REVIEW: Patagonia Triolet Jacket - PFC-Free, and Built to Take Abuse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 03 Nov 2023

Featuring Gore's new PFC-free ePE membrane, the Triolet is a superb and very burly shell, says Rob Greenwood, capable of year-round use in a wide variety of disciplines, and built to take plenty of abuse.

Read more

Rampart 03 Nov 2023
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Did you get a chance to test it in hours-long rain slogs? I've a Patagonia jacket I've had for over a decade that is great apart from having a hood that channels water down to the chin guard/zip backer, which then wicks down to gradually soak across the chest.
I've stuck with it since it seems a bit wasteful to ditch an otherwise sound jacket, but that's a pretty bad flaw for a waterproof, so I'd been quite tempted to replace it with a better-performing 'eco' alternative.

And do Patagonia recommend any particular wash/re-proofer?

simes303 04 Nov 2023

I wasn't going to comment on prices any more but

...but...

£390???????????????

TobyA 04 Nov 2023
In reply to simes303:

> I wasn't going to comment on prices any more but

> ...but...

But that's your thing Simes303. It keeps us reviewers on our toes thinking about that price versus value - I might even get some of those plastic band bracelets made up for the gear reviewers with instead of "WWJD? - what would Jesus do?" on them, "WWS303S? - what will Simes303 say?"

> £390???????????????

It's a lot of money but quite a lot less than the price of Goretex ProShell jacket from any of the major brands (and GORE seem not to license to non-major brands). They seem to be consistently in the GBP 450 to 550 range these days.

From Rob's other article on this new more-environmentally friendly Goretex, I think it's replacing the old mid-level goretex (very confusingly just called GORE-TEX as opposed to PRO above it or PACLITE below it). So I guess whether it's the average sort of cost, or expensive or cheap, depends on comparing to other jackets made out of the mid-level GORE-TEX. 

jezb1 04 Nov 2023
In reply to simes303:

Seems like a bargain compared to Arcteryx's top of the range (Gore Tex) jacket!
https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/sabre-sv-jacket

£700....!

alx 04 Nov 2023

Judging by the price these jackets ask for they better be made of gold, frankincense, myrrh, be self cleaning and carry my kit to th crag for me.

simes303 04 Nov 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Okay fair enough. Some people have a hell of a lot more money than I do. My waterproof cost £40 from GO Outdoors and I can't imagine ever being in a situation where it wasn't good enough.

Spend your money as you see fit. I spent £400 on a set of Minirigs a couple of years ago. I'm sure some people would consider that excessive. 

"WWS303S? - what will Simes303 say?" That's worth a try. Do I get a free one?

Si.

Post edited at 22:31
 TobyA 04 Nov 2023
In reply to simes303:

> "WWS303S? - what will Simes303 say?" That's worth a try. Do I get a free one?

Absolutely! (Although it could be confusing on an existential level: considering what you would do in order to know what you should do. I can see big issues with worries over spirals of infinite regression happening here! )

Sankey 05 Nov 2023

While this is a necessary step, I wonder if the overall environmental impact of the frequent washing plus requirement for proofing products does make this an overall more sustainable product.  Does seems like a move in the right direction though and away from a more disposable lightweight approach.

Ridge 05 Nov 2023

I read that as “Patagonia Toilet Jacket - PFC-Free, and Built to Take Abuse”

Thought it seemed a bit 'niche'.

nufkin 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Ridge:

>  I read that as “Patagonia Toilet Jacket

Do you not dress for the occasion? What an oik

TeeBee 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Rampart:

>  Did you get a chance to test it in hours-long rain slogs?

I also would be interested to learn more about this. Though, while bearing the thread about 'sustainable' Goretex in mind - https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/ukc/sustainable_gear_the_evolution_of_gor... - I'm tempted to try one regardless on the basis that Patagonia (at least here in the US) will likely accept its return if it doesn't meet expectations.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...