Scary clip quickdraw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulTanton 02 Oct 2018

Has anyone seen a quickdraw with a crab that you can lock open, clip a bolt then pull it to snap it shut?

Handy for scary clips as the draw is quite long, 30cm. 

If you have one, where did you get it?

Ta

Reach>Talent 02 Oct 2018
In reply to PaulTanton:

The Kong Panic is quite good but I found the sling could do with being a tiny bit stiffer for use at full stretch, I prefer the Kong Frog although it doesn't sit brilliantly on some hanger designs.

AlanLittle 02 Oct 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I have one of those. Rarely use it on the lead, but it's useful for working routes and/or getting quickdraws back afterwards - often saves having to carry a full-scale clipstick.

1poundSOCKS 02 Oct 2018
In reply to AlanLittle:

> Rarely use it on the lead

I don't have to use it that often. Although I try to carry it when onsighting. Had been very useful, found the odd bolt I would struggle to reach otherwise. Without taking significant extra risk anyway.

> it's useful for working routes 

Definitely can be, some bolts are fine with the clip in, and desperate without. Makes the redpoint process less of a faff if you can leave the clipstick on the floor.

1poundSOCKS 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> I found the sling could do with being a tiny bit stiffer for use at full stretch

Yeah, had a bit of a moment when I was desperate to 'panic' clip an out of reach bolt, and the carabiner kept flopping over as I reached out to clip.

Angry old man 02 Oct 2018
In reply to PaulTanton:

Decathlon or Needle sport. I have both!! The Decathlon item is about 3 inches longer. They are useful to say the least.

ChrisBrooke 02 Oct 2018
In reply to PaulTanton:

I have the longest Kong one. I've 'stiffened' the krab end with some fingertape to stop it wobbling. I love it, but then I'm a big scaredy-cat.

Martin Bennett 02 Oct 2018
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

> > I found the sling could do with being a tiny bit stiffer for use at full stretch

> Yeah, had a bit of a moment when I was desperate to 'panic' clip an out of reach bolt, and the carabiner kept flopping over as I reached out to clip.

I've wrapped half a roll of duck tape round mine - works a treat. I wonder if it would stiffen anything else that's too floppy at crucial times?

1poundSOCKS 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> I've wrapped half a roll of duck tape round mine - works a treat.

I did consider similar but wondered if the adhesive could weaker the sling.

GridNorth 02 Oct 2018
In reply to Martin Bennett:

Hi Martin.  "Elasticated" rubberised tape is better.

As I said on another thread. It's a bit ironic that the first time I used my panic stick after, carrying one for many years unused, I slipped and broke my ankle while attempting to clip the rope in

Alan

Wiley Coyote2 02 Oct 2018
In reply to PaulTanton:

I don't think twice about using my Panic if needed (or even merely wanted) when leading. If you are bolting you are bolting.  Watch videos of some of the superstars redpointing. They are quite relaxed about having two or even three QDs  linked to give them an early clip even though they are usually safer on their overhanging horrors with nothing to hit than the average punter on off-vertical 5s and 6s covered in ankle-snapping ledges

Flashy 02 Oct 2018
In reply to PaulTanton:

I use the Kong Panic 45. My partner and I used to use the Kong Blue Light from Needlesports but now we have the 45 we use that all the time. For us it's essential kit when onsighting on bolts. I bought it from Trekkinn.

In reply to PaulTanton:

I bought the panic draw before a trip to Spain in Feb (I don't sport climb in UK), and only used it a 2 or 3 times in a week, but when I did I was very glad to have it. 

I think there are some clips that are straight forward from reasonable holds if you are of average stature, but you can't reach if you are a short arse like myself. 5ft 6in.

mike123 02 Oct 2018
In reply to PaulTanton: Dogging boy , of this parish , has one that I would have sworn was called a stiffy that he bought in needless sports . However I just made the mistake of googling it and now I feel a bit queasy . 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...