difficult but hopefully short climb West, or an easier but potentially much longer walk East?

Stenton 09 Jan 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

I think a small party had already tried to go east but had been beaten back by weather and snow conditions. But conditions would have been improving all the time towards Southern Hemisphere midsummer.

As you say, they were labouring under the misapprehension of the co-pilot's misnavigation that they were much closer to the Chilean littoral than the Argentine one. What's not clear to me is why, having made the ridgeline and it became clear they were pretty much dead centre in the Andes, they continued west despite one of the two remaining escape party members sighting what they believed was (& actually was) a road to the east. I believe making the ridgeline required cutting steps without equipment so possibly descending east was out of the question.

At least having continued west, they were able to make human contact and a rescue operation organised very quickly after that by the Chilean Air Force despite the remaining survivors being on the 'wrong' side of the border (I don't think this was necessarily a given - much of the mutual border further south was unresolved and Argentina nearly invaded Chile over a Falklands-style land grab 6 years later).

OP montyjohn 09 Jan 2024
In reply to Stenton:

> What's not clear to me is why, having made the ridgeline and it became clear they were pretty much dead centre in the Andes, they continued west despite one of the two remaining escape party members sighting what they believed was (& actually was) a road to the east.

I got the impression the two that continued accepted they were walking to their death which was preferable to going back to the plane.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...