Peak District DWS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Hood 07 Aug 2018

Coming back from a family weekend yesterday I drove all the way up the Derwent reservoirs (and back) simply because I'd never been up there before.

The reservoirs were pretty low; no surprise there. But this means that the dams were rather exposed.

The dams for Howden and Derwent currently have very near vertical inside walls of gritstone blocks that would make some rather long DWS traverses. The Ladybower dam may be similar.

Has anyone done them?

In reply to Michael Hood:

What a responsible thing to suggest on a public forum.  There are clearly marked signs about safety and jumping into the water.  

1234None 08 Aug 2018

Not sure, but I do recall seeing a pic on here of someone soloing one of the towers when water levels were high...

JohnBson 08 Aug 2018
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Don't jump in then

spidermonkey09 08 Aug 2018
In reply to 1234None:

What a brilliant photo!

Andy Johnson 08 Aug 2018

Falling off and getting sucked into the outflow would be a bit of a downer.

OP Michael Hood 08 Aug 2018
In reply to Andy Johnson:

I think you'd want a good check of all such things including water depth before committing.

Misha 08 Aug 2018
In reply to 1234None:

Wonder how they got down - looks tricky to downclimb and further than I’d want to jump. 

rogersavery 08 Aug 2018
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

This is hardly a forum for couch potatos - I’m sure 99% of people on this forum are capable of working out the risks for themselves.

The signs are there to cover seven Trent’s / Yorkshire water’s liability, not because it might be dangerous. 

DannyC 08 Aug 2018
In reply to Misha:

From the comments on his picture, it sounds like he jumped! Eek.

I know from previous experience that personally my ear drums would not be up to that.

Dan Arkle 08 Aug 2018

In reply to:

I believe the outflows are grilled 'windows' on the east towers on both reservoirs. Can anyone confirm this? 

1234None 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Misha:

> Wonder how they got down - looks tricky to downclimb and further than I’d want to jump. 

He jumped.  No other option I suppose, and assuming that the water is plenty deep enough, very little risk. 

Pay Attention 10 Aug 2018

Taking into account the responsible comments here regarding safety it may be that the closest thing to a safe Peak District DWS is the Anchor Traverse at Birchen Edge.

Otis 10 Aug 2018
In reply to Dan

> I believe the outflows are grilled 'windows' on the east towers on both reservoirs. Can anyone confirm this? 

The overflow is the dam crest itself-it acts as a big weir for the water to spill over when the reservoir is full. 

There are valves buried deep in the bowels of the dam and these allow water to be discharged downstream (v. Impressive-I've been in there to see them).  These draw water from very deep down, so absolutely no danger of people encountering them when levels in the reservoir are high.  Not that there aren't other dangers associated with climbing the towers though..... impressive stuff!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...