Snowdonia in Winter - Kit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martinturner 31 Aug 2017
I've done a couple of weekends in Scotland, winter walking, but nothing major. It's also always been guided, so I've never really packed everything that's essential for a day in on a decent sized frozen mountain.

I've moved into North Wales 2 years ago, and I'm slowly but surely getting back into the swing of things, and would like to get out this winter. Easier routes such as some of these mentioned:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/page.php?id=3170

So, what would you class as the essentials?

I've heard some people class a 25/30m dry rope and a small rack as essential, but some say that's complete overkill.

However, I do understand it depends a lot on what your setting out on doing etc.

Thanks
 broken spectre 31 Aug 2017
In reply to martinturner:

OK to get the ball rolling...
Here's what I take

Plastic boots
Crampons
Axe
3 layer system (wicking layer, fleece, wind/waterproof)
Decent gloves and socks, a balaclava.
Emergency bivy bag
Hot drink
Head torch
Whistle
Phone
Map
Compass

No doubt I've probably forgotten something critical here

As Crewey-Rob says but also some heat pads too. You can get them as hand warmer size or bigger. I always carry a few in my first aid kit just in case. I usually also carry about 4 pairs of gloves, two of which will be thick. Having wet hands sucks!

Cheers
Wulfrunian 31 Aug 2017

Plastic boots?? For winter hill walking in Snowdonia?? I've got on fine with 3/4 season boots for years. Other than that, pretty much as the above list. Gaiters are useful to keep snow out yer boots too. Assuming we ever get any more snow. Raindonia might be more appropriate...
OP martinturner 31 Aug 2017

So far pretty much what I'd expect, thanks for the replies!
 JamButty 31 Aug 2017

might sound patronising, but knowing how to use most of the things on the kit list is as important as taking it.
Few other things to consider:
- Spare gloves and hat
- sunglasses (!)
- colourful clothing - many people are in black!!!
- water, food, gels....

Who knows we may even get some this year!!
 broken spectre 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Wulfrunian:

> Plastic boots?? For winter hill walking in Snowdonia??

I've been glad of them - when front pointing up steeper ground eg bannana gully (I realise it's only a grade I and most people on here could do it in roller skates but I'll take all the extra security I can)

Rick Graham 31 Aug 2017
In reply to broken spectre:

> Plastic boots

> Crampons

> Axe

> 3 layer system (wicking layer, fleece, wind/waterproof)

> Decent gloves and socks, a balaclava.

> Emergency bivy bag

> Hot drink

> Head torch

> Whistle

> Phone

> Map

> Compass

> No doubt I've probably forgotten something critical here

B2 or B3 boots.

Belay jacket
Worth trying out how long the 3 layer system on its own will keep you warm ( ish ) when you are not moving.
 Dave the Rave 31 Aug 2017

Buffalo jacket and hood.
 Billhook 31 Aug 2017

I'd be interested in discoveering what you would actually use the rope for whilst hill walking.
OP martinturner 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

I'd assume it'd be for a confidence rope et
 Billhook 01 Sep 2017

you assume?

Martin, there's really not much point in taking something if you don't know exactly what you might be using it for is there?

You are not going to need it if you go on your own or if you do not intend to go onto steep ground where it might get used (in which case it is going to be a climbing rope and not a confidence rope.

And there isn't much point in taking something if you don't know how to use it - otherwise you'll simply end up in a bigger muddle than you started with.

Start off exploring the hills in winter conditions. You don't really need fancy boots or crampons, although they may give you more options later on. An ice axe will give you plenty of options coping with steeper ground if its hard, solid, snow you can't kick into, otherwise its something else you'll be carrying you can't use.

The kit list by Crewey-Rob is fine, but you might just use an ordinary fleece hat rather than balaclava.
OP martinturner 01 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave Perry:

I do appreciate your reply Dave, and understand it probably wasn't intended in the patronising way it reads haha.

Like I've previously said, I've been in the mountains in winter conditions a few times, including guided days and winter skills courses. As such, I am familiar with the use of crampons and axes.

When I wrote, I assume, I was directing it towards the advice I was given. Asin 'I assume that's why it was suggested' NOT 'I assume that's what I'd use it for'.

I also haven't mentioned about going on my own. I have only mentioned that I haven't been unguided before, of which I wouldn't know what the guide has packed 'just incase' and didn't tell us about?
Hence asking for a more specific list, before heading out with someone of maybe less, or similar experience, than myself. In which case, a rope may be nessesary.
 tony 01 Sep 2017
In reply to broken spectre:

> No doubt I've probably forgotten something critical here

Trousers. Depending on conditions, I'd use my Berghaus soft-shell walking trousers, or if it's really cold, some fleece-lined trousers. Good waterproof overtrousers are essential - getting wet is a first step to getting hypothermic if anything goes wrong.
 ben b 01 Sep 2017
What I take:

A decent weather forecast

Phone in a waterproof bag

Map (either laminated or preferably in an indestructible sticky ortlieb map case) and compass - and a knowledge of how many paces make 100m uphill and downhill

Goggles and a balaclava for when the weather is really horrendous

A spare pair of warm mitts (not down)

A pair of reasonably solid gloves that should keep my hands pretty dry and warm for most of the day

A pair (or two) of thin liner gloves when they inevitably don't

Full waterproofs - trousers with full length zips can be put on while standing, whilst wearing crampons

Trim fitting gaiters that don't have any instep loops and no baggy material (Outdoor Research Crocs in my case)

A synthetic insulation layer for stops (voluntary or forced)

Bright head torch with spare batteries (enough for 12+ hrs light, not necessarily full strength)

Plenty of easily consumed food including a lump of something grim but calorific (used to be KMC but now halva) that has been in the bottom of the pack for the last decade

An emergency kit that contains NSAIDS, paracetamol, blister/compeed dressings, some steristrips, a clean dressing and a roller bandage, a ventolin inhaler, dental floss threaded on a needle (or a 1/0 silk suture on a handheld needle), spare straps and a couple of buckles, duck tape rolled around my walking poles, a whistle (on sternum strap) and an emergency foil bag (not blanket), and if with others a bothy bag built for 5. I'm medical so I have other stuff in there for more worrying things, but that's personal choice.

A walking axe long enough to be useful (55cm minimum) with a classic pick rather than a banana

Crampons with anti-botte plates if possible

Depending on route it might be sensible to wear a helmet... very personal choice but having seen the effects of head vs rock after small slides, if it's firm neve or ice I'd be tempted these days, more so if moving across gullies etc. No doubt some will say this is overkill, and for sure it's better (a) not to slide and (b) to arrest immediately, but there's little protection from falling debris, dropped gear, other people etc and helmets are warm or well ventilated, light and comfy these days. If "just" hillwalking on snowy rolling terrain without rocks everywhere no need, but e.g. in the Glyderau then they can make sense. Personal judgement of risk vs inconvenience but I would always wear one winter mountaineering - and the line between that and winter hillwalking is often blurred...

Also, I take the experience amassed by making stupid decisions over many years and usually getting away with it

Enjoy the winter hills - many happy days walking and climbing in Snowdonia when I lived in Shropshire and Powys. You're pretty lucky to be close by!

cheers

b
Post edited at 08:44
 Billhook 01 Sep 2017

Martin

Sorry my advice was seen as patronising - it was not meant to be.

Re the rope and small rack. What I meant was that you generally do not need either, unless you are intending doing some of the technical bits of scrambling mentioned in the link you provided. If you are on your own you will really not need them. However, if you intend to do them with a friend, as you mention then you - or your partner - need to be absolutely confident & competent to use to use this kit properly.

Similarily, you won't always need to take or use an axe or crampons. I've spent plenty of long days in the hills in winter conditions without ever using either. It all depends on what you intend doing and the wether the conditions underfoot justify taking them. Although some would say if you are unfamiliar with Welsh winter conditions then it may be prudent to take them 'just-in-case'.

Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...