Canoeing from Sheffield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 15 Dec 2023

Can someone recommend me a good canoeing trip, doable in a day from Sheffield. Don't mind 1-2hrs drive. 

Ideally a scenic river, grade 1 or 2, doable with a Canadian canoe and one car (and bike) for logistics. And not too much industrial grimness.

Thanks 

CantClimbTom 15 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Reading the title, I thought the post was planning an elaborate escape bid

OP Dan Arkle 15 Dec 2023
In reply to CantClimbTom:

My friend Ed has tried to persuade me to do a multi day escape trip down the Don to the sea - it's a bit more than I'm after! 

Fat Bumbly 2.0 15 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Too quiet for you?

deepsoup 15 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

If you've never done it and you don't mind shooting a few weirs, a short day trip down the Don might be a worthwhile outing.  Put in to the Don at Leppings Lane, or if there's plenty of water into the Loxley at Malin Bridge and paddle down to Meadowhall.

I did each variation once by kayak, solo, and really quite enjoyed it (but not so much that I've done either again since - make of that what you will).  One car, no bike, shuttle by Supertram.

Mal Grey 15 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Surprisingly hard to recommend. The Derwent is the obvious choice, Darley Dale down to Matlock Bath, but is quite short and access not always easy.

The Idle from Old London Road nr West Drayton, through Retford to Chainbridge Lane to the north, is a nice interesting day out but not whitewater as such. Does need equivalent skills to G1/2, though just because of a few small weirs (runnable in most conditions) and likely tree dodging/blockage hazards in moderately fast flow. In high water, you won't get under some of the bridges, and it should be avoided.
Downstream from there is really just a pleasant small rural river without features.

If the water levels aren't right for the Idle, the nearby Chesterfield Canal is lovely and rural to be honest. I'd recommend Wiseton, through Drakeholes Tunnel (short but interesting) to the top lock for the nicest bits, extendable to the south if a one-way trip.

A different option is that Ladybower res has recently opened up for paddle sports; its a pay to paddle option though.

kevin stephens 15 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Right at the upper end of your 1-2 hours limit, and subject to a rare forecast of no or slight wind and swell, a sea trip around Flamborough Head from North Landing to South Landing could be excellent. The start and finish are close by road so you could leave your bike at the finish point to retrieve your car. Very little tidal flow so you would need to paddle…..

Post edited at 20:33
 olddirtydoggy 15 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

We've paddled the best stretch of the Don many times which is Kilnhurst at the side of the canal moving towards Rotherham, we turn at the large weir but you can cart your boats round. There is no public access to the waterside and our record of kingfisher sightings is 11, quite possible some of those birds were the same ones. White stork, depending on the season and a lot of herons. The Conisborough section of river from Sprotborough isn't bad either.

Baz P 17 Dec 2023
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

I think the river from Kilnhurst is the Rother. I’ve canoed this through Rother Valley Park, Treeton and Catcliffe to meet the Don in Rotherham. Nearly came a cropper here back peddling at the big weir in the centre of Rotherham. 
After the first time canoeing the Rother in the mid sixties it took an hour to clean the oil slick from the bottom of the canoe. 

Jenny C 17 Dec 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

Deepcar to Oughtibridge is a lovely section when water levels are high, and mostly not urban.

deepsoup 17 Dec 2023
In reply to Jenny C:

> Deepcar to Oughtibridge is a lovely section when water levels are high, and mostly not urban.

When there is enough water it's pretty clearly grade 3 through the rocky bits though, and quite tight in places so I'm not sure how doable it is in a Canadian canoe.

Actually, thinking on, I'm not sure how good an idea it would be to shoot all the various weirs on the route I suggested in a Canadian - doable I'm sure, but best to go equipped with a drysuit and a sense of humour!  (And not be loaded up with all the camping gear for a multi-day expedition all the way to the coast.)

kevin stephens 17 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

a more tranquil paddle in a rural pastoral setting is the Selby Navigation from a car park just east of Brayton, south to the the next lock and back, a round trip of just over 12km. I did it today with a chilled bunch of sea kayakers.

OP Dan Arkle 18 Dec 2023
In reply to kevin stephens:

Thanks All,

Some good ideas for me there. 

olddirtydoggy 18 Dec 2023
In reply to Baz P:

Nope, it's definitely the Don, just had a look on G maps. The Rother runs from Roth town center towards Rother valley like you say. The bit of the Don from Kilnhurst after you get off the canal is virtually non flowing due to it's size and flatness. This section is incredible.

LG-Mark 19 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Should be doable in 2hrs from Sheffield; there's a good route on the Trent just south of Derby.

Put in at Twyford, paddle down to "Kings Mills Lane" opposite "The Priest House" hotel, take out on the left bank just past the hotel and then portage about 1km WNW to the Weston on Trent Lock on the canal, then paddle back to a bridge just north of Twyford. Its then a bit of a walk to fetch the car, but not hugely far.

If i recall, there are a couple of bits of Grade 1 on the river and there is a fun jet to play in depending on conditions.

deepsoup 19 Dec 2023

> The bit of the Don from Kilnhurst after you get off the canal is virtually non flowing due to it's size and flatness. This section is incredible.

That sounds idyllic for drifting along more or less aimlessly on a nice day.  I'll check it out some time too, thanks.

Baz P 26 Dec 2023

Apologies, my bad, I was thinking of Killamarsh. I do agree that the section between Sprotborough and Conisbrough is quite good and there is a good pub at Sprotborough where you’ll be glad of your canoe as they have been flooded a couple of times lately.

toad 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

the Soar is quite nice, there are several out and back or loop options - Barrow on Soar 

https://britishcanoeing.org.uk/uploads/documents/River-Soar-Barrow-Loop.pdf

or put in from Normanton on Soar - paddle upstream and take the backwater before you get to the lock

although at the moment both  will be massively in flood!

olddirtydoggy 27 Dec 2023
In reply to Dan Arkle:

River Idle loop can be done over 2 days. River Idle out to Stockwith and canal back to the Idle valley nature reserve. My wife dumped an old vid on that Youtube thingy ages ago somewhere. 32 miles with a sneaky camp for 1 night.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...