Thermarest NeoAir Xlite losing air overnight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 06 Sep 2023

Is losing air overnight typical of NeoAirs?

Seemed to maybe deflate by 25% of its pressure overnight last time is used it, i have inflated it at home and its definitely losing something

Only used it a handful of times and always in a tent with footprint and at home is stored deflated and rolled in its bag so not sure if its failed or has somehow got a puncture, bit of a pain...

Andypeak 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm assuming you've tried submerging it in water to find the leak? If it's just a normal puncture they are pretty easy to fix. If it's a seam or anything it might be worth contacting Thermarest. The customer service was amazing when I put a crampon through my mat and it was completely unrepairable. They sent me a brand new one at cost price (less than £30) which is pretty incredible given that it was completely my fault and I only contacted them on the off chance it could be repaired. 

magma 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

have had a number of cheap air beds- most failed at the bottom of the valleys.. not sure any lightweight inflatable is very robust?

Dave Cundy 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Shouldn't be losing ANY air overnight.  Mine is about 6 years old, used for maybe two weeks a year.  Still absolutely fine (but also, still sounds like a bag of crisps).

olddirtydoggy 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Termarest have a good vid online about finding leaks and repair. I seem to remember the bath of water was the way to find it. Their branded repair kits are great, took 5 mins and a year later my bed is fine.

OP Dark-Cloud 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

Nah, haven't tried anything yet, will have to be soapy water as per the Thermarest videos, no bath in our house.

OP Dark-Cloud 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Dave Cundy:

Cheers, yes very crinkly.

jimtitt 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It's also a feature with air mats that inflated at six in the evening the drop in temperature makes them go soggy overnight.

Mal Grey 06 Sep 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yeah, check it over for tiny puncture leaks first, but Thermarest customer service is second to none so don't hesitate to contact them for help.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm on my second neoair xlite. First was returned for this very reason as the leak was coming out a seam (which is not home repairable). 

The second also loses some air overnight, I did find a hole and plugged it which improved things.

Wouldn't get one again! (I don't care how good customer service is when the product reliability is so poor).

P.s. Mine is the large/wide version and it's a battle to submerge! I ended up using the soapy spray bottle method. 

Post edited at 08:28
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

After having a blow up mat fail on me on top of a cold mountain top I have gone back to a closed cell foam mat. Virtually indestructible and cheap. Lighter too.

Post edited at 08:34
OP Dark-Cloud 07 Sep 2023
In reply to WildAboutWalking:

Yeah, i have a couple of normal Thermarests which are pretty robust but I feel like i have been run over in the morning if i sleep on them.

OP Dark-Cloud 07 Sep 2023
In reply to Alasdair Fulton:

Cheers, will tackle it this weekend, i can't imagine its got puncture so am suspecting a seam

Ryan23 07 Sep 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've had a similar problem. Had one thermarest that leaked from a seam, it got replaced on warranty. 

The new one, after some use, would go down a bit overnight but not completely flat. I tried submerging and looking for a hole but couldn't find anything, tried a few times, still nothing. I patchedf up a scuffed bit thinking that might be where the hole was but that didn't help. Tried submerging a few more times and eventually found the tiniest stream of bubbles. The hole was so small I couldn't see it. Patched it up and it's fine now.

The one that leaked from the seam gushed out bubbles and was really obvious.

TL;DR Some holes are smaller than you think, keep trying and you'll find it.

Pedro50 07 Sep 2023
In reply to Ryan23:

Had one leak, couldn't find, thermarest repaired for £16. Another mat developed serious hernias, they replaced foc. A good company.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...