Mountaineering/easy winter, in nick, central highlands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Euan Todd 13 Dec 2022

Hi all,

I've got a day off tomorrow and am hoping to get out for a day in the hills (southern/central or east) with the gf. I've not done any winter climbing for a few years now, so it would need to easy, or some classic mountaineering. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for something that would be in good nick tomorrow? East looks very snowy, west more just frosty in places? For an example, I was thinking of maybe the ridge from Beinn Fhada to Stob Coire Sgreamhach, but I'm just not sure if it would actually feel that wintery!

Cheers,

Euan

CameronDuff14 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Euan Todd:

On the drive too/from Cairngorm it was fairly wintery the whole way North from Perth (at least some snow lying around).

Just mind the avalanche forecast, it's looking a little unstable at the mo'.

Mike-W-99 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Euan Todd:

If you mean Sron na Lairig then it was fine on Saturday and it doesn’t look like much more snow has come down.

Wil Treasure 13 Dec 2022
In reply to Euan Todd:

I walked in to do Sron na Lairig today. There's very little snow on the route, but the turf is well frozen. I assume it goes in these conditions, but I decided to explore the coire instead and head over the summit from there. There's a bit of fun to be had on some small icefalls on the way up.The Beinn Fhada ridge was totally bare.

The path in was lethal, about half of it is pure ice, easier to walk the tussocks instead.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...