Best Chamonix acclimatization day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayPee630 14 Aug 2017
Heading out to the Alps in a few weeks. First day there plan is to do an acclimatization day before a 3 day course then a chunk of time to climb with friends.

Suggestions as to a good day for this would be welcome. It'd be a non-climbing day most likely, although a non-glacial easy climb or scramble would also be OK.

Thinking about cable car and walk up high then cable car back down maybe to maximize time at altitude? Fitness not an issue as been training already for ages (and it's be too late by then anyway!)

What do you think?
 blackcat 14 Aug 2017
In reply to JayPee630: I started out with petite verte,had a great morning out and not that crowded either,if that helps.

mattdennies 14 Aug 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

The highest you can probably go to without running into a glacier is about 2.5k at Brevent, and you'll be walking down from there. Not really high enough to acclimatise.

Some people go up and sit at the midi station but that's an expensive way to spend a tedious day.

If you're doing a 3 day course then that sounds like the perfect way to acclimatise, you're not going to be pushing hard on long routes.
 MG 14 Aug 2017
In reply to mattdennies:
> The highest you can probably go to without running into a glacier is about 2.5k at Brevent,

No - lots of options that are higher. Le Buet is 3100m. Even the Albert Premier is 2800m
Post edited at 21:37
 Dom Goodwin 14 Aug 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

Petite Verte was already reported to be in difficult condition a couple of weeks ago - likely lots of bare ice by now, so probably best avoided. Snow routes on lower peaks at this time in the season aren't much fun in recent years!

https://www.chamoniarde.com/montagne/conditions-montagne is a good link for the latest Chamonix conditions. Be sure to check the French version not just the English, as the latest version has not always been translated!

There are a few things in the Aiguilles Rouges you might try. For instance, Aiguilles Crochues traverse is a classic scramble with one pitch of III. Aiguille de Belvedere is also supposed to be good, again one pitch that's not too hard, usually abseiled in descent, but mostly scrambling.

DaveHK 14 Aug 2017
In reply to MG:
> No - lots of options that are higher. Le Buet is 3100m. Even the Albert Premier is 2800m

I was going to suggest walking up Mont Buet given its altitude and lack of glaciers but it is quite a long walk. 21k round trip and 1700m+ ascent, maybe 8hrs?
Post edited at 22:16
 Niblet 14 Aug 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

Surprised no one mentioned reading a book at Aiguille du Midi yet.
 Dave the Rave 14 Aug 2017
In reply to JayPee630:

My guide took me up to the Cosmiques hut via the Aiguille du Midi. Cosmiques Arête then down.
OP JayPee630 14 Aug 2017
In reply to Niblet:
That sounds more like it. Bottle of wine and a book at altitude. Save the energy for the rest of the fortnight. Reason for not climbing yet is I'm with a friend with little/no experience and they need to do the course before we start climbing together.
Post edited at 22:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...