Sheffield trees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MingDynasty 09 Nov 2017
Sheffield street trees need your help. If you have a couple of hours spare, hang out round them in peaceful protest with me and other like-minded folk against the 'mass culling' policy. Search for STAG Sheffield Tree Action Group on Facebook for trees on roads near you. There's a lot of them!
 arasham 09 Nov 2017
In reply to MingDynasty:
Unless, of course, you have one of these trees outside your house and they have vastly out grown their intended size and now have their roots ripping up your foundations, blocking the drains and causing trip hazards on damaged pavement for your children to injure themselves on.
At that point, you might want to take a look at the bigger picture here, look at the negatives of situation and take into account the view of residents.
Post edited at 23:40
 gethin_allen 09 Nov 2017
In reply to arasham:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, the issue is not that trees are being cut down it's the one size fits all aspect of the council/contractor's approach.
 Jenny C 09 Nov 2017
In reply to arasham:

To be fair I remember tripping over tree roots where they were lifting up the pavement on Rustlings Road.

But that was 30 years ago, so I am struggling to see what has changed to suddenly make them a problem that in a time of austerity warrants spending tax payers money on removing them now.
Bogwalloper 10 Nov 2017
In reply to arasham:

> trip hazards on damaged pavement for your children to injure themselves on.

>

Don't ever take your kids to a crag whatever you do.

W

Billhook 10 Nov 2017
In reply to MingDynasty:

I was in a wood the other day. It was full of trees. Roots everywhere. Blocking out the light they were so close. Lets chop them down too.
 Billhook 10 Nov 2017
In reply to MingDynasty:

How come they can manage with trees in London (to name just a few cities)?
 Phil1919 10 Nov 2017
In reply to arasham:

I think giving the contract to a privately owned profit motivated company to undertake the work is part of the reason there are so many strong objections to what is being done. In Kendal where I live, we have contractors in and inevitably when the hourly paid workers arrive to strim the grass on the estate, they strim around the newly planted saplings, take off the bark and the trees die. So we have 'lawns' that are regularly attacked with no wildflowers in them, and a number of dead saplings around the outside. I dream of a gardener being given the work with a remit to love the place.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...