Who still make traditional made in the UK rucksacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I was wondering if there was still any people whi make high quality traditional rucksacks like what we had back in the day (90s and before). Such as the classic nylon canvas bomb proof built to last rucksacks. I have had a few modern rucksacks and they don't feel nealry as sturdy as their 30 year old counterparts.

As a side to this I was also wondering as I'm a teenager in the next few years would starting a make in UK traditional rucksack brand get me anywhere or would it be a waste of time and money. 

Big Steve 08 Feb 2023
In reply to Thomas Hardbattle:

Aiguille Alpine, nothing fancy just solid well made rucksacks. There is at least one more well known manufacturer that I can't think of right now as I'm sleepy

midgen 08 Feb 2023

https://summiteerequipment.com/

https://www.builttosend.com/

I like the look of the Built To Send, maybe for next winter....

TobyA 08 Feb 2023

> As a side to this I was also wondering as I'm a teenager in the next few years...

Does this mean you are currently 11 or 10? 

Will Hempstead 08 Feb 2023

We’ve got a few brands based in the UK that have been mentioned, there is also Atom Packs but they’re more of a walking brand. Alpine Luddites and Cold Cold World are both based in the states and look amazing but you’d have to get them shipped over. 

Recently I’ve started making rucksacks on my old sewing machine. Initially it was just one for me, then a friend wanted one, now I’ve had so much demand that I’ve had to buy an industrial sewing machine. Basically I’ve been really surprised at how many people are interested in this sort of thing. So there is definitely a gap in the market. 

Dr.S at work 08 Feb 2023
In reply to Will Hempstead:

alpkit also make some packs in the UK

storm-petrel 09 Feb 2023

Scottish Mountain Gear Cuillin sacks.

In reply to TobyA:

No 16

Post edited at 08:02
 ben b 09 Feb 2023

You do make up too? Cool

ben b 09 Feb 2023

Anyone would think you edited your response to lose the No 17 line...

Meanwhile, in answer to your question earlier - Aiguille are the obvious ones (POD alas now long gone) and clearly must be doing something right as they have been going 40yrs or so. There was a thread on here a while ago about a US guy who redid classic packs of the 80s in modern materials, as Toby A and I were getting nostalgic for our old Berghaus Ice Stars. SO potentially yes, I think there would be a market but with the price of materials going up now might not be the best time...

b

ben b 09 Feb 2023

Possibly these guys in Vermont:

https://alpine-luddites.myshopify.com/collections/archived-packs/products/j...

Not cheap though...

b

EdS 09 Feb 2023
In reply to ben b:

just need someone to make the classic Joe Brown woollie peaked balaclava next.

Andy Johnson 09 Feb 2023

> I have had a few modern rucksacks and they don't feel nealry as sturdy as their 30 year old counterparts.

Are they actually less sturdy, or just lighter?

Thinking back to the rucksacks I used back in the day, they were absurdly heavy by current standards: internal frames, thick cordura nylon, detachable lids that converted into bumbags, lots of buckles and straps and gadgets. I think that was partly because the rest of the (backpacking) gear I was carrying was also heavy, and partly because the outdoors industry was generally still selling over-engineered heavy stuff as being necessary or good value.

In reality, unless you're out in very arduous conditions day after day, modern lightweight kit is generally sturdy and safe. I'm very happy that the almost 20kg backpacking load that I carried in the early 90s is now about 9kg, and part of that because my pack itself is lightweight.

Andypeak 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> alpkit also make some packs in the UK

I don't think they do anymore.

nathan79 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Andypeak:

They do make some of their packs in UK. The price reflects it but they seem nice sturday waxed cotton packs that'll last.

Worth keeping an eye on flea bay.  I've managed to get a couple of reasonably priced Karrimor jobs from the seventies-ish.  Light, simple and bombproof.  Sacks like the Haston Alpiniste go for silly money though.

Regret binning my cotton "Pinnacle" sometime in the eighties; it would still be going strong now and an ideal size as I seem to be carrying less/going lighter nowadays.

probablylost 09 Feb 2023

I've got a blue ice warthog. Made in Vietnam. It is built like a tank and I suspect it will outlast me. 

Bob Kemp 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Andy Johnson:

I agree some rucksacks were over-featured but I still get nostalgic about my old Murray Hamilton, which certainly wasn’t. Eaten through by rats in the end or I’d still have it. 

girlymonkey 09 Feb 2023

Agreed, I have a fairly light Montane one which has done a huge amount of mileage. I was wary when I first got it but it is properly bomb proof. The only sign of wear is a tiny amount of ripping in one of the mesh pockets at the side. Doesn't affect the performance at all. 

Siward 09 Feb 2023
In reply to midgen:

Built to send? No

midgen 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Siward:

Any experience of their products or are you just having a moan at the name?

john campbell 09 Feb 2023
In reply to ben b:

it's just one guy in Vermont. all my packs are made to order so there is a really long wait right now. 

Dr.S at work 09 Feb 2023
In reply to nathan79:

also some in a cordura I think - less fashion orientated - mixed reviews so far on the 'traverse' however:

https://alpkit.com/collections/backpacks

nathan79 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Some interesting reviews. Will be interesting to see if Alpkit take not and make alterations to that sack.

Dr.S at work 09 Feb 2023
In reply to nathan79:

yes - I think thats the big benefit of making them in house in the UK of course, you can be pretty responsive, if you want to be. The niggles do sound like quite easy fixes.

Siward 09 Feb 2023
In reply to midgen:

No just the name! Just goes to show the power of marketing eh? 

midgen 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Siward:

It is a bit try-hard to be fair, but the packs look good, just what I want, a simple rolltop with crampon and tool attachments. Pricey, but I'd rather give my money to a small business in the UK than Arcteryx for their Alpha FL 30 which is the other option I'd been looking at.

Rob Parsons 09 Feb 2023
In reply to ben b:

> Possibly these guys in Vermont:

Fascinating that that website has a photo of the famous Sex Pistols / Merle Haggard marquee at the Longhorn Ballroom, Dallas Texas on the 'about' page at

https://alpine-luddites.myshopify.com/pages/about-us

That photo was taken on January 10th, 1978, right before the Pistols played one of their few shows in the US. It was the show in which Sid was punched in the face by an audience member, and continued to play with blood flowing all over the place.

Jack Ruby owned that club at one point.

Now - back to rucksacks ...

In reply to midgen:

yeah that's what i mean. if its built for what you want its significantly cheaper and is probably better built since it isn't mass produced.

In reply to Will Hempstead:

yeah this is the appeal as i have no interest in doing somewhat a normal job. it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest 

Mr Lopez 09 Feb 2023
In reply to midgen:

> I like the look of the Built To Send, maybe for next winter....

Xpac fabric is both heavy and not very durable, so if what you want is light and bombproof you really got to avoid those. Looks snazzy though 

In reply to Mr Lopez:

yeah I've had a few rucksacks over the past few years with these fancy fabrics what have worn out quickly. i have found these basic canvas and simple materials just last forever. such as my dad's berghaus dart what has been battered for 30 years is only showing a few signs of wear.

Short&Savage 09 Feb 2023

If you do set up a outdoor brand, can we have your last name as the brand name?

The New NickB 09 Feb 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Sacks look good, but they claim that Joe Brown was Welsh!

Mr Lopez 09 Feb 2023

Those weren't canvas but cordura actually. Nylon 6 basket weave rather than plain weave cotton which is what canvas is. Very good material if you are ok with the weight penalty, until you snag it on a rock and rips wide open that is

tehmarks 09 Feb 2023

I can confirm through extensive personal testing that the Arc'teryx ultralight offering is bombproof. Indestructible. And waterproof. Why are more packs not intrinsically weatherproof? Easily one of the most useful features of any pack I have owned.

ben b 10 Feb 2023
In reply to tehmarks:

It says something fascinating about our psyches that we are still playing with designing the perfect climbing sack, probably 50 years on. Clearly this mythical beast doesn't exist, even for a given volume, even though there's really just usually subtly different designs beyond the "tube with a harness". There's not even much consensus about materials.

I dislike roll top bags because I like having an accessible top pocket, but there's no doubt the waterproofness of those designs wins every time.

For the OP, if you are still at school then this might be a good thing to talk to whatever version of design/tech teacher you have access to - I recall a lad in my year built himself a lap-felled seam 1 person tent as his coursework. It's good to do something you really want to, rather than because you have to!

cheers

b

Sharp 10 Feb 2023
In reply to Big Steve:

> Aiguille Alpine, nothing fancy just solid well made rucksacks. There is at least one more well known manufacturer that I can't think of right now as I'm sleepy

Pretty sure this is the correct answer. They will also modify packs to your requirements, or at least they used to. Make good gaiters too.

nikkormat 10 Feb 2023
In reply to Sharp:

I bought an Aiguille Alpine Midi 28 with added top pocket a few years ago and use it for hiking and cragging, as well as carrying the weekly shopping. No regrets. I have been wondering if with the addition of a couple of side compression straps it might be perfect.

In reply to Short&Savage:

Yep will do. Ngl "hardbattle packs" does sound good

In reply to ben b:

I will do. I am near the peaks and a lot of teachers are involved in mountain rescue and hill walking and climbing. A bit of a culture around the teachers

bouldery bits 11 Feb 2023

Cneifom Arete's calmed down. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...