La Sportiva Ice Cube resole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Misha 25 Jul 2018

Destroyed the sole on my La Sportiva Ice Cubs after just a few alpine routes - they pretty much can't handle any significant amount of rock climbing / scrambling (or perhaps my tecnique is rubbish). On the last route the rubber layer wore through into the plastic bit, so the whole sole unit rather than just the rubber outer needs replacing.

I asked Feet First if they can be resoled with a more robust sole unit eg from the Nepal Extremes but they thought not because the last is different. Also asked Lyon and they just referred me to Feet First.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience of resoling with anything other than the original sole unit?

Feels almost pointless resoling with the same sole unit but if that's the only option I'd still do it and keep them for 'crampons on' climbing / approaches.

Thanks

walts4 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Misha:

Misha, its not your technique, its just a really poor design on all of the new lightweight boots resulting in a sole that is unable to take the rough & tumble of a few days out in the alpine environment.

Struggling to explain the difference, but have a look at the old school Evo's sole at the front, nothing like the lightweight, therefore its able to take the abuse for far much longer.

I'm speaking from experience here, cost me 75 Euros to resole a pair of tranga guides after what seemed like a few days out walking, certainly not tempted to purchase any more light weight boots with the same toe design in the future.

To add insult to injury, it was the same sole for the resole!

guy127917 25 Jul 2018
In reply to Misha:

I have the same issue with both trango cubes and Nepal cubes- the first bit to go is the rubber at the front from scrambling on moraine and then the plastic bail goes with it.

I don’t have an alternative to offer, but I did just get the Nepal cubes resoled and the midsole and rands replaced by ‘shoedoctor.eu’ and they did an excellent job. Interestingly the guy said the plastic midsole and sole unit is the same on the evos and cubes just a different colour. I paid 132 euros all in for the Nepal’s and a pair of geniuses as well, which were fitted with an official La Sportiva Noedge kit. That includes collection and delivery to Slovenia. I can send you pics of the cube repairs if you are curious.

Post edited at 09:10
In reply to Misha:

Have you tried LSP direct? After Scarpa started offering free resoles for the same issue maybe they might be able to help. 

OP Misha 25 Jul 2018
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Had a look and it’s pretty hard to get contact details for LSP, which is why I went via Lyon. Good idea though, I’ll try again.

Scarpa have resoled my worn out new lightweight Guides for free including free postage after I wore them out after about 10 days out in Scotland in winter. They put a tougher sole unit on - hopefully it will last better, will have to wait and see next winter!

OP Misha 25 Jul 2018
In reply to walts4:

Yeah the material is much softer. As you say, all lightweight boots have this issue it seem. 

OP Misha 25 Jul 2018
In reply to guy127917:

I think the Ice Cubes sole unit is different but thanks for the heads up on the shoe doctor. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...