Heartbreaking footage of a starving polar bear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Murderous_Crow 09 Dec 2017
This footage is wrenching.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/12/polar-bear-starving-arctic-sea-...

If you feel motivated to do something, you could do worse than join or even donate some cash to SeaLegacy, the conservationists who took the footage.

https://act.sealegacy.org/s/join
https://act.sealegacy.org/s/donate

Perhaps even more importantly, speak to your MP. Let them know how you feel about climate change. And vote for a party that shows it wants to take real action over the mess we're creating.

Sorry if covered elsewhere, and apologies for the emotional and emotive post. Must admit I was in bits watching this.

Luke
Clauso 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Murderous_Crow:

I watched that earlier on. Like you say; a tough watch.
 JEF 09 Dec 2017

How do you know that it’s not an animal simply reaching it’s end of life?
 JEF 09 Dec 2017

How do you know that it’s not an animal simply reaching it’s end of life?
XXXX 09 Dec 2017
In reply to JEF:

I think the point might be that this is exactly what is happening.
 Brass Nipples 09 Dec 2017

How exactly will donating money to SeaLegacy stop climate change?
In reply to JEF:

> How do you know that it’s not an animal simply reaching it’s end of life?

I take it you mean the end of its 'natural' life? I.e., a life completely unaffected by anthropogenic climate change?

Climate change and loss of sea ice is inextricably linked to the ability of the bears to hunt. Polar bears depend on sea ice to obtain food (namely seals). They are increasingly moving to land earlier in the season, and back to the sea ice later in the season, hugely extending their natural summer fasting period.

It is evident that recent change has placed unique stress on polar bear populations at large, resulting in many more bears dying sooner than they should.

From a report by the World Wildlife Fund from 2002, referenced in the Nat Geo article in the OP:

'Increasing CO2 emissions have caused Arctic temperatures to rise by 50Celsius over the past 100 years, and the extent of sea ice has decreased by six percent over the past 20 years. By around 2050, scientists now predict a 60 percent loss of summer sea ice, which would more than double the summer ice-free season from 60 to 150 days. Sea ice is critical to polar bears' survival because it is the platform from where they hunt their primary prey - ringed seals and bearded seals. Diminishing ice cover and longer ice-free periods limit the time the bears have on the ice to hunt and means that they have fewer fat resources to survive during the longer summer season. In addition, lower body weight reduces female bears' ability to lactate, leading to greater mortality among cubs. Fewer than 44 percent currently survive the ice-free season.'

That was fifteen years ago. The outlook today is even more bleak.
 Phil1919 09 Dec 2017

Best not to wait for the politicians. Do what the Stern report told us all those years ago. Stop flying, reduce car use/sell car, change electricity supplier, stop eating meat, etc. be the change and feel the benefit. If you wait for the politicians it will definitely be too late.
 Billhook 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Murderous_Crow

It could also be an older bear simply unable to successfully hunt any more. I'm not sure many older Carnivores die of old age.

I'm not complacient about climat change but I notice there are ever increasing cars, vehicles, trains, aeroplanes around now, and, one of the biggest polluters are the many container ships that bring all the mobile phones, clothing, gadgets, PCs and so on from Overseas to the uk. Trouble is we don't do enough to stop global warning.
 pebbles 10 Dec 2017

It's almost unbearable to watch. I really don't mean that as a jokey pub , it's heartbreaking. awful.
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> How exactly will donating money to SeaLegacy stop climate change?

I didn't suggest it would. Your question reads as if you're being pedantic and sceptical? Apologies if I'm incorrect on that.

SeaLegacy's work had quite an impact on me, and has certainly renewed a personal aim to become more conscious and diligent vis-a-vis my impact upon our world.

I also think I'm not the only one so affected by their extraordinary footage.

It was just a suggestion. If you can think of better ways to stop climate change, or perhaps more realistically mitigate some of its worst effects, you could jump in with something constructive.

In reply to Phil1919:

> Best not to wait for the politicians. Do what the Stern report told us all those years ago. Stop flying, reduce car use/sell car, change electricity supplier, stop eating meat, etc. be the change and feel the benefit. If you wait for the politicians it will definitely be too late.

I do agree; change has to begin at home. But I do feel that demanding political change on the issue is ultimately the only way to definitively address it. Our entire global economy (and by extension people's lives and livelihoods) is predicated on spurious products and services. Unless we (collectively) find the political appetite to reconcile our very existence with the needs of the planet, we're certainly going to f*ck it up for ourselves. This may require some drastic change.
 Brass Nipples 10 Dec 2017

Well you are using climate change impacts as a justification for supporting this charity. Not sure what sending them money is going to achieve really.

In reply to Lion Bakes:

Ok, cool. You've decided I'm off target. As above, feel free to be constructive. Otherwise you're just being a pedantic arse.
 Brass Nipples 10 Dec 2017

If you are going to be abusive do it somewhere else. I have have asked some simple questions to which you do not have the answer.
 MG 10 Dec 2017

Take a look at Jeff w higdon on twitter on this.
 Phil1919 10 Dec 2017

Yep, I agree. So if we are not prepared to do it ourselves, how can we expect the politicians to make us.
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> I have have asked some simple questions to which you do not have the answer.

You began by asking a spurious question about something which was never claimed:

> How exactly will donating money to SeaLegacy stop climate change?

To which I formulated a sensible reply, despite a combative tone and a failure to add anything remotely constructive... Your response was to reiterate your original question in a different format, which suggests you either didn't comprehend what was said, or (more likely) just ignored it altogether, presumably because you have some kind of axe to grind:

> Not sure what sending them money is going to achieve really.

Ok. Cool. But if you're going to be clamorous just for the sake of it, do it somewhere else.

Seems this really has stirred some deep emotions. I'm uncomfortable about the fact that so many people want to shoot this particular piece of footage down; regardless of the circumstances leading up to this bear's desperate search for food, it's a fact that anthropogenic climate change is impacting polar bears in the most brutal manner. This bear's story is never going to be known in full. But what we do know is that a starving and helpless creature wandered miles in search of food. It foraged a bin and found a lump of foam, which it took away and tried to eat.

If there's even a possibility that we as humans contribute to such desolate outcomes (and we absolutely do, everywhere, the evidence is solid on that), then it behoves us to address the processes behind that. To me that begins with awareness; as Clint points out personal change is then required. And ultimately we have to ask for political change: not simply to enforce personal change, but to reach a consensus on how we can responsibly manage our planet rather than plundering its wealth for short-term gain.

I'm out, cheers.
 Phil1919 10 Dec 2017

Just watched the last Blue Planet. David A gave a pretty clear message about what we need to do. Thankfully he provided a bit of hope which may turn out to be misplaced I fear........but I don't think we can say we didn't know.
Pan Ron 11 Dec 2017

I think the issue people might have is automatically equating a short video clip, that shows no other context than a starving animal, to some grander narrative: polar bear starves = global warming is the cause.

Animals starve all the time in nature. Life for animals (including humans prior to our advancement) is generally short and brutal, with massive attrition rates (many animals give birth to thousands of offspring in the full knowledge that 99% of them will become food for other animals within a year).

It's exactly this kind of over-extension of evidence to fit facts that undermines the AGW thesis. If you want more people to believe global warming is happening AND believe they need to do something about it, playing fast and loose with the evidence is the quickest way to ensure that doesn't happen. I say that as someone who fully buys into the "AGW-Polar Bears Are Dieing-We're Fvcked If We Don't Do Something Soon" camp.
 Pete Houghton 11 Dec 2017
In reply to David Martin:

>...many animals give birth to thousands of offspring ...

God, I bet they're exhausted.
Pan Ron 11 Dec 2017
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Don't hear them whinging about childbirth being "the hardest thing". Stoic they are.
 Al_Mac 11 Dec 2017

Human-accelerated climate change isn't hard to see happening. And we're all complicit in it to some degree, either wilfully or by being unable to avoid it. But while there are some things we can't easily change if we're to exist in the way modern society is, we can definitely have an impact. Buying veg that's been freighted from Argentina/Nigeria etc? Stop that. Stop buying cheap, single use frivolous tat, with Christmas jumpers and secret santa presents being a prime example at this time of year. Drive less, walk more. Repair rather than replace. Stop treating everything as disposable. It's unreal how many people don't recycle - our office has recycling bins everywhere, but where does everyone put their stuff? In the waste bin instead.

That video was heartbreaking, as was watching several of the Blue Planet 2 episodes. The world will recover, but can anyone look into their heart and say they honestly believe the human race deserves to survive when we treat our home like this? The Tesla thread last week was interesting as personally, I'm all for someone who is an activist in trying to spur people to change. Sure, it's not the only answer, but if it's a turning point that spurs the automotive industry into wholesale change then it's got to be a good thing. One quote Elon Musk came out with when asked about patents was (as far as I can remember it) "why, when you're on a sinking ship, would you keep all the buckets to yourself rather than pass them out and have everyone help bail it out?". That stuck with me.
 Michael Hood 11 Dec 2017

Whilst the footage is upsetting, unfortunately it's a rare record of a common event.

Polar bears are top of the food chain predators. How do you think such predators die?

Well there's injury, disease and old age (*), but basically all of those lead to difficulty and then inability to get enough food and so to starvation.

(*) - I'm ignoring man's impact so far.

There's also lack of prey. Predator numbers are controlled by the number of prey, not the other way around.

What's man's impact, well besides direct killing of predators what we tend to do is reduce the number of prey. One of the ways we do this (rather well) is through climate change.

What should we do about it? There's no easy answer. It's all very well to go on about global warming and all that but it's already too late to stop that. Can we even minimise the effects - I wonder.

Biggest problem I've always seen with conservation is population. Doesn't matter what we do whilst the number of humans is increasing. Until that is sorted, then a lot of species that you and I are familiar with are basically f**ked except in some zoos and embryonic freezers.

Once the population problem is stabilized, then proper planning of what a stable world ecosystem could look like is possible and then more specific actions can be taken for specific species.

Unfortunately, I think that until then any attempts are basically pissing in the wind and before this does happen, we are going to lose a lot
 Brass Nipples 11 Dec 2017

You just don't get it do you? You come up with spurious stuff to justify sending money that would not achieve anything anyway. Then when this is questioned you get all hostile and throw a tantrum and your toys out of your pram. Oh well.
Brian Mcculloch Glasgow 12 Dec 2017
Heart wrenching footage. We should all play our part in reducing the effects of climate change...even small changes in our lifestyle can bring about a lot of change. I will surely do my part.
I wont watch the clip as it will probably bring me to tears. Nevertheless, we simply have to stop using too much stuff.

My preference would be to somehow have a mandatory reduction of people on the planet or tax benefits for having no children. OK, its controversial, but how else will we stop the human expansion from completely covering the planet and consuming its limited resources.

At the other end of the scale would be for us all to consider our actions. Recycle everything possible, penalise those who dont, stop making needless car journeys etc etc.

One of my biggest pet hates which pretty much distills our horrendous modern culture into a 20cm cube is the Happy Meal. A foodstuff which is designed for lazy parents; easy calories with no consideration of the consequences of the entire process but the stinky cherry on the cake is the plastic toy. How many parents actually keep the tat, which consumes energy in production, energy in transportation and then lands on the kids table, complete with a plastic bag which cant be recycled. It will get played with for ten minutes whilst the family stuff its face with shite and perhaps for ten minutes down the road after which it will be binned or thrown from the car window. These things are made in their 100millions for ten minutes of sticky playtime.

If the governments/major corporations of this world genuinely want to make a difference then they have to stop this and other wastage, and now, before its too late. Why cant McDs make a genuine statement and stop this pointless practice. Put another way, if McDs stopped paying China for this shit but still retained the same cost for the rest of the meal then BINGO!, they can make more profits too. Is this not common sense from every angle?
Post edited at 12:57
Pan Ron 12 Dec 2017

"In an Instagram post, SeaLegacy co-founder Cristina Mittermeier called the bear the “Face of Climate Change.” Nevertheless, she acknowledged “we don’t know what caused this animal to starve.” In an interview with the Washington Post, SeaLegacy’s Paul Nicklen was similarly reported as having “no definitive proof that the bear’s condition was connected” to climate change.”Why he was dying, I don’t know,” said Nicklen."

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/what-everybody-got-wrong-about-that-vir...

Sorry but I had to respond to this. While the critique of the circumstances is valid, I feel that validity is narrow indeed.

The science around climate change and its effect on polar bear populations is well established.

One can always argue the relevance of the climate change model when it pertains to individual incidents.

There's nothing to say the bear would not have starved without anthropogenic climate change.

Individual cases and incidents are *always* debatable.

The point being, is that as humans we *absolutely* contribute to grim outcomes like this, everywhere.

The footage tells a story. It's up to you how you interpret that story. Imagine similar stories being told for every one of the 600 bears dying and not being replaced in the southern Beaufort Sea alone between 2001 and 2010:

https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/polar-bear-population-decline-a-wake-...

As with the work of David Attenborough, and National Geographic, SeaLegacy's remarkable footage provide relatable context to the dry wording of such research.

The reality is bleak: sad and bedraggled creatures in a desperate struggle for survival, not against the natural world for which they are uniquely adapted, but against us. And our stupid lust for unnecessary things.
 Dauphin 12 Dec 2017

The reality is bleak: sad and bedraggled creatures in a desperate struggle for survival, not against the natural world for which they are uniquely adapted, but against us. And our stupid lust for unnecessary things.

Don't worry kiddo, that will be most of us soon. You can then let all your misanthropic fantasies off the chain. How fast can you run and shoot with three quickly defrosting frozen pizzas under your left arm?

D
In reply to Dauphin:

> Don't worry kiddo, that will be most of us soon. You can then let all your misanthropic fantasies off the chain. How fast can you run and shoot with three quickly defrosting frozen pizzas under your left arm?

Grim but funny
Tanke 12 Dec 2017
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
You hit nail on its head-Can we do without all this stuff?
Plenty items wear and then to throw in waste bin which not manufactured to last long unless of expensive ones.
Can you do less of air travels and the car journey?rather best to use public transport carrier which better for environment.
We throw plenty of food to waste also and after use so much energy to create, also what do we need with lights on all the night best have energy eficient ones that detect movement as we have in Europe in hallway.
Perhaps have less of heating on the house and wear more.
There should be a more trains for delivering goods alternative than the class 1 goods vehicles would be better also same as more trams network.
Post edited at 19:04
 pavelk 13 Dec 2017

> Seems this really has stirred some deep emotions. I'm uncomfortable about the fact that so many people want to shoot this particular piece of footage down; regardless of the circumstances leading up to this bear's desperate search for food, it's a fact that anthropogenic climate change is impacting polar bears in the most brutal manner. This bear's story is never going to be known in full. But what we do know is that a starving and helpless creature wandered miles in search of food. It foraged a bin and found a lump of foam, which it took away and tried to eat.

> I'm out, cheers.

The only think this manipulative movie shows is dying bear which is the fate that awaits everyone. Polar bears do not suffer too much because of climate change - their population is stable or increasing slowly
https://polarbearscience.com/2013/07/15/global-population-of-polar-bears-ha...
 Phil1919 13 Dec 2017
In reply to pavelk:

I wonder what sort of video WOULD wake us up to climate change. The carefully researched Stern report didn't have much affect. Perhaps change is too difficult for us. Things will need to get a lot worse before they get better. Strange.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...