Drying wet gear - Lakeland pop-up dryers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 02 Nov 2023

Anyone tried using the pop up dryers that Lakeland sell to dry outdoor gear (shoes, waterproofs, etc) that can't be tumble dried, like mini dry rooms.

cmr132 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Philip:

Yes they are very good for clothes particularly when using the cover over the top of the dryer. Don't tend to use it for shoes, worth looking at ski boot dryers/warmers. 

midgen 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Philip:

Gave up on tumble driers years ago, a dehumidifier is less space, more versatile, and doesn't trash your clothes. Also useful for household stuff (like drying floor after a pipe leak). 

Tringa 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Philip:

The thing that concerns me about these dryers is where the dampness from the clothes goes, I assume it condenses on the walls of the room, which can't be good.

The only walking gear I have that can't be tumble dried are boots(which I dry out with newspaper, which I admit does take a while) and a Merino blend baselayer(but if that get wet I am in trouble).

Dave

Mark Bull 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Philip:

For boots I have a MaxxDry Heavy Duty dryer that does 2 pairs at a time. Quite expensive, but effective. It has a timer with a maximum of 3 hours, so you can't leave it on all night, but two 3-hours sessions of an evening is usually plenty. 

Ramblin dave 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Tringa:

> The thing that concerns me about these dryers is where the dampness from the clothes goes, I assume it condenses on the walls of the room, which can't be good.

Yeah, I'd assume that you either want to stand it next to a dehumidifier or run it somewhere that's very well ventilated and set up to deal with a bit of moisture like a kitchen or a utility room. We've got a dehumidifier and the one downside is that you do need to get the room where it and the clothes are to a decent temperature before anything gets any drier, so I guess that something like this might be more efficient than heating the house if you're normally a "put on an extra jumper" type.

To be honest, though, when I saw the thread title I thought that someone had had the idea of sticking a heater and a dehumidifier in the back of a van and setting it up as a portable drying room at campsites in the Lake District. Now there's a free business plan if anyone wants one...

OP Philip 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Tringa:

I did worry about this, but felt I could do it in my warm upstairs hallway with some airflow to reduce humidity. I was thinking of waterproofs, soft shells, and paddling kit that won't tumble dry - neoprene for example.

If you mean the heated clothes airers they're pretty fabulous for drying clothes, especially with a bed sheet chucked over them to keep the heat in (ruddy flats - no tumble dryer, radiators or washing line...). I'm not sure I'd put my waterproofs directly on them though; maybe with a teatowel underneath - I have a funny feeling that's how I've ruined every pair of Sealskin socks I've ever owned.

Luke90 09 Nov 2023
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

> especially with a bed sheet chucked over them to keep the heat in

The Lakeland ones come with a specific cover to do that job now. Does work well.

Sam Beaton 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Philip:

When I saw the thread title I thought of something completely different. Which, if I may say so, I think is a brilliant idea of mine and someone should do it.

By a pop up dryer I thought you meant something to go alongside a pop up cafe. To be provided at various temporary and changeable locations around the Lake District for backpackers and bivviers to dry out stuff while they sit and have a brew.I

Should I write to Dragons Den or should I just get my coat?

veteye 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Rambling Dave got there first. Read his message:-

Sam Beaton 10 Nov 2023
In reply to veteye:

oops

Ramblin dave 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Sam Beaton:

Great minds

deepsoup 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramblin dave:

You're missing a trick with your campsite pop-up drying room though - people are mostly going to want to dry their kit overnight, so you could set it up as a 'wild sauna' during the daytime.

Iamgregp 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Ramblin dave:

We've just invested in a dehumidifier for our house as we had some slight damp issues last winter, and are about to have two kids and a lot of washing needing drying all the time.

For £150 quid it's quite impressive - hadn't appreciated that as part of the process it blows warm air out.  Stick it in a room with some drying washing and you're laughing.  Warm, dry toasty room and laundry in no time.  Should have got one years ago!

SATTY 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Philip:

Got one of theses from charity shop for £20 ,it has been brilliant in the spare bedroom never any problems with damp or water ,can just put up 1 side if necessary. Think about 150 quid but dunelm mill for about £100

Sam Beaton 10 Nov 2023
In reply to deepsoup:

with or without the crusty abandoned boxer shorts in it from the previous night?

Fiona Reid 10 Nov 2023
In reply to Iamgregp:

We have a garden and washing line but you get periods where nothing dries as it's too wet or cold - I live up north and my other half's jeans were frozen to the line for week this winter.  

We've used a dehumidifier for years. It's great. Dry clothes, no mould or condensation. They can also be used when you need to dry paint or plaster 😀

In reply to Luke90:

Fair. I did try to replace my old one the other day and they seem to have at least doubled in price, sadly. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...