Sit start tips?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 22 Nov 2017

Does any one have some good tips for improving sit starts? Either technique or training, both would be appreciated.

Also, out of interest, do other tall people find sit starts tricky?

Cheers
Post edited at 22:14
 bouldery bits 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

As a shorty, I love an SS.

My tips are (feel free to ignore if super obvious / sounds dumb)

Hips sideways. Never face on.
One foot on, one foot off sometimes helps if it's awkward
Engage that core
Get up and established - you don't always have to be popping for the next hold...
... Having said that. Sometimes a dynamic sit is the key.

Hope some of that is useful in some way. I suspect you know all this already though!
In which case... Do some yoga.
 Jon Stewart 22 Nov 2017
> Does any one have some good tips for improving sit starts? Either technique or training, both would be appreciated.

> Also, out of interest, do other tall people find sit starts tricky?

I'm not massively tall, but when faced with some stupid sit start I feel like my legs are usually far too long for this ludicrous activity.

Would you honestly train for doing sit starts? I think it's perfectly fair to say that sit starts are *literally* the lowest form of climbing!
Post edited at 22:50
 KS132 22 Nov 2017

Struggled with one this evening. Managed the sit start and the following couple of moves then just couldn't do the sit start when I attempted the problem again. It was on an overhanging wall and I think sideways on might have been better!
 kwoods 22 Nov 2017

The problems where the crux is just getting off the ground are always the worst. Not a fan. Pick another problem!
 ianstevens 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Would you honestly train for doing sit starts? I think it's perfectly fair to say that sit starts are *literally* the lowest form of climbing!

comps?

Sit starts are a dastardly conspiracy on the part of shorter climbers designed to humiliate those of us who are tall.

They don't really exist in real climbing so feel free, as I do, to ignore them.

But if you are over 6' tall and you really must, then consider equalising things by first sawing your legs of at the knee
 AlanLittle 23 Nov 2017
In reply to colin struthers:

Bouldering not "real climbing" then?
 HeMa 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> I think it's perfectly fair to say that sit starts are *literally* the lowest form of climbing!

Actually you have forgotten the über slick and classy liedown starts (ear to the ground). They are even lower than an assis...

Oh, and assis starts are made indeed to balance things out for the shorties (that can't reach the good holds without using bad footholds as intermediates).

Being not that tall, I simple love them... the more crammed, the better
 Michael Gordon 23 Nov 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

>
> Hips sideways. Never face on.
>

This does make pulling onto the wall difficult sometimes...
 snoop6060 23 Nov 2017

Best tip I can give you is to stack as many pads as possible so you can reach better holds, like they do in Yorkshire.

Or rather than sit, when your mate is not looking, actually crouch start it. Then declare it piss and look mighty confused when he fails on it.
 summo 23 Nov 2017

My kids think sit starts are a little odd, not like proper climbing and they usually don't bother with them and make their own line. I think I may have influenced their opinions over time though.
 DerwentDiluted 23 Nov 2017

I find standing up helps enormously.
 Misha 23 Nov 2017
In reply to colin struthers:
Apart from sit start extensions on some famous boulder problems (and many not so famous ones).

They can be a good way to train strength/power. There are other ways of course. As well as simply adding at least a couple of moves to the problem, thus making it harder and thus better training.

> They don't really exist in real climbing so feel free, as I do, to ignore them.
Post edited at 14:20
 David Sz 23 Nov 2017
In reply to HeMa:
hard to beat this one:
vimeo.com/122532859
 kathrync 23 Nov 2017

> As a shorty, I love an SS.

Yes, me too!

> My tips are (feel free to ignore if super obvious / sounds dumb)

> Hips sideways. Never face on.

> One foot on, one foot off sometimes helps if it's awkward

The real key here to get your hips as close to the wall as possible. As mentioned above, turning sideways to the wall rather than straight on and leaving one foot off are both methods of achieving this. Sometimes you have to be straight on, in which case working on your hip mobility helps.

> Engage that core

Yes, agree with this one too.

Dave Garnett 23 Nov 2017

> As a shorty, I love an SS.

It depends if you have short legs or short arms.

Generally I find them infuriating. At least if I can't reach the first good hold on a normal start (frequently) I can usually kind of bounce for it, but not having prehensile buttocks my main technique for sit starts is to use a thicker pad.

Yes, I'm 6'1', and have always found some SS's desperate.
The situation is improving with lots and lots and lots of pull ups using different grips.

Cheers I'll give them a go. Sitting side on sounds promising.

Some yoga is probably a good plan as well.
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Good idea.

It's got to be better than sitting down beside some rock, shaking my head and then getting up again.
 Bulls Crack 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

They have their point on undercut/steep starts otherwise I ignore them. Can't see the point in doing moves I'll never meet climbing
Deadeye 23 Nov 2017

> Also, out of interest, do other tall people find sit starts tricky?
yes

> Does any one have some good tips for improving sit starts? Either technique or training, both would be appreciated.

I don't like 'em (I'm tall). They all feel a bit the same - crunched up heaves and then reach for holds that I could simply step onto from standing. They rarely add much joy to a route.

But then I mostly do alpine.

Doug Kerr 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> my main technique for sit starts is to use a thicker pad.

Good tip and presumably helps avoid any embarrassing leaks?

cheese@4p 27 Nov 2017

I avoid them. Stop me reaching the top hold in half a move.

This might sound quite obvious, but I often find some sit starts feel stupidly impossible in the starting position until you actually try and pull on, then it really eases. Basically don't write it off by just sitting and thinking, "No way can I do this". Just try and pull on, and when I say try, I mean really try hard. It's usually quite surprising what you can do from a sitting position.
 Dave Garnett 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

> Just try and pull on, and when I say try, I mean really try hard.

If I'm honest this is probably the main problem.
 elliott92 27 Nov 2017
Using a sling step through and stand on the bottom. Grip the top and pull as hard as you can. Alternate between 60 and 120 for different compression settings. Really frustrating as obviously you can't move the sling but it's really good at replicating the strain and thus training the same "crunch" muscles you use in a sit start.
 HeMa 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Yes .

To be honet, sometimes the assis feels next to impossible... but then you find a helpful heel- or toehook or a good flag and then it feels rather easy.

So always look around for other foot holds (also hooks), than the most obvious ones. This also helps with taller d00ds & gals.
 Macleod 27 Nov 2017

This would be better demonstrated than written, but here goes:

Often people try too hard to pull themselves on to the wall, essentially doing a big row/pull up.
In many cases rocking over so that your weight, or more of it, is pushing directly over your feet means that you need to do a lot less pulling. This is less obvious on really steep ground, but still often true.

So... try finding a position where you can lock off your arms relatively easily then see how much of the first move can come from your hips (rocking over) or core (doing a sit up/crunch/twisting).

Sometimes a flag or drop knee rather than a rock over is what's required, but either way it's all about getting your weight onto your feet.

Good luck!

Monk 27 Nov 2017

Hip flexibility really helps. It allows you to get your main mass in closer and over your feet more quickly.
 afx22 28 Nov 2017

The minor irritation that a tall boulderer may feel on a sit start, is nothing compared to the frustration that a short climber feels when they simply cannot reach the next hold, due to lack of reach

Hooray for sit starts.
 Jimbo C 28 Nov 2017

For me, sit starts are only any fun on steep rock. Otherwise (as a person with long legs) they just result in some ridiculous positions and falling over backwards.
 HeMa 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Jimbo C:

True, sit starts on proper slabs are somewhat contrived...

But on vertical terrain, they can already be good. And absolutely stellar on roofs & overhangs, provided they make some sence (not F7A move to F5A problem).
 SenzuBean 28 Nov 2017

Only tip I can add is that using a heel (if possible) scrunches your leg up a lot less than a toe on would, and is often key to not being pushed out from the wall.
 Goucho 28 Nov 2017

Maybe it's me, but I find the very nature of sit starts even more pointless than trying to boil water using the heat generated from farting
 Mick Ward 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Goucho:

Don't go to The Cuttings boulderfield. Not that you were a particularly likely candidate, but... just... don't.

Mick (who isn't going back there, either)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...