Morocco - Mountains other than Toubkal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Miskawroe 31 Oct 2023

Looking for an alternative recommendation to Toubkal, would rather something a bit quieter but of similar or slightly lower height. Happy to do long days and fairly technical ascents. Any recommendations that are less well known in the Atlas Mountains?

There doesn't seem to be masses of information online.

Harry Jarvis 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

Some friends of mine have just come back from what sounds like a very enjoyable trip to M'goun. This is Morocco's third highest peak at 4071m, and is apparently considerably less crowded than Toubkal. 

wercat 31 Oct 2023
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Strangely I didn't see another soul when I went out of the door and up Toubkhal until I got back down to the refuge Neltner!  That was in April 1989 though!

Post edited at 16:34
 Iain Thow 02 Nov 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

I used Tacheddirt as a base and did Akhsoual, Anrhemer and Angour as day trips from there. All excellent hills (3600-3900m) with good easy mountaineering routes (would be scrambles in summer). Met nobody on the hill, although it was a) back in 1990, and b) Easter. I gather the area got pretty badly hit in the earthquake though, so not sure what the facilities would be like now. The locals could probably do with some income, I would guess. If you're going in winter then Des Clark's guide for Cicerone, Mountaineering in the Moroccan High Atlas, is excellent. Particularly recommend the North Spur of Tazegzaout, which isn't in the guide but you can see it in the pic on p139.

Iain Thow 03 Nov 2023
In reply to Miskawroe:

I've put a write up of my 1990 trip on my blog, iainshillwanderings, including the three hills I mentioned. The access info will be out of date but the mountains won't have changed much!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...