Seirra Nevada (Spain) trekking peaks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MattJakob 06 Nov 2023

Hi,

Looking for some tips on mountaineering (trekking rather than climbing) in the Seirra Nevada in Spain. I've found it strangely difficult to find good info by googling. 

Planning to go there end of April/start of May to hopefully get some snow on the summits. Looking at peaks similar in technical difficulty to Scottish munros. Any help on the following would be great:

A good place to base ourselves. We will have a car to access the hills. 

Good peaks to do! Walking, rather than climbing. We were both once climbers, are now exclusively walkers, but do have extensive (over 30 years each) winter mountaineering experience in Scotland and fair bit in alpine environments abroad. 

Is there good guidebook of trekking peaks in the region? I haven't found one.

Am I looking at the right time of year? Will there still be snow on the peaks late April? We were in the Cordillera Cantabrica in May last year, it was baking hot and there was hardly any snow. 

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Mark Eddy 06 Nov 2023
In reply to MattJakob:

This guidebook published by Cicerone would be a good place to start: https://www.cicerone.co.uk/walking-and-trekking-in-the-sierra-nevada

OP MattJakob 06 Nov 2023
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thanks Mark. I somehow failed to find this when I looked at the Cicerone website! Have now ordered it. 👍 

PJ2398 06 Nov 2023
In reply to MattJakob:

Have a look on Facebook for Spanish Highs. We went independently a few years ago but Richard from the company was fantastic with advice/tips and helping with logistics. They are based in Lanjaron, I think and have superb local knowledge. 

benrhyd 07 Nov 2023
In reply to MattJakob:

I went a few years back in October and had a great time. We just rented a car and stayed in campsites (can’t remember which ones sorry) when we were off the hills, but spent a fair bit of time in the refugios/wild-camping.

The cicerone guidebook was really useful and we bought maps in an outdoor shop in granada, but they weren’t too easy to find, so might be an idea to buy them before you go.

If you’re camping, I remember finding screw-top gas canisters (like what most UK stoves seem to use) was a bit tricky, so may be worth stocking up on this in granada or malaga if you’re passing through.

Hope you enjoy the trip, we had a great time there, some of the best walking/running days I’ve had anywhere! 
On a side note, would totally recommend a visit to alhambra, if you’re passing through granada and haven’t been. We stopped there on the way to the hills and thought it was well worth visiting.

Mike P 10 Nov 2023
In reply to MattJakob:

Get in touch with Michael Hunt and Jane Livingstone at Sierra Nevada Guides.

They'll give you loads of help.

OP MattJakob 11 Nov 2023
In reply to benrhyd:

Thanks, that's great. Have got my guidebook now and there seems like a load of great stuff to do. Will bear that in mind about the gas. Planning to do at least one camp. 

Matt

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...