Are the scarpa boreas walking boots crampon compatible?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi,

May sound stupid but i have bought myself a set of scarpa boreas boots and i was wondering if anyone knows if they're crampon compatible?

Thanks 

Rampart 02 Aug 2023
In reply to Thomas Hardbattle:

Can't see them on the Scarpa site ( https://www.scarpa.co.uk/walking-boots/ ), but if they don't have a heel welt then at best it would unwise to use them with anything stouter than a flexible walking crampon.

ebdon 02 Aug 2023

I'm going to start with the caveat that this is sketchy advice so take at your own risk..... 

As long as the crampons you use have straps and not wire bails you can fit them to almost any shoe.  My wife used a pair of standard leather walking boots (as they were comfier than her winter boots) with g12s for years on lots of Scottish classic easy routes with no issues.

I managed to strap a pair of petzl irvis to my approach shoes earlier this year to get up a steep icy gully. It was quite unpleasant as the shoes were so bendy and i wouldn't recommend it, but it just about worked.  

Basically it depends on the crampon attachments and how much stiffness you want from the boot (I.e. snowy walking bendy is fine, steep front pointing arrggghh, yer gonna die)

In reply to Rampart:

Yeah they seem to have been recently discontinued 

In reply to ebdon:

I'll give it a stab. If it doesn't work it's a good excuse for some new boots  

VictorM 02 Aug 2023

If you're at all familiar with the German boot rating system: they have an A/B rating, which means that they're pretty bendy. Technically it should work with a universal crampon, although I don't think it would work well for anything but fairly un-steep snow slopes. 

Might also be worth it to check if you can get flex bars for the pons. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...