NEW ROUTE CARD: Meall na Teanga & Sron a' Choire Ghairbh - The Loch Lochy Munros

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
A compact group of hills rising boldly from the north shore of Loch Lochy, these two Munros present their spectacular side to the A82. They prove less formidable than they look, via the standard route from Laggan, an up-and-back-the-same-way option so well-travelled as to have descended into cliche. But while more imaginative approaches are possible the path most-trodden is clearly the easiest. More than this, though, it's a pleasant day out with some tremendous elevated perspectives on the Great Glen. We don't always have to be different.

11.62 miles, 18.70 km, 1,289m ascent, 5:30 – 6:30 hours. Fort William

Read more

Lankyman 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

It's twenty years since I was on these two hills. We did the approach up Gleann Cia-aig with its lovely falls and woodland then traversed west over the tops west of Meall na Teanga IIRC. I remember being most impressed by the huge Coire Glas. I'm glad to have seen it before it gets changed forever.

kinley2 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

Did them last time via Gleann Cia-aig and plan to repeat them from that side.

There's an ATV track from NN 180 897 that allows a traverse of Ruigh na Beinne, Meall Odhar and Meall Coire Lochain of Meall na Teanga and then on to Sron a' Choire Ghairbh. 

The double dog-leg approach from the north doesn't ring my bell.

Lankyman 07 Nov 2023
In reply to kinley2:

> Did them last time via Gleann Cia-aig and plan to repeat them from that side.

When we reached the top of the glen I thought the smaller hills to the north looked quite good. If I'm ever back that way I might go take a look.

Mike-W-99 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> When we reached the top of the glen I thought the smaller hills to the north looked quite good. If I'm ever back that way I might go take a look.

Yes, its very pleasant round there.

Robert Durran 07 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> It's twenty years since I was on these two hills. We did the approach up Gleann Cia-aig with its lovely falls and woodland then traversed west over the tops west of Meall na Teanga IIRC.

I once did them that way for a change and would recommend it. Last time I did them quite recently I took in Ben Tee which avoided the backtracking and has a pretty pleasant descent. Also recommended.

kinley2 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> When we reached the top of the glen I thought the smaller hills to the north looked quite good. If I'm ever back that way I might go take a look.

They are a good day. A nice cluster of hills with a relatively simple walk over 2 Corbetts and 2 Grahams.

Lankyman 08 Nov 2023
In reply to kinley2:

> They are a good day. A nice cluster of hills with a relatively simple walk over 2 Corbetts and 2 Grahams.

Not sure I can handle 2 Corbetts AND a couple of Grahams at current fitness levels but they look (on the map) like you can get off relatively easily in places without getting cragfast. I'm not so bound up in lists these days, just having a nice walk. Going through the Highlands these last few years it seems like the usual Munro parking spots would be rammed. Although I never 'compleated' (80-odd short) I don't really have the energy or inclination to pick it up again.

DizzyT 08 Nov 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

My recollections of that approach late 90s was unrelenting bog. However the northern approach is somewhat forgettable. The view from Meall Nan Teanga is immense on a clear day though.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 09 Nov 2023
In reply to DizzyT:

And I once made a mistake of bikepacking the glen to the west.   Fedden is a fine spot mind.

The ridge over the tops above the Cam Bealach path to Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh is a good way up. Enjoyed that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...